Skip to content

Where is Nick Freeman?

Nick Freeman doesn’t get in the squad at Orient. Doesn’t get invited to the WW Squad Photo day?

Is he ok?

Comments

• Reckon the same could have been asked about you @brownbob. Five visits to the ‘room in five and a half years suggests little enthusiasm for our scintillating exchanges. ?

• I hope he is okay - I superglued my hands to the steering wheel of the Nick Freeman Bandwagon. I still think we very much need him, especially in L1.

• Very much agree with that @Shev. Never convinced that he got a fair crack of the whip.

• Seems odd to me that he has gone AWOL from both Orient and Wycombe. The player has got talent, personally I’m not sure what level he should be at ? I hoped he might set L2 alight with Orient but doesn’t look that way. Am hoping his absence is something straight forward.

• There’s mention of him being injured on an Orient forum.

• Even if injured his non appearance on the team photo would suggest we have seen the last of Nick in the quarters. Cue him setting pre-season 21/22 alight...

• Could be self-isolating?

• Do players out on loan usually return for a squad photo. Surely they are expected to train with their current club?

Freeman has a year left on his contract so unless a loan deal that works for him and the club comes off or a settlement is agreed, he will be here next season. he doesn't appear to have set the world on fire in Lg2 at Orient so really does need to convert potential to consistent delivery next season to have much of a future beyond 2022 though.

• Interesting to see Bloomfield in the staff photo - I wonder if this marks a formal transition to coaching at the end of this year?

• edited April 2021

Unless GA has done some quiet sterling work on signings that we have been kept in the dark about I fear as some posters will confirm some of the people IN the picture (loanees for example, GA and Dobbo at some Northern club he used to drive by, all our best players who will leave) won't be here next term but Nick probably will. Does that help?
    (seems a strange point in the season to be doing a squad picture considering the above, players who will leave, loanees going back, etc etc...is that the usual?)

• @Glenny said:
    Interesting to see Bloomfield in the staff photo - I wonder if this marks a formal transition to coaching at the end of this year?

A good point and so much more interesting than trying to find different reasons for not being in certain places at certain times.
    He's on loan at Leyton Orient and is injured. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck and all that.

• To paraphrase Department S “ is Nick there”

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Glenny said:
    Interesting to see Bloomfield in the staff photo - I wonder if this marks a formal transition to coaching at the end of this year?

A good point and so much more interesting than trying to find different reasons for not being in certain places at certain times.
    He's on loan at Leyton Orient and is injured. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck and all that.

Is Nick injured ? I hadn’t seen that anywhere. Hope nothing too serious? But if true that clearly explains his absence from the Orient team and then he won’t be allowed back into Wycombe camp due to COVID protocols

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Glenny said:

Is Nick injured ? I hadn’t seen that anywhere. Hope nothing too serious? But if true that clearly explains his absence from the Orient team and then he won’t be allowed back into Wycombe camp due to COVID protocols

• Other than a couple of substitute appearances at the start he was a regular starter until Mid March. Couple of games not in the squad. Another starting appearance - not subbed - and then last 2 or 3 games not in the squad. Certainly fits with him being injured.

From the local press seems like he was playing well and was influential up until mid March

• @micra said:
    Very much agree with that @Shev. Never convinced that he got a fair crack of the whip.

• Not sure what his 'influential' performances could have amounted to considering Oreint's record in his run of 9 consecutive starts - 1 win, 5 draws, 3 losses, 4 total goals scored.

Since his absence the team's record is 4 wins, 1 draw so he hasn't been missed too much.

• @Croider said:
    Not sure what his 'influential' performances could have amounted to considering Oreint's record in his run of 9 consecutive starts - 1 win, 5 draws, 3 losses, 4 total goals scored.

Since his absence the team's record is 4 wins, 1 draw so he hasn't been missed too much.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Much of our recent good run (and five odd hours without conceding) has been without Anthony Stewart, but I don't think anyone would suggest he has been poor for us.

• @Shev said:

@Croider said:
    Not sure what his 'influential' performances could have amounted to considering Oreint's record in his run of 9 consecutive starts - 1 win, 5 draws, 3 losses, 4 total goals scored.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Much of our recent good run (and five odd hours without conceding) has been without Anthony Stewart, but I don't think anyone would suggest he has been poor for us.

The problem Stewart has, is he is competing with Taf and Knight for one of the two central defender spots. Taf is clearly better in the air and Knight "probably" just shades it on overall ability. We are lucky to have three central defenders of such quality.

• It's pretty odd doing a squad photo at the end of the season anyway isn't it?
    Would be much more telling if he wasn't in the photo at the start of the season.

• @Malone said:

It's pretty odd doing a squad photo at the end of the season anyway isn't it?

I suspect it was arranged just so that Rob Couhig could be in it.

I hope he quarantined for 10 days before coming in to Adams Park.

• I’m really pleased the squad is looking happy and upbeat in the photos

• Not keen on seeing owners and CFOs in squad photos, call me old-fashioned

• The switch to a 3 at the back approach might work well Freeman, particularly if we play 3-5-2 like we did in the second half on Monday. He’s still plenty to offer.

Stewart too. He showed on Monday that he’s the best choice we’ve got for the central role of the 3 defenders.

A back three of Grimmer, Stewart and Taff next season, presuming Knight ends up elsewhere, doesn’t look too shabby to me.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    The switch to a 3 at the back approach might work well Freeman, particularly if we play 3-5-2 like we did in the second half on Monday. He’s still plenty to offer.

Stewart too. He showed on Monday that he’s the best choice we’ve got for the central role of the 3 defenders.

A back three of Grimmer, Stewart and Taff next season, presuming Knight ends up elsewhere, doesn’t look too shabby to me.

I think Mehmeti has effectively ended Freeman's chances now. He wasn't getting that much of a look in before Mehmeti emerged.

The 3 at the back does seem to open up a lot of options though. It solves the issue of having to always leave one of Grimmer and McCarthy out, who will both be star players in league 1.
    A similar situation on the left hand side, with Obita and JJ albeit maybe not "star" players to the same level.

Two up front looks to suit more of our players too. Kashket, Fred, Samuel are all much better centrally than wide.

• I agree Mehmeti has nailed down that role as starter, but it's good to have a second option when he is not on form (or injured). Freeman would be good in there.

Also agreed on the problems solved by the 3 at the back. The only thing is, who gets the middle CB role, Taffs or Stewart? Either way, great to have that "problem" and ability to rotate.

• I think you have other options to Mehmeti like playing Wheeler or Horgan in there, or playing three hard working centre mids in there instead for certain games.

Depends who we sign as well.

The back 3 can be changed depending on the make-up of the opposition. The flaw of the Grimmer-JJ combo in the back 3 is that aerially you lose something.

No doubt we'll switch between 3 and 4 at the back anyway, so it'll all keep everyone (and us) guessing.

• Mehmeti has done more in half a season than Freeman has in the last 3, sorry if some of you dont like that, but its true.

• Two goals apiece, but Freeman would be way ahead in the assist stakes if you are even comparing his last L1 season with Mehmeti, let alone three seasons. I don't think Mehmeti has an assist yet. Again, stats do not tell the whole story, and I do think Mehmeti is the better player, but not sure why so many are so down on Freeman, who barely got a lookin this season and looked really good the last couple of games he actually got selected for.

• @Malone said:

@TheatreOfChairs said:
    The switch to a 3 at the back approach might work well Freeman, particularly if we play 3-5-2 like we did in the second half on Monday. He’s still plenty to offer.

I think Mehmeti has effectively ended Freeman's chances now. He wasn't getting that much of a look in before Mehmeti emerged.

The 3 at the back does seem to open up a lot of options though. It solves the issue of having to always leave one of Grimmer and McCarthy out, who will both be star players in league 1.
    A similar situation on the left hand side, with Obita and JJ albeit maybe not "star" players to the same level.

Two up front looks to suit more of our players too. Kashket, Fred, Samuel are all much better centrally than wide.

The only point I would make, @Malone relates to your last paragraph. I can’t remember which game it was but when Fred played as a left wing back he did sterling defensive work as well as being a constant threat going forward and got Man of the Match.