Skip to content

Allsop or Stockdale

12346»

Comments

• Don't remember accusing you of Rocky abuse @eric_plant . Not sure I would even have to stoop to that sort of thing to get your goat, would I?

• @Vincey said:

@Lloyd2084 said:
    Indeed. Don’t forget Stockdale’s shaky performances last season coupled with the pre-season howler.

It would have been an astonishing decision to start him over Allsop.

I do feel more comfortable with Stockdale in goal, mainly due to his body language and him seemingly actually really enjoying playing.

All the above said, I like Allsop as a keeper and he’s often played outstandingly this season.

I think the difference is that Stockdale’s outstanding is a much higher bar than Allsop’s outstanding.

I can’t disagree with that.

• I agree that Stockdale has looked confident and composed on the field and has made some excellent saves. He deserves the Number 1 slot. I'm pleased we've got two quality keepers and would not be disappointed if we could afford to keep both next season.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Why wouldn't we retain both keepers?

Assuming Stockdale continues with his current form, would Allsop even want to effectively be our reserve keeper? Additionally I can't see us retaining 4 keepers, so one of the younger ones would have to go.

• I hope we retain all four. Particularly the two younger ones, doesn’t seem to make any sense to sign them both and then let them go a year later.

• Big Dave seems to instill confidence in the defence, I love his ‘this keeper lark is a piss of piss’ vibe - always smiling and joking with the back four.
    Re young keepers, we do have a bit of history of bringing them in and spitting them out during the Gaz years.

• It's only Henry Newcombe who was only signed on a trial basis I believe who's been brought in and spat out. Charlie Horlock was originally from the youth team and Alex Lynch was unfortunately injured and forced to retire

I imagine all 4 will stay, with the exception perhaps of Yates who's been here quite a while now and might fancy somewhere where he's higher up the pecking order than 4th choice. It would seem illogical to sign Anderson who has a pretty impressive youth pedigree and then release him just a year later.

Hopefully Allsop will stay even if he is 2nd choice next year. It's probably unlikely a 37 year old keeper would go through a whole season without picking up an injury or suffering a drop in form so he should be confident of getting a chance at some point, like Stockdale did this season.

• Allsop has played some blinders for us this season. There is no shame in just not being as good as Stockdale.

• Funny argument this thread. Which is the best keeper out of two very good keepers. We are not talking Brian Parkin v John Cheeseright here guys.

• No we're not, but it's a valid discussion nonetheless.

Given Stockdale's pedigree and quality it's to Allsop's immense credit that there is even a discussion

• In terms of affordability next season it was in the public domain about how little Stockdale was on. Whether he would do a ‘favour’ for a second season or whether Allsop would be happy as number 2 will be the decision at the end of the season I guess.

• @Croider said:
    It's only Henry Newcombe who was only signed on a trial basis I believe who's been brought in and spat out. Charlie Horlock was originally from the youth team and Alex Lynch was unfortunately injured and forced to retire

I imagine all 4 will stay, with the exception perhaps of Yates who's been here quite a while now and might fancy somewhere where he's higher up the pecking order than 4th choice. It would seem illogical to sign Anderson who has a pretty impressive youth pedigree and then release him just a year later.

Hopefully Allsop will stay even if he is 2nd choice next year. It's probably unlikely a 37 year old keeper would go through a whole season without picking up an injury or suffering a drop in form so he should be confident of getting a chance at some point, like Stockdale did this season.

Just a slight note that Stockdale won't be 37 until a month into the season after next.

• A veritable spring chicken then @Malone.