Skip to content

The Historic Chase

Comments

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Birmingham scoring a very late penalty to beat Swansea has dampened my mood a bit tonight.

It was a really soft penalty too.

• I’m really pleased with the 2nd half of the season so far. 15 points from 16 games, we got 15 from our first 23. Massive improvement.
    It would be lovely to not finish bottom. In a round about way I cannot decide whether it’s a good thing or bad thing if Rotherham and Coventry went down with us should we get relegated.

• I’d be happy to go a season or two not playing Coventry.

• @Commoner said:
    It would be lovely to not finish bottom. In a round about way I cannot decide whether it’s a good thing or bad thing if Rotherham and Coventry went down with us should we get relegated.

Wednesdays points deduction aside what the relegation ‘race’ demonstrates is the gulf between Championship and League One.

• We're not even bottom 5 now !

I really fancy getting past Peterborough now

• Then it's on to Doncaster and Leeds for rail enthusiasts

• @LX1 said:
    Then it's on to Doncaster and Leeds for rail enthusiasts

And indeed to Bradford and Sunderland if you don't mind a final sprint(er).

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I’d be happy to go a season or two not playing Coventry.

Agreed.
    I hope if we do go down that they don't!

• Three wins, a draw and three defeats to top the table. Not totally unrealistic..

@Shev : do the points totals in the ‘table’ relate to the bottom relegated club or the “top” relegated club?

• @Shev

Are these only teams that have finished bottom?

• Good question @Lloyd2084 !

• I don't believe so as there are multiples from some years, eg 2018/19.

• Good spot @chris.

• Yes, these are all of the sub-40 points totals I could find, irrespective of position.

• We would leap over two teams with another win, and an additional six teams after that with two wins. Come on lads!

• @perfidious_albion said:

Wednesdays points deduction aside what the relegation ‘race’ demonstrates is the gulf between Championship and League One.

I feel like that statement is more true than how some in L1 may look at it.

They may say that this is proof that PPG should not be used going forwards.

However, to counter that the 4 teams from L2 are currently 14th, 15th, 19th & 20th.

Rotherham have had two Covid outbreaks and now have 10 games between 10th April and end of season. Including 4 games in 8 days against Huddersfield, QPR, Coventry & Birmingham.

It could work for them but i suspect Coventry & Birmingham may well get the vital 3 points in those two games to secure their safety and push Rotherham down.

• If we stay up, when do we have to get rid of the Terrace? I think we do have to eventually in the Championship.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    If we stay up, when do we have to get rid of the Terrace? I think we do have to eventually in the Championship.

Think you are allowed 2 seasons but realistically they'd have to start to look at it to avoid being caught out if we were to make it 3 or more

• 1.4 Each Championship Club shall, with effect from the start of its fourth Season in the Championship) only admit spectators to seated accommodation, and there shall be no standing terraces.

I've always presumed this meant 4th consecutive season, but it's not clear.

• How long did Brentford keep the old terrace for away fans? I think we went and stood there so many times with Forest.

• Likely there's special dispensation if you are building a new ground. Was the terrace still in use last season?

• Talk of the terrace needing to be become seated is the ultimate expression of Chairfolk optimism

• Big Rob talked very positively about us having loads more opportunities to play in the championship, which was encouraging.

But then a few weeks ago he was certain we were staying up.

• ‘Don’t believe, don’t succeed’...is that an American phrase?

• Or just "believe" as GA once said!

• edited April 2021

36: Doncaster 11-12
    34: Peterborough 09-10
    33: Wycombe 20-21
    32: Bolton 18-19
    31: Ipswich 18-19
    29: Wimbledon 03-04
    29: Rotherham 04-05
    26: Stockport 01-02
    26: Blackpool 14-15
    23: Rotherham 16-17

Hot breath on Peterborough's necks.

• Is the 94 tally the highest Peterboro have ever got in this league?

• They got 62 points in their first ever season in the 2nd Tier in 1992-93, the following season they finished bottom with 37 points.

I suspect that might be some kind of record points total for a first ever tilt at the 2nd tier in the modern era. Mainly because there cannot be that many clubs that haven't played in the top two tiers of English football.

• Our friends from Colchester actually got 69 in their first attempt in 2006-07.
    I've tried to google it but struggling a little to do anything other than from memory.

• 36: Doncaster 11-12
    34: Peterborough 09-10
    34: Wycombe 20-21
    32: Bolton 18-19
    31: Ipswich 18-19
    29: Wimbledon 03-04
    29: Rotherham 04-05
    26: Stockport 01-02
    26: Blackpool 14-15
    23: Rotherham 16-17