Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• Nobody would begrudge him a big move, the niggling thought in the background was always wether he'd up and leave for a team in roughly the same bracket as us but with maybe a few extra £ or an owner with a clear vision. Hopefully the last year and a bit have reassured him a bit and persuaded him of what is possible here regardless of the few idiot comments most weeks.
    Whatever happens in the next few weeks recruitment and retention over the summer will give us an idea of what the plans are for the next 2/3 years.

• He said as much in his interview with Phil fter the match that he's staying. After scuffling along for 5-6 years with no money, why would he leave just a year after the couhig money comes along.

Next year might be the first time in about 10 years we have a genuine top half budget for the division we're in.

• You can't really see him going this summer.
    Clubs are notorious for wanting either big name managers, or managers of teams who have very recently done something impressive. A year ago won't wash for championship clubs, who would just see our recent (probable) relegation.

And as @croider says, not the time to leave when we're clearly overall on the up, after years of skimping by.
    We should all remember that season after the Torquay last day stay up, where we were running on empty with a working squad of about 14 players for most of the season.
    I still remember turning up away at Shrewsbury and fearing the worst when we rested the likes of Wood, and were thankful to get away with a 0-0. Last min goal ruled out for them too if I recall correctly.

• I’d be surprised if a Championship club didn’t want him, and surprised again if he didn’t seriously consider it.

• @Chris said:
    I’d be surprised if a Championship club didn’t want him, and surprised again if he didn’t seriously consider it.

Prepare to be surprised big fella.
    See you back here in August, with Gazza at the wheel :)

• @Chris said:
    I’d be surprised if a Championship club didn’t want him, and surprised again if he didn’t seriously consider it.

I agree...and if he stays I think he alluded to a bigger budget at Wycombe in his interview with Phil. A few summer signings could be very exciting and time to say goodbye to some longer standing servants of the club?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Chris said:

I agree...and if he stays I think he alluded to a bigger budget at Wycombe in his interview with Phil. A few summer signings could be very exciting and time to say goodbye to some longer standing servants of the club?

My biggest positive thinking about next season, is what game changers McCarthy and Fred for two are in league 1.
    Bearing in mind both have been fairly quiet this season, I'm hoping we see a fair number of others really show how good they are in that league*
    (*If we go down...keep the dream alive and that)

• @Malone said:

@Chris said:

I hope very much that you’re right!

• I think he'll still be here next season, unless Blackburn come calling.

• @Chris said:

@Malone said:

@Chris said:

I hope very much that you’re right!

Have to be occasionally :D

And if I'm not right, I won't do a marlowchair and disappear off.

• I spend far too much of my time reading opposition fans forums and from what I’ve read if I were GA and offered the job I’d think long and hard before accepting the move.

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Chris said:

If we lose Akinfenwa and bring in Messi I won't be complaining.

• @Kim_il_Swan said:

If we lose Akinfenwa and bring in Messi I won't be complaining.

To me, it's not all about new quality (at a price) and abandoning the heart, togetherness and can do ethos that has been Wycombe's forte for 10 years or so. I have a genuine feeling of connection and fondness for our players that have given so very much for the club and us and the (albeit understandable and natural) loss of some over time causes me more sensation of loss than the need to complain. Wycombe is a family and whilst celebrating new arrivals, we should be mourning loss. I will certainly miss Adebayo Akinfenwa when he moves on and I'm more than grateful for what he has brought to our club.
    Being a grown up nowadays, I fully expect this post to come back and haunt me when we are trying for a Championship Playoff place in a couple of years and I'm posting about the brilliance of our little Messi!

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    I spend far too much of my time reading opposition fans forums and from what I’ve read if I were GA and offered the job I’d think long and hard before accepting the move.

Yes, if anything fear the stable club with a good long standing owner that comes in for him rather than the shambles club that has just sacked the last chump without giving him the needed financial backing or time. He's pointed to getting overlooked for the Cowley's before and then being surprised at how quickly they were out on their backsides before being able to put in place any of the systems or philosophies he has here.

• I would imagine unless he (and Dobbo the brains behind it all after all ) is offered a life-changing bung that's worth the risk of moving to a basket case 'big club', or falls out with the Couhigs, I suspect he will still be here with @davecz shouting 'why no new players' at him through the Summer. I would imagine Preston will appoint someone before the end of the season and Blackburn will want a 'proven manager at this level' again...but I admit football is a crazy game. I thought both Cloughie. The Rev and the Cowleys were on a sticky wicket when they left lower league clubs where they had built success...and as @Morris_Ital points out...above and beyond admiring him being able to get the best out of 's*** players', most fans would not be giving Gareth much time to get on with a 'project'. To be fair, had we had the money after Torquay, neither would we!

• @Wendoverman I thought he'd already 'fallen out with the Couhigs'? Certainly a few on here were keen to put that theory about.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I would imagine unless he (and Dobbo the brains behind it all after all ) is offered a life-changing bung that's worth the risk of moving to a basket case 'big club', or falls out with the Couhigs, I suspect he will still be here with @davecz shouting 'why no new players' at him through the Summer. I would imagine Preston will appoint someone before the end of the season and Blackburn will want a 'proven manager at this level' again...but I admit football is a crazy game. I thought both Cloughie. The Rev and the Cowleys were on a sticky wicket when they left lower league clubs where they had built success...and as @Morris_Ital points out...above and beyond admiring him being able to get the best out of 's*** players', most fans would not be giving Gareth much time to get on with a 'project'. To be fair, had we had the money after Torquay, neither would we!

Preston have already said they are going to wait until the end of the season and give the caretaker a chance to make a claim for it. Not a bad start for him either in his first two games, draw with Norwich and away win at Swansea. Long may that continue. I cannot believe that if the Blackburn job came up, Ainsworth would not be amongst the favourites for the job.

• I have no idea whether GA would be amongst the favourites for the Blackburn job but remember he never actually played for their first team. Although he comes from the town and supports them, not sure they have particularly strong feelings about him in return.

It seems like there is more emotional connection for GA on the club side from Preston and he clearly has fond memories of the club. If their forum is correct though, it sounds like they want a Head Coach role with player recruitment for example handled by Ridsdale. Given that one of GA strengths is identifying the right players with the right attitude to make the squad stronger than the sum of its parts, if that it is right it seems like they would be appointing someone and then denying him one of the key tools that makes him successful. Be careful Gareth.

• That's a really good point, @DevC - in effect tying one hand behind his back.

• I have never understood how bookmakers can offer odds on managerial appointments when they have no idea who has actually applied for the job. Is there any evidence that GA has put his name forward? It is very sensible for any manager to say nice things about clubs they like as you never know what might happen in the future.

• @wingnut said:
    I have never understood how bookmakers can offer odds on managerial appointments when they have no idea who has actually applied for the job. Is there any evidence that GA has put his name forward? It is very sensible for any manager to say nice things about clubs they like as you never know what might happen in the future.

warning: long boring post..

There is no evidence that GA has put his name forward as far as I know. I used to work for bookmakers, it goes something like this. PNE sack manager. Skybet sponsor the EFL so offer a market on 'next manager' for EFL clubs (note it's not 'the bookies' it's just Skybet offering I believe). They do not expect to make any significant money on it, it's offered as part of their 'product' to drum up interest in their site and hopefully people looking at this market will go on to bet on other products. A (normally junior) trader or the PR guy is asked to knock something up. A list of names is produced of anyone out of a job/recently achieved/has some sort of link with PNE. It's highly unlikely they have any more insight into the next manager of PNE than the average fan (in fact probably less than fans of clubs involved), and very little time will be wasted researching it. A huge margin is put on the book to protect themselves (the true price of any selection is massively bigger than that available), and note the eventual manager might not even be included on that list. A stand out 'favourite' is normally included to drive media stories and business. Maximum bet is limited to win something like £250 win per customer. Any bet over maybe a tenner will flash up on the trader's scroller. Regardless of the profile of the customer betting, the reaction will be to cut the price massively as they have no idea, it's just a PR exercise. As soon as any significant money is seen for a manager, they will either pull the market or make that person prohibitively short in price. Anyone at PNE who gets wind of the result would be foolish to back it as they could lose their job (for just £250). This whole excercise is worth it as evidenced by the amount of chat in the media. I guess people at Sky Sports will have had an input so they can put out the stories they want (GA appears on there now and again so on hand to speak to). Of course GA could be appointed. So could hundreds of other people. But the chance of that bears little or no relation to Skybet's odds.

• You make it sound so sordid @LX1

• It always used to feel like that* when I drew a horse on the Grand National sweepstake at work. I knew it would have not much better chance than me of winning, even before I picked it out.

*Odds stacked against the punter, all done to drum up interest.

• Mostly that seems pretty much reality, @LX1 . worth noting though that betvictor (usually) and William Hill (sometimes) also offer markets on next manager with the same massive margins plus every likelihood that the "winner" will not have been listed and hence generate a 100% margin. Mugs game betting on it tbh.

• @Wendoverman said:
    You make it sound so sordid @LX1

Haha, didn't consider that in the warning! If you think that's sounds sordid I could tell some tales from the betting industry that will make you feel really duurrrty.

• Very interesting @LX1 , especially limiting the win to such a small amount!

You'd have to orchestrate a massive squad of 500 mates across the country all putting £10 bets on at the same time!

I worked with a woman whose sister was married to a very famous ex player who has managed a few teams in league 1 and 2. I always used to joke with her to give us the scoop when he was up for a job, but she never did.

• LX1LX1
    edited April 2021

Ooh go on give us a clue haha.

There will also be an automatic stop loss on the market, suspending a selection when liabilities hit a certain level. So even an organised 'plot' as you describe probably wouldn't work.

• @LX1 said:
    Ooh go on give us a clue haha.

There will also be an automatic stop loss on the market, suspending a selection when liabilities hit a certain level. So even an organised 'plot' as you describe probably wouldn't work.

Haha I best not.
    Around the same time, a new PA turned up, whose partner played for Oxford. She got me freebies to that game where we beat them 2-1 (was it?) where Hylton punted a pen over the crossbar in the last min.
    I was in the Oxford stand opposite the Wycombe fans, but still unleashed some cheers, luckily drowned out by the moans around me :)

I see some punter won his court case to get his £1.8m winnings from some betting company, who tried to weasel out of it on the premise that the "game" malfunctioned. Good on him.

• Thanks for the explanation. It makes me wonder even more why people take it so seriously and launch into all the conjecture that follows? Best to sit tight and wait to see what happens.

• That's an excellent post @LX1 - but as someone who has absolutely zero knowledge* of the betting industry, I'm confused how the max payout can be limited to £250 or whatever. If someone goes in to a bookies and places a £250 bet on Señor Manager at 10:1 to become the next Preston boss, and then he is, how are they not then paying out more than £250?

* I have placed precisely one bet in my life and that was one of those "sign up and get a free £10 bet" offers - I did that, placed it on Wycombe to win 1-0 with JPP scoring the only goal, won about £100 and closed the account.