Skip to content

Championship Points Totals to Aim For

Thought I would do a little research on points totals in the Championship after many said we would be the worst team ever to grace the Championship.
It's certainly been a steep learning curve and we have struggled for points with the lowest wage budget by some margin, since the Championship started in 2004/05.
Here are some points totals to aim for by May

Team Points Year
Franchise 39 points 15/16
Wigan Athletic 39 points 14/15
Barnsley 39 points 13/14
Charlton Athletic 39 points 08/09
Brighton & Hove Albion 38 points 05/06
Colchester United 38 points 07/08
Sunderland 37 points 17/18
Yeovil Town 37 points 13/14
Doncaster Rovers 36 points 11/12
Leeds United 36 points 06/07
Peterborough United 34 points 09/10
Bolton Wanderers 32 points 18/19
Ipswich Town 31 points 18/19
Bolton Wanderers 30 points 15/16
Rotherham United 29 points 04/05
Blackpool 26 points 14/15
Rotherham United 23 points 16/17

What points total do you think we will finish on?

Comments

• Not sure what we will finish on, and although o haven’t given up yet, it’s pretty unlikely we can stay up. But for me, our final points total is still very important. If we could get to 39 points I would be very proud of that (beating Peterborough twice and Col U). That’s 16 points in 14 games, so for example, 4 wins and 4 draws and 6 defeats. Very doable.

• I didn't realise Yeovil had accrued that many points.

• Do we have a lower budget than Yeovil and Rotherham did?

• Seems some are still really hung up on beating points totals so we aren't the 'worst' team in the league.
    Personally I want us to stay in the fight as long as possible and see what that gets too. If we end up near the bottom of the 'worst' list then I'll live with it. Lots of some called bigger teams would have taken our place this season and I'm more than happy with that fact alone.
    No team had ever played for the first time at this level without fans. No team has ever played at this level for the first time after a playoff won in July. We are a unique side and this season has been a list of unique circumstances.

I'm proud of my club and this lowest point rubbish won't stop me.

• Hear hear.

• I’m proud of the club for this season already - I think we’ve done great with just a few games where we really haven’t done ourselves justice. Generally, we’ve done better than expected and I’d not for some pretty consistently poor officiating we’d be on circa 30 points in my opinion. And if Uche and Tafazoli (and Gape and Thompson) has been for throughout we’d probably be a few better off again.

Personally, I’d love to get up to 39/40 points as that would be a really good attempt at staying up and would swell my pride for the club. But far, far more importantly, having a decent run to the end of the season (rather than 14 straight defeats) will have a huge impact on morale and how well we compete in League 1 next season.

• A hear, hear for you too @Quarterman.

• Given the poor start, the injuries, poor luck with decisions and that depressing post-Covid malaise for a first season at this level we’ve competed pretty well.

My pre-season prediction was 37 and I don’t think we’ll be far off

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Seems some are still really hung up on beating points totals so we aren't the 'worst' team in the league.
    Personally I want us to stay in the fight as long as possible and see what that gets too. If we end up near the bottom of the 'worst' list then I'll live with it. Lots of some called bigger teams would have taken our place this season and I'm more than happy with that fact alone.
    No team had ever played for the first time at this level without fans. No team has ever played at this level for the first time after a playoff won in July. We are a unique side and this season has been a list of unique circumstances.

I'm proud of my club and this lowest point rubbish won't stop me.

I am not sure I have seen anyone say they don't want us to stay in the fight as long as possible. You can hope to beat as many low points totals historically as possible, while wanting to stay in the fight as long as possible. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I think every fan on here wants us to get the highest total possible, as we all want to win every game. Having a discussion about where we realistically may finish is not a hang-up, nor make someone less than proud of their club.

• Four more wins and two draws would give us the highest bottom club points tally in the seventeen seasons since the Championship came into being.

• Looking at the remaining fixtures four wins might be a stretch.

• We’re pretty good at draws though.

• Playing midtable teams towards the business end could help us, if today is anything to go by!

• A month on and we’ve got plenty to aim for.

I still think we can get to a points total beginning with a 4

• @wwfcblue : may I refer you to my last post on the Historic Chase thread? That thread is generating a lot of interest and, at least for the time being, is helping to make the run-in more compulsive viewing than it might have been.

• @micra said:
    Four more wins and two draws would give us the highest bottom club points tally in the seventeen seasons since the Championship came into being.

Are you sure we would finish bottom with 4 more wins?

• I should have said “.....the highest points tally for a relegated club......”. It’s three weeks since I made that comment and, as I said in the Historic Chase thread this afternoon, 3 wins, a draw and 3 defeats would now give us the highest points tally (40) of all the relegated clubs in the 17 years since the Championship came into being. 40 points will not be sufficient for survival. We will finish in one of the relegation places but not necessarily bottom.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, I think the next two and the home game against Bristol City are the most winnable (absurd as it seems to expect us to suddenly win four in a row!) plus Bournemouth if they play as badly as they did at Dean Court and Middlesbrough if they have nothing to play for. Cue four points from the Welsh trips!

• Make that three in a row in the second paragraph. Marginally less absurd!

• Three teams got 42 points in 2010/11...

• And were relegated?

• The Historic Chase target is starting to feel as big a challenge as the survival target!
    Oh, what fun we have...... Cue @Chris with Madness, Baggy Trousers and @Malone tearing his hair out.

• Oh I think we’ve moved one step beyond that kind of behaviour.

• It Muskwe love.

• Josh wants to sign a long term deal, Knight vote to Biro

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Josh wants to sign a long term deal, Knight vote to Biro

I'd happily take him as ... I like driving in my car

• Need to put the Blackburn win behind us now. Tomorrow's just another day.

• As long as it’s not manic Monday.

• @micra said:
    And were relegated?

Seemed a reasonable enough question! Guessed they were but didn’t want to wake @Shev up at 3 am just to suggest that his Historic Chase table needed updating. This is a very serious matter, don’t ya know.

• Yes, all three were relegated!

• To clarify: The Historic Chase includes sub 40 poin seasons. So many clubd are relegated between 40-50 that it will be some undertaking to include them all!