Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• edited April 2021

So aside from GA they have a Headbutter, a Butthead, and an actual Butt.

• With GA they also have a headbanger!

• GA back up to favourite again

• Hope you’re not enjoying being the purveyor of worrying speculation @HolmerBlue !!

• Graham Westley favourite for the Wycombe job if Ainsworth moves on...

• Says who @bigred87 ? Hope you’re keeping well, by the way.

• Me being silly @micra ignore.... very good thanks and yourself?

• Just watched the press conference with Ainsworth. Didn't exactly knock away the Preston question. Said what a great club and loved playing there. If offered , he's unfortunately going there.

• All well thanks @bigred87.

• @davecz said:
    Just watched the press conference with Ainsworth. Didn't exactly knock away the Preston question. Said what a great club and loved playing there. If offered , he's unfortunately going there.

That seems to me like wild and unrealistic speculation on your part @davecz.

• Does ifollow coverage start at 2.30? Probably the earliest i've ever logged in but not getting any feed yet

• @DJWYC14 - it's normally with about 20 mins to go here, though a lot of ads in the first 10.

• @micra said:

@davecz said:
    Just watched the press conference with Ainsworth. Didn't exactly knock away the Preston question. Said what a great club and loved playing there. If offered , he's unfortunately going there.

How can you call it wild and unrealistic. They will be in the Championship, we won’t. He’ll have money to spend there, we won’t. He has played there and has very fond memories of the place and finally he is from the North. Not sure it’s either wild or unrealistic.

• Don’t forget the local independent coffee shops!

• I think @davecz needs to know as he's offered to drive him there.

• He clearly does know.

• @micra and @Wendoverman - all I am saying is the cards are stacked against us and therefore it would not surprise me if he left.

• Yes, I'd agree with you, @davecz - I think it unlikely he actually gets offered the job, but if he does, I would think it more likely than not he moves on.

• @davecz said:

Gareth is a master of playing the media niceties game.

Everyone we play is either a big club, great club, manager has done excellent job there etc.

Hardly surprising that he's going to speak highly of another club, especially one he's played for.

• @davecz said:

@micra said:

@davecz said:

How can you call it wild and unrealistic. They will be in the Championship, we won’t. He’ll have money to spend there, we won’t. He has played there and has very fond memories of the place and finally he is from the North. Not sure it’s either wild or unrealistic.

Added to which, he will take a Championship team down to League 1! Ooops.

• Beating Blackburn certainly won’t hurt his chances.

• Dont forget @davecz for some people your not allowed to even mention the possibility of Gareth leaving... he loves it so much here he'll be here til he decides to retire

• If Blackburn ever fire Mowbray I am definitely hiding behind the sofa.

• @Shev said:
    If Blackburn ever fire Mowbray I am definitely hiding behind the sofa.

Would definitely be curtains if they came knocking.

Preston is anyone's guess. Played for them yes, but not quite the same allure.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Dont forget @davecz for some people your not allowed to even mention the possibility of Gareth leaving... he loves it so much here he'll be here til he decides to retire

The possibility is incontrovertible. It was the certainty in the last sentence of @davecz’s post of 1.08 pm which gave rise to the comments. His clarification at 3.43 pm was fine. I’m not sure, @HolmerBlue, who these anonymous people are who you reckon don’t allow mention of the possibility of GA leaving. I thought pretty well everybody had dared to mention it on a regular basis.for several seasons. Certainly, @Wendoverman and I have.

It’s all a matter of semantics really. Let’s all enjoy the rest of the season with the GA in charge and keep the fingers crossed that he will stay for at least another season.

• edited April 2021

I am actually a little torn. As a Wycombe fan I want GA to stay, but he deserves to have a chance at fulfilling his ambitions, and if a club like Preston turn him down, I would still be feeling a little annoyed on his behalf.

If he does go, I would prefer it to be to a club where we all say "how could be turn that job down?" and Blackburn fits that profile, whereas I don't think Preston quite does. Understandable if he does take it, but not a headscratcher if he does not.

• 'If a club like Preston turn him down' suggests GA has applied for the PNE job. As far as I know no job has even been made available. It's like me, or anyone else in the World, or a plate of spaghetti bolognese being annoyed at 'being turned down' for the England job when we haven't even applied. Not sure pasta and beef has the level of self-awareness to be annoyed but...

• @LX1 said:
    'If a club like Preston turn him down' suggests GA has applied for the PNE job. As far as I know no job has even been made available. It's like me, or anyone else in the World, or a plate of spaghetti bolognese being annoyed at 'being turned down' for the England job when we haven't even applied. Not sure pasta and beef has the level of self-awareness to be annoyed but...

I take your point, but to be fair, I did mean "if" in the context of "if he is interviewed and turned down" rather than "if his existing application is shredded."

• I’ve said it before, noone could begrudge Gareth a move to a bigger club. He has done everything required of him at Wycombe and much more. Good luck to him in his career.