Skip to content

Quick Thursday quiz

Which team that Wanderers have played were named after a person with the same
full name as an ex WWFC player ?

Comments

• Stuart [Forest] Green

• Gary Leicester

• Bognor Cyrille Regis

• All incorrect, the this club were named after an individual and not a place.

• John Sutton

• Paul Hyde United

• Mark West Ham

• have we ever played Wootton Harry Bassett?

• Didn’t a John Fisher play for Wycombe?

• Full name, ignore me

• (Richard) Harris FC - Isle of Harris
    Club Leon (Johnson) - Mexico
    FC (Adrian) Caceres - Spain
    (Dayle) Southwell City - England

• I was convinced Cozenza were going to turn out to be named after someone called Jason Cousins but unfortunately they just play in a town called Cozenza.

• Karl Stad?

• @peterparrotface said:
    Didn’t a John Fisher play for Wycombe?

Correct Mr PPF, Fisher Athletic were named after Saint John Fisher the Catholic Martyr.
    Where as the ex Welsh Amateur int John Fisher played for the Wanderers and Hendon and later managing Oxford City.
    I also happened to work alongside Mr Fisher at William Bartletts in the late 80's early 90's.

I did expect you to come up with the goods on this one Mr PPF.

• Now we all know the answer, there's a Scratchy Bottom in Dorset.

• Been there.

@mooneyman said:
    Now we all know the answer, there's a Scratchy Bottom in Dorset.

• There’s a Pratt’s Bottom in Kent. This pratt’s bottom was well covered by a dressing gown when @EwanHoosaami called at a ridiculously early hour recently (10.30am) with some bits and bobs from Morrisons.

Seriously though, @EwanHoosaami has been a great help to us for most of the last year.

• Isn't Pratts Bottom now in the London Borough of Bromley @micra?

• I once went to a local Saturday league cup final staged at York rd.
    The Beacons Bottom followers unfurled a huge professional banner proclaiming "Up the Bottom".
    Its was almost on par with that legendary photo of the 'Bash the Bishops' banner that Wanderers fans displayed at the 1957 Amateur cup final.

• Beacons Bottoms pitch had a massive slope on it if I remember correctly

• That’s right @mooneyman - the London Borough of Bromley within the County of Kent.

Reference to “up the bottom” led me to try to think of other “up the” chants in the football context. I could only think of the dreaded “up the Wyc” and I was delighted to discover that, in Northern Ireland (and perhaps the USA), ‘wick’ refers to something that sucks - ie is no good. Another reason to boycott the chant (if any reason is needed beyond the fact that it sounds totally naff.)

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Beacons Bottoms pitch had a massive slope on it if I remember correctly

Indeed it did, you could barely see the corner taker in the far right corner, as it dropped away that much.
    Decent clubhouse though.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Beacons Bottoms pitch had a massive slope on it if I remember correctly

Indeed it did, you could barely see the corner taker in the far right corner, as it dropped away that much.
    Decent clubhouse though.

played at Amersham Towns ground enough in the past to remember that had a largish slope too.

• Big pitch and big slope at Spratley Meadow, I once played in a five a side competition on Roundwood Road Rec in Sands.
    You might as well have played it on the side of Mount Snowdon.

• EwanHoosami
    Who were you playing for, when you played at Amersham? I played for Amersham Town (mainly the stiffs) in the 1970s.

• Used to hate playing Beacons Bottom, horrible pitch and they always seemed to beat us... and I scored a horrible own goal up there once

• @Thicketblue said:
    EwanHoosami
    Who were you playing for, when you played at Amersham? I played for Amersham Town (mainly the stiffs) in the 1970s.

Slightly different era mate. Early 80s and mostly cup finals played there. Scored "ala JJ" direct from 2 corners in one and still lost!