Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Bookies odds at this stage is probably more a reflection of punters' inclinations as much as the bookies having any sort of inside track.

I suspect you are being modest. It definitely is.

• Thanks for the tips @perfidious_albion, in fact, I think we might have been to the Little Town Dairy.

Since my daughter moved to Cottam I've only managed to fit in one visit to coincide with football (away vs Bolton), but we've seen plenty of countryside* and coffee shops.

*Beacon Fell is a favourite place to walk the dog and St. Anne's for fish & chips on the beach.

• I used to work in Preston. There's a nice tapas bar in Chorley (20 mins south of Preston) that's worth trying once things are more normal.

• Gareth was one of the summarisers on Soccer Special tonight and right at the end was asked about Preston job.

My feeling from watching his response was he’d like the job, but view might be clouded by my belief that Preston would be appealing job/good fit for him!

• That RC letter does feel like the ‘York moment’ for the Ainsworth era.

I hope I’m wrong.

• If Ainsworth goes to Preston the only problem I'll have is figuring out how to burn a digital season ticket.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

@Lloyd2084 said:
    That RC letter does feel like the ‘York moment’ for the Ainsworth era.

I hope I’m wrong.

Which bit of that article prompted you to post that?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Bookies odds at this stage is probably more a reflection of punters' inclinations as much as the bookies having any sort of inside track.

Probably just reflecting Dev's monkey he placed on Gareth yesterday!

• @mooneyman said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

A horrible image has just popped into my mind

• @LX1 said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

A horrible image has just popped into my mind

The adage ’If enough monkeys hit enough keyboards eventually you would get the complete works of Shakespeare’ now makes some sense. If Dev does indeed have a monkey this explains some of his posts.

• I suspect Gaz took the Sunderland opportunity seriously, Barnsley seriously and would take Preston seriously. Although he won’t want to move his family with his kids in school, it gets a bit easier to be a mobile parent as the kids get older. I would wish him well in any career progression.

Early in his career Neil Warnock managed Notts County from the third division into the ‘old’ First Division. He was offered the Chelsea manager’s job and turned it down in loyalty to the Magpies. The next season he was sacked.

There is no loyalty in football and Gaz should take what he can get when it is offered. He owes nothing more to Wycombe and has exceeded all expectations.

• GA has always been very honest about his ambition too. It would never feel like he pulled the rug out by leaving. If he thinks it's time, and the right opportunity has arrived, who can gainsay it?

That being said, I still don't think it will be offered to him.

• When @aloysius skilfully pointed out most of our wins this season were down to Dobbo and Mr Couhig's email, it made me wonder.

Why don't Preston just sign Dobbo and Couhig up instead?

• It'll be a huge loss for Wycombe for sure, the only drawback with Gaz is the style of football and I'd hope we'd look to appoint someone different in that respect, if he did go. It's not worth the risk of changing things at the drop of a hat though.

I'd not be surprised if Preston made the approach, but I would be surprised if he went.

• Preston fan here, btw cottam is a lovely place to live, do any of you think Gareth will come to us? Personally I like him and he is quite popular with fans, I never trust any of the odds though as people like Graham Westley are 20/1.
    If he does end up leaving you best wishes for the future and hopefully you'll bounce back up so I can actually go to Wycombe away.

• Interesting reading my local paper this morning they have made comment about Frankie McAvoy , ex Norwich City coach who has taken charge at Preston until the end of season. The paper quotes Peter Risdale, former Leeds United chairman who represents the owner , stating that the club do not want revolution and McAvoy will be given every change to get the job long term. Lets hope he does remarkably well!!!

• @davecz said:
    Interesting reading my local paper this morning they have made comment about Frankie McAvoy , ex Norwich City coach who has taken charge at Preston until the end of season. The paper quotes Peter Risdale, former Leeds United chairman who represents the owner , stating that the club do not want revolution and McAvoy will be given every change to get the job long term. Lets hope he does remarkably well!!!

Don't listen to anything PR says he is a big problem at our club and is the next one to go, everyone at our club wants change and revolution and FM is going to give us the same approach as he was also part of the problem by being in the coaching staff. All Preston fans want a complete shake up of the club apart from the owner we'll keep him.

But we'll see I guess.

• @alextyson said:

@davecz said:
    Interesting reading my local paper this morning they have made comment about Frankie McAvoy , ex Norwich City coach who has taken charge at Preston until the end of season. The paper quotes Peter Risdale, former Leeds United chairman who represents the owner , stating that the club do not want revolution and McAvoy will be given every change to get the job long term. Lets hope he does remarkably well!!!

Don't listen to anything PR says he is a big problem at our club and is the next one to go, everyone at our club wants change and revolution and FM is going to give us the same approach as he was also part of the problem by being in the coaching staff. All Preston fans want a complete shake up of the club apart from the owner we'll keep him.

But we'll see I guess.

Would you want Ainsworth?

• @davecz said:

@alextyson said:

@davecz said:

But we'll see I guess.

Would you want Ainsworth?

I know myself and other fans I have spoke to would be very happy with him. Personally I'd like an ex player who's going to show some passion and connect with the fans which we have missed when Mr. Miserable was in charge. Plus he works on a tight budget just like us and gets the most out of his players which we aren't doing at the moment.

• Bit wary about clicking on that, LX1. (Note correct use of comma @HCblue ! @LX1 has always been averse to being clicked on!)

• Nobody's ever placed their monkey on me

• As I suspect we got Gareth in the first place because he was cheap, kept him after Torquay because we could not afford to get rid of him and even now I doubt he is earning a massive wage...if we lost him, the chances of getting anyone 'Experienced at this level' who could get us out of League One would surely depend on finances...otherwise we would be having to take a punt yet again on an 'unproven' manager surely? The appointment of whom would no doubt we welcomed by the FB and 'Ainsworth' fraternity with all the grace we expect.

• Someone placed a monkey on me against my will in Marrakesh, took a photo, and demanded payment for the privilege.

Hope that helps.

• Sounds like I need to click on that enormous expanse of blue hieroglyphics!
    Getting quite excited now at the prospect of seeing what comes up.

• I was once chased out of a town square in Ecuador by about a dozen angry monkeys. None of them got on me tho...

• As I understand it (and can relate to) money has never been Gareth Ainsworth’s god but, as a boring (and mostly bored) civil servant, I could at least always look forward to a modest income (never reached twenty grand though) and a half decent pension. The situation of the majority of managers of smaller League clubs is very different, especially in an era when opportunities to make profitable investments are few and far between. In Gareth’s case, he will be thinking, inter alia, about the prospect of having to support his children financially, should they qualify for higher education.

If the owners are as sure as most of us are that Gareth’s love for/commitment to Wycombe Wanderers, his geographical proximity and his total immersion in everything about the club would make it impossible to find another manager in the same mould.

It is true that Gareth has said that he is ambitious and (a couple of years ago) that he was ambitious to manage in the Championship. Well, he’s doing that now and doing it as well as could be expected within the limitations of his budget.

If the owners still subscribe to the notion that Gareth is the perfect fit, then I think the only answer is for them to make offers (playing budget and managers’ remuneration) that would be hard (impossible even) to refuse.

Finally, one or two on here have referred to the potentially destabilising effect of Rob Couhig’s email. The email was addressed to supporters and I doubt whether GA or “Dobbo” would have taken that much notice of it. What was said at the zoom meeting would have had much more impact.

• I should have added at the end of the second paragraph “........, then I would be fairly confident that Gareth will stay for at least one more season.”