Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• I can’t keep my mouth shut @Malone; just ask mrs micra.

I know I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the Gasroom @Wendoverman and one reason is that, despite the wonders of software that, for the most part, correctly anticipates what word I’m about to type (and kingly gives me possibly alternatives), I am still a single finger tap typist.

The census communication tells me that completion will take 10 minutes per person. There are just the two of us but I’m expecting it to take about half an hour.
    I may be back later.

• Jesus. I do actually need to get a life!

• No wonder I get on @eric_plant 's nerves

• @Wendoverman said:
    Jesus. I do actually need to get a life!

Why are you asking the Man City number 9?

• Whatever happened to the brown census forms with names to tick? Talk about Big Brother. Took exactly 30 minutes.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Jesus. I do actually need to get a life!

The Gasroom is my life. Well, almost.

• @mooneyman said:
    How many hours does it take to make 11,395 comments!

Yeah @micra. Keep your posts down to a more reasonable level, perhaps in the 10,500 sort of terrain.

• Seeing as we all know the rules now...first to 20,000 wins?

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@micra said:
    @Hughie is not a great fan of Gasroom 2.0. A founder member, he averages two visits a month. Compare that with, for example, @Malone (average of 145 visits per month) or @Wendoverman (93) and you’ll see what I mean. Even I average 66. Perhaps @Hughie only visits when there’s likely to be an opportunity to say something negative about Gareth Ainsworth, not appreciating (as the vast majority of fans do) that he and Richard Dobson are a perfect fit for Wycombe Wanderers.

I agree that the playing style has been disappointing at times and that there needs to be change in that respect but it won’t happen overnight and, to a large extent, may depend on the development of a few more young players with obvious potential but probably also investing in a few established (but still relatively young) players. No silly money, of course. Let other clubs spend silly money, especially when they come after the likes of Anis Mehmeti. I really hope he signs for at least another year (and that we see a smile on his face from time to time!) but I fear management may have their work cut out trying to convince him that we will be moving towards a more cultured style of football.

I must admit I also checked the visit rate a while back, though looking more at totals, and indeed, there is that unmistakable "Big Three" of @micra, @Malone and @Wendoverman.

I assume you three are going to be off and form a European Super Forum, leaving the rest of us to scrape and grovel for our part of the reduced TV pie.

What a badge of honour.

I'd be more interested (loose use of that word) at total posts.

I bet @micra is about 5,000 clear of the nearest rival.

I realize I actually looked at comments previously rather than visits, but here are both. I know when I looked before, you three were thousands ahead in comments, but I think the visits leaderboard would be different (I just checked and I have 8000+ visits, but 3000+ comments, so it depends on whether you are visiting to post or to loiter!).

Visits:
    @Malone - 9014
    @Wendoverman - 6812
    @micra - 4884

Comments:
    @micra - 11,395
    @Malone - 10,563
    @Wendoverman - 9589

I wonder if anyone has a more outrageous visit to post count than the boy @micra

I suspect I could be a front runner in that department? I would have to be shown how to find out. Does it count as one visit if I have left a window open all day, but checked in several times during the day?

• @micra said:
    I can’t keep my mouth shut @Malone; just ask mrs micra.

I know I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the Gasroom @Wendoverman and one reason is that, despite the wonders of software that, for the most part, correctly anticipates what word I’m about to type (and kingly gives me possibly alternatives), I am still a single finger tap typist.

The census communication tells me that completion will take 10 minutes per person. There are just the two of us but I’m expecting it to take about half an hour.
    I may be back later.

Did it correctly anticipate that you wanted to type "kingly"?...

• No @HCblue, I have a quirky sense of humour and i deliberately chose two wrong suggested alternatives. See if you can spot the other one.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@micra said:
    @Hughie is not a great fan of Gasroom 2.0. A founder member, he averages two visits a month. Compare that with, for example, @Malone (average of 145 visits per month) or @Wendoverman (93) and you’ll see what I mean. Even I average 66. Perhaps @Hughie only visits when there’s likely to be an opportunity to say something negative about Gareth Ainsworth, not appreciating (as the vast majority of fans do) that he and Richard Dobson are a perfect fit for Wycombe Wanderers.

I agree that the playing style has been disappointing at times and that there needs to be change in that respect but it won’t happen overnight and, to a large extent, may depend on the development of a few more young players with obvious potential but probably also investing in a few established (but still relatively young) players. No silly money, of course. Let other clubs spend silly money, especially when they come after the likes of Anis Mehmeti. I really hope he signs for at least another year (and that we see a smile on his face from time to time!) but I fear management may have their work cut out trying to convince him that we will be moving towards a more cultured style of football.

I must admit I also checked the visit rate a while back, though looking more at totals, and indeed, there is that unmistakable "Big Three" of @micra, @Malone and @Wendoverman.

I assume you three are going to be off and form a European Super Forum, leaving the rest of us to scrape and grovel for our part of the reduced TV pie.

What a badge of honour.

I'd be more interested (loose use of that word) at total posts.

I bet @micra is about 5,000 clear of the nearest rival.

I realize I actually looked at comments previously rather than visits, but here are both. I know when I looked before, you three were thousands ahead in comments, but I think the visits leaderboard would be different (I just checked and I have 8000+ visits, but 3000+ comments, so it depends on whether you are visiting to post or to loiter!).

Visits:
    @Malone - 9014
    @Wendoverman - 6812
    @micra - 4884

Comments:
    @micra - 11,395
    @Malone - 10,563
    @Wendoverman - 9589

I wonder if anyone has a more outrageous visit to post count than the boy @micra

I suspect I could be a front runner in that department? I would have to be shown how to find out. Does it count as one visit if I have left a window open all day, but checked in several times during the day?

You have made 2980 comments in 4835 visits @EwanHoosaami. Need to up your game a bit!
    You’ll find the stats (data, I think is the in word these days) if you tap the three parallel horizontal white lines top left.

• That’s a good point you raise about the visit count @EwanHoosaami. I leave the window open most of the time so I’m sure my visits are three or four times the figure recorded. Which explains the ridiculous posts to visits ratio.

• @Shev said:
    Seeing as we all know the rules now...first to 20,000 wins?

Surely first to 19,500?

• @micra said:
    No @HCblue, I have a quirky sense of humour and i deliberately chose two wrong suggested alternatives. See if you can spot the other one.

I assume it's "possibly". Alternatively, I would have a comma after "shut" on the first line and "Gasroom" on the second and would have capitalised "mrs micra". I might also have hyphenated "single finger" and "tap typist".

How long did the census form take?

• The census took me about 15 minutes for a family of four.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    The census took me about 15 minutes for a family of four.

Well done. Must have missed the countdown clock. I'm guessing you ticked the answering on anothers behalf box a few times really quickly.

• Two of mine are kids for whom there are fewer questions.

Your mileage may vary!

• @HCblue said:

@micra said:
    No @HCblue, I have a quirky sense of humour and i deliberately chose two wrong suggested alternatives. See if you can spot the other one.

I assume it's "possibly". Alternatively, I would have a comma after "shut" on the first line and "Gasroom" on the second and would have capitalised "mrs micra". I might also have hyphenated "single finger" and "tap typist".

Correct on “possibly”. I only put a comma before usernames if it’s necessary to avoid ambiguity. Mrs Micra dislikes being capitalised and, at her age, who can blame her. I agree about the hyphens. I looked at that for a minute or two and decided the phrase was quite fetching without them.

I am incredibly slow. Always have been but old age has made it worse. It was very late when I filled in the census form and doing it on this tiny iPhone screen (plus the anxiety that afflicts me when doing anything detailed on-line) meant that my estimate of half an hour proved accurate.

• @micra said:

@HCblue said:

@micra said:

Correct on “possibly”. I only put a comma before usernames if it’s necessary to avoid ambiguity. Mrs Micra dislikes being capitalised and, at her age, who can blame her. I agree about the hyphens. I looked at that for a minute or two and decided the phrase was quite fetching without them.

I am incredibly slow. Always have been but old age has made it worse. It was very late when I filled in the census form and doing it on this tiny iPhone screen (plus the anxiety that afflicts me when doing anything detailed on-line) meant that my estimate of half an hour proved accurate.

You have an Iphone!? That's incredible scenes.

I had visions of you single thumb wadding out posts on something from the late 90s

• I think micra needs a PA!

• @mooneyman said:
    I think micra needs a PA!

He died 60 years ago @mooneyman.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

@HCblue said:

@micra said:

I had visions of you single thumb wadding out posts on something from the late 90s

Aah, come on, @Malone. I’ve referred ad nauseam for years to the tiny screen on my iPhone ! Even the laptop is only 9 years old, used nowadays only for iFollow.

• @micra said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

@HCblue said:

@micra said:

Aah, come on, @Malone. I’ve referred ad nauseam for years to the tiny screen on my iPhone ! Even the laptop is only 9 years old, used nowadays only for iFollow.

Just joshing. You have a flasher phone than me! Bigger screen too for certain.

• I hope you meant to say 'flashier' phone there. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about, particularly one with an extra big screen.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I hope you meant to say 'flashier' phone there. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about, particularly one with an extra big screen.

Key correction there!

• edited March 2021

It just occurred to me that Coventry away was the game everyone was bleating on about being our game in hand in L1 last season, which we would definitely lose.

It was postponed to March 24th, 2020, but we played it almost a year later, on March 20th, 2021, and retroactively got the draw needed to get us into the playoffs which we already won.

Flogging a dead horse, I know, but nice symmetry!

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

Going back to badges, watching the internationals I notice many have gone down the Ireland route, with corporate logos cooked up on a computer. Probably look good on there in 3D but not on a football shirt. Ireland's old badge, for example, was instantly recognisable, with a green shamrock prominent. The current one takes a while to decipher. France's cockerell looks like it's had a vindaloo nowadays. Doesn't really matter, just some bored lockdown observations.

• It's tempting to have a "greatest badge" tournament based on this observation, but I don't have the know-how to add the badges.

For me, some iconic ones:

Wolves
    Blackpool
    Manchester United
    Birmingham City
    Luton
    Blackburn
    Sheffield Wednesday (old badge)

• I'm a big fan of Southampton's