Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• I can't see it. Even with the context of our lack of money, it is rare for anyone to hire a relegated manager at the level he just left, even for appearances.

• I just had a quick look on skybet... Gareth is currently the favourite

• I thought he left for his beloved QPR a couple of seasons ago. Costa in Marlow for Greggs in Preston? I'm not convinced...

• Looking on Twitter for info and what a kit this was:

As an aside, why did they wear their change kit at Wembley? Clash of shorts?

• @Brownie said:

Interim manager in place till the end of the season. Could they come for Gareth in the Summer?

Ask Dev!

• If Ainsworth went in the summer to Preston, could we see Blooms and Bayo as new joint managers?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I just had a quick look on skybet... Gareth is currently the favourite

Indeed - 5/1 favourite currently.

• @davecz said:
    If Ainsworth went in the summer to Preston, could we see Blooms and Bayo as new joint managers?

Doesn't seem the obvious choice at all to me.

• Reckon theres not much chance of Bayo going into management, too much media stuff going on already, he seems happier there

• If Ainsworth takes over at Celtic while Blooms and Bayo go to Sheffeld United will Paul Tisdale come in at Wycombe?

• Has Dave Tarpey gone into management yet?

• edited March 2021

Alan Smith is still available to replace Gareth and he's itching to get back into management!

• @mooneyman said:
    Alan Smith is still available to replace Gareth and he's itching to get back into management!

As a joke that is so upsetting even Frankie Boyle refused it.

• Alan Smith & Tony Adams as joint managers would be my ideal choice ...

at Peterborough.

A perfect match for all those involved.

• I did not witness the glory years under those two titans...how did it go?

• Despite his lack of experience, I think hiring Blooms for the sake of culture continuity might be less of a risk than hiring a proven manager who is a sourpuss and throws his players under the bus.

That being said, I don't think GA is going anywhere.

• Many people thought Sir Alec Ferguson was a sourpuss, but he didn't do to bad as a manager @Shev!

• Dobbo would me my choice, only worry would be he will follow Gareth if and when he decides to go

• @mooneyman said:
    Many people thought Sir Alec Ferguson was a sourpuss, but he didn't do to bad as a manager @Shev!

Fair, but I do think the context of our culture means it could be quickly eroded. You could argue Fergie went in to fix a culture, whereas we already have a strong culture which needs maintaining.

That being said, if Fergie comes out of retirement...

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Dobbo would me my choice, only worry would be he will follow Gareth if and when he decides to go

Whilst Gareth has family connections in the northwest, Dobbo and family are well settled in the New Forest area and may be less likely to consider such a distant move.
    I also wonder for how long Blooms (another family man) will want to commute from Suffolk.

• It's a good point, and one people often forget when discussing whether a manager will move.

Gaz is a family man and he's got kids at school. Big decision to either uproot the family or commit to spending a lot of time away from them. I'd be much more worried if he was being linked to QPR (let's be honest, if he ever gets offered that job he'd take it) or even Reading (Christ, I'm beginning to sound like Dev!)

Don't forget as well that Preston fans seem very disillusioned with their owner. The consensus seems to be that Alex Neill got off to a really good start, but then all the best players were sold and he was given none of it to strengthen the side with. Not sure that's what Gaz will be looking for. Time will tell, but I don't think he will leave us for Preston

• The Germany job is up for grabs after the Euros. Who will we get in to replace GA?

• edited March 2021

@eric_plant totally agree. It will have to be QPR for Gareth to leave us I reckon. I may be wrong but I don't think he is one of those managers who wants to leap/get sacked from club after club...and of course Dobbo would go with him, he's the one who really makes all the decisions after all. :smile:

• Job stability is so rare in football, it would surely take a lot for GA to move away from the support he has at Wycombe to keep building on the foundation he has painstakingly laid.

• edited March 2021

TACRITE, Eric.

My take is this.

they may well not get offered the Preston job but if they do......

Personally I can't see GA wanting to take a new job without taking Dobbo with him - their success seems to come as a very much a double act.

Like Eric, I have no doubt that if QPR were offered, he and Dobbo would be off. It would be hard to blame them. Similarly Reading but that seems less likely. Bristol City and Bournemouth the only other championship sides within realistic commuting distance for both but doesn't look like any of the latter three jobs likely to come up in the near future and probably unlikely that GA would land any of those anyway.

The other alternative would be to go to one of the big Lg1 teams that really should be higher (Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton) and aim to push higher in the leagues via them, but of those only Portsmouth is accessible to both for a commute and that job may be gone if Cowley does OK in his trial period.

I suppose question that only GA and Dobbo can answer, if job is offered, is just how much do they want a Championship level job (and the salary that goes with it). If they do, they might just have to face relocating (or living away from their families) as it might be a long time before a commutable opportunity comes up. But is that Championship ambition really worth moving families for when they have a secure role with us? I'm not convinced it is but that is a decision only the two of them can make.

The other issue that might just push them to jump is the expectation level of Couhig and of a section of the fans. That (to my mind illjudged) email from Couhig suggested that Couhig has higher expectations than GA may consider realistic and I read his email as suggesting that if we were mid table next year GA's secure job may not be that secure. Could that be the thing that tips a finely balanced decision the wrong way?

All a huge load of guesswork and the big assumption that he will get offered the job anyway, but overall I think my money would be firmly on GA starting next season at AP though.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought he left for his beloved QPR a couple of seasons ago. Costa in Marlow for Greggs in Preston? I'm not convinced...

It’s Starbucks in Marlow....BWK

• A Blooms & Dobbo combo would be the ideal replacement for Gaz in my eyes. Whether that was Dobbo as manager with Blooms as assistant to learn the craft or Blooms as manager with Dobbo to help support him, could be a good idea in my opinion.

• I have to say I’m slightly less convinced than some others that Gareth won’t go if he gets a decent offer from PNE. It’s a good job that keeps him in the Championship at a club he has links to and offers the kind of progression that is always going to be hard to achieve at Wycombe.

I would imagine that for the first time for a long while he’s a little concerned about his job security. Should we start next season badly and find ourselves in the bottom third of League One by around November, there could be some pressure on Rob Couhig to look elsewhere.

I desperately hope not, but I do just wonder whether he might be tempted. And if he does I think there would be every chance that he’d take Dobbo and Blooms with him given he doesn’t have a huge management team.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    I have to say I’m slightly less convinced than some others that Gareth won’t go if he gets a decent offer from PNE. It’s a good job that keeps him in the Championship at a club he has links to and offers the kind of progression that is always going to be hard to achieve at Wycombe.

I would imagine that for the first time for a long while he’s a little concerned about his job security. Should we start next season badly and find ourselves in the bottom third of League One by around November, there could be some pressure on Rob Couhig to look elsewhere.

I desperately hope not, but I do just wonder whether he might be tempted. And if he does I think there would be every chance that he’d take Dobbo and Blooms with him given he doesn’t have a huge management team.

I know football is a travelling game, but Preston would be quite an upset to Gareth geographically when he's so settled in Berkshire.

Let alone to Dobbo and Bloomfield.

• It might also be his last chance. If things aren’t immediately successful next season, Championship clubs aren’t going to be calling with offers.