Skip to content

Allsop or Stockdale

Comments

• I was keen to get Stockdale in and see if he was more assertive, but even I'd say that the clean sheets count might have as much to do with the make up of the back 4, which has been pretty good since Stockdale came in, by comparison with some of the makeshift arrangements we had earlier in the season, as with the choice of goalkeeper. I'd say Stockdale's done pretty well, but this is too simplistic a comparison.

• Stockdale's command of his penalty area and willingness to come out and 'sweep up' have made a big difference.

• Stockdale looks good to me...he’s my pick at the moment

• Stoke dale all day long.

• If we can only afford one keeper plus Yates/Anderson next season, then Stockdale has to be the one we keep.

• Sorry Rocky... but I'm in the Stockdale camp as well

• Is this the only thread on the gasroom designed for singling out one player for abuse or do we have others?

• Where’s the abuse @drcongo ? Or are you straining at the leash to abuse one or both of these two fine stoppers?

I agree with both @our_frank and @Vital
    (agnostic and devout respectively) and, if he were not at an age when most players hang up their boots (36 in September) Stockdale would get my vote. If the ages were reversed, I’d have no hesitation but his age (and perhaps his own uncertainty whether to carry on) do give me pause for thought.

• There's plenty over the last three pages @micra

• Aah, sorry. Rarely one to look back, me.

• @drcongo said:
    Is this the only thread on the gasroom designed for singling out one player for abuse or do we have others?

Agreed and for that reason my views on the goalkeeper subject will not be posted again on this thread. We are very lucky to have two good keepers. I’m going to now choose between a bacon and sausage sandwich for breakfast. Not sure if there are any parallels there.

• Have bacon AND sausage. Live your best life.

• @drcongo said:
    Have bacon AND sausage. Live your best life.

And once more I agree and we haven’t even gone to the ‘what sauce’ debate.

But I suppose that is also the point on this thread. It seems to be based on having to choose but, in fact, we can have both and live our best lives.

• Both are out of contract at the end of the season and it will be interesting what Ainsworth does. Sign one or both or let them go. @drcongo - people are expressing an opinion, something I thought you championed.

• We have two good keepers let's rejoice or alternatively let's say one of them is crap. Stockdale is playing well at the moment so he gets the nod but I have no problems with Rocky. @drcongo stop with that silencing of opinion again even your own opinion about other people's opinion. Disgraceful stuff. @Right_in_the_Middle sausage and bacon...why deny yourself?

• The word "abuse" has lost all meaning

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

And once more I agree and we haven’t even gone to the ‘what sauce’ debate.

But I suppose that is also the point on this thread. It seems to be based on having to choose but, in fact, we can have both and live our best lives.

Hold on are you telling me I can have both tomato ketchup and HP sauces.....at the same time!
    Whole world’s gone mad.

• @drcongo What abuse? Provide some examples.

All I can see is some questioning of both goalkeepers, in the context of fans debating which should be picked when they're both fit. I don't see abuse. It's no different, surely, to you saying the other week that you "didn't get Dominic Gape". I might completely disagree with you, but it's hardly abuse to air the thought.

• No matter what happens, I hope Rocky is looked back on fondness for his role in the promotion season. The mad scramble against Peterborough and the majestic save against Dickey in the final are my two favourite Allsop moments. He also released Fred to win that penalty. Of course he has some weaknesses, but he has had some massive hero moments.

• 50-50 call on keepers really. Depends on their wages etc.

More interested to see what happens with Bayo/Bloomfield etc. Do we think they are 100% into retirement?
    Sad end for Bayo if so in a struggle of a season not scoring and with no fans.

• @Malone said:
    50-50 call on keepers really. Depends on their wages etc.

More interested to see what happens with Bayo/Bloomfield etc. Do we think they are 100% into retirement?

Absolutely. Statues in the car park for their amazing individual contributions to the club but definitely no contracts for next year.

• @davecz said:

@Malone said:
    50-50 call on keepers really. Depends on their wages etc.

Absolutely. Statues in the car park for their amazing individual contributions to the club but definitely no contracts for next year.

I was intrigued to hear Ainsworth say JJ was an able "deputy" with Obita out.

I presume it was just a turn of phrase, rather than a signal that there's been a changing of the guard at left back.

• I picked up on that as well, Obita is certainly quicker , but from what I've seen JJ is better defensively, as well as our set piece take and leading goal scorer !!

• Totally agree @ChasHarps.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I picked up on that as well, Obita is certainly quicker , but from what I've seen JJ is better defensively, as well as our set piece take and leading goal scorer !!

Notwithstanding @ChasHarps, JJ also has the more outrageous "lockdown" mop in the squad!

• Have you seen Thomasz Schafferknacker’s lockdown locks?

• I would if I could spell it!?

• Back to this thread. Stockdale’s distribution is 2nd to none. It’s like have a world class midfielder in goal when he gets the ball in his hand.

• Shall we rejoice on having two excellent players in a positon or shall we slag one off in order to question the manager's ability? Its a conundrum...

• What are you talking about?