Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• @Shev said:
    In more fun news, Peterborough and Sunderland are both looking increasingly likely to go up automatically.

Mind you, part of me would rather be in a different division than them.

Both on my list of clubs I’d very happily never play again.

• I would imagine any digs about 40 people from Coventry being present were probably just annoyance at the fact we’ve been following the rules and they clearly weren’t.

If I’d been on the mic I’d have said much the same.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Given the club are going to start trying to sell season tickets to us in the next few days, thought the team might have done a slightly better marketing job. Of course I'll buy one but watching that kind of game every week isn't going to be much fun in any division.

Am I the only one who heard the RTB "wouldn't want to watch that every week" klaxon in my head when reading this?

• Odd afternoon in so many ways. No real urgency from either side and a lack of any quality we’ve come to expect in this league. An awful pitch didn’t help.
    Didn’t see so much cheating today and the ref wasn’t seeking to be the star either.

No real point to our attack until Bayo came on. How long will we continue to play Uche as a target man?

Interesting the club media team are coming in for some stick today. If you are going to be as outstanding as our team are you have to sometimes be a bit different. The ease some suddenly turn it in to an outrage is very modern day. I haven’t read or heard anything that sounds wrong today but some obviously have.

• @drcongo said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Given the club are going to start trying to sell season tickets to us in the next few days, thought the team might have done a slightly better marketing job. Of course I'll buy one but watching that kind of game every week isn't going to be much fun in any division.

Am I the only one who heard the RTB "wouldn't want to watch that every week" klaxon in my head when reading this?

I was acutely aware as I typed it that was how it would come across but to be honest too many recent performances have been excruciating to witness.

• edited March 2021

@PBo said:

@jessvl1 said:
    Disappointed with the media team today.

Distasteful and unnecessary tweet before the game about playing in Birmingham, and commentary had an air of being thoroughly bored and unimpressed, taking numerous spiteful shots at the referee and the Coventry board members.

Well at the risk of being distasteful and unnecessary, I found pretty much the only entertaining thing about the game today to be the fact that no-one can be arsed to take down the Birmingham cardboard cutout fan pics when the temporary tenants have a game. Looks very odd.

How bad are Birmingham to watch if their cardboard fans prefer to attend a drab 0-0 between Coventry and Wycombe?

• I think there’s quite an interesting shift from the idea that your watching your local team should be enjoyable and entertaining, to just desperately wanting them to win or not lose. Maybe because all the football in the world is available on TV, so the entertainment aspect is found elsewhere.

Pretty muddled that, apologies.

• Can chaos be disorganised? I’ve often heard it described as organised but surely neither manager could have planned such an uncontrolled shapeless low skill spectacle.

I have the impression that very few of the Gasroom regulars were watching today and probably even fewer of the wider fan base. Just as well, at a time when the club will be hoping that substantial numbers will be renewing their season tickets or committing to one for the first time.

Enjoy the international break, peeps.

Oh, @Malone - it was our house, I think, rather than home. Doesn’t particularly matter but more suited to the Madness context.

• @peterparrotface said:
    I think there’s quite an interesting shift from the idea that your watching your local team should be enjoyable and entertaining, to just desperately wanting them to win or not lose. Maybe because all the football in the world is available on TV, so the entertainment aspect is found elsewhere.

It's one of those things isn't it. You can deal with crappy football if the results are there.
    If you're not winning, and not playing good stuff, you're in an awkward place.

This is why Mourinho is constantly getting found out these days, for a top level example.

• @micra said:
    Can chaos be disorganised? I’ve often heard it described as organised but surely neither manager could have planned such an uncontrolled shapeless low skill spectacle.

I have the impression that very few of the Gasroom regulars were watching today and probably even fewer of the wider fan base. Just as well, at a time when the club will be hoping that substantial numbers will be renewing their season tickets or committing to one for the first time.

Enjoy the international break, peeps.

Oh, @Malone - it was our house, I think, rather than home. Doesn’t particularly matter but more suited to the Madness context.

You're probably right. But it wasn't planned as a link to that dreadful style of music was it?

And thank goodness for a 2 week break. It's moved from a superb lift from the lockdowns and restrictions, to a relentless grind to be honest.

• Nick Freeman is either injured or out of favour. Or maybe he’s been recalled to provide a calming influence amongst all the hot potato activity.

• @peterparrotface said:
    I think there’s quite an interesting shift from the idea that your watching your local team should be enjoyable and entertaining, to just desperately wanting them to win or not lose. Maybe because all the football in the world is available on TV, so the entertainment aspect is found elsewhere.

Thought about this at the end if we'd nicked a win. Would that have been worth it, to be so drab and nick a goal from a corner, which will still probably end in relegation?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I was acutely aware as I typed it that was how it would come across but to be honest too many recent performances have been excruciating to witness.

Don’t worry, you’re clearly not alone. Quite a lot of us don’t want to watch that every week. I still pay the tenner and have it on, but I get on with other things during the game these days. It’s a bit like watching the barely alive stragglers dragging themselves over the line at the back of a marathon.

• Disappointing game that we could have nicked but would not have deserved to. I can only assume the lack of on pitch entertainment has led to the attacks on the commentary ('Cecil'? Really? I dont remember @bluntphil being referred to as 'Catchpole') which I thought was fine. More irritating was being able to hear the local reporters barking on. I don't hold with the idea that everything will turn to s*** next year either...though lower ST prices sounds nice. ;?

• @drcongo said:
    It’s a bit like watching the barely alive stragglers dragging themselves over the line at the back of a marathon.

But those marathon strugglers are all achieving things personal to them and the people who love and support them. They may actually be adding cash to charities or achieving life goals. I'd say at those moments they are more alive than many will ever be.

Games with little riding on them in empty stadiums are much more pointless than those marathon runners. Tough watch today on a horrible surface. Wouldn't want to watch games on that twice a week like those unfortunate cardboard cut outs.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Disappointing game that we could have nicked but would not have deserved to. I can only assume the lack of on pitch entertainment has led to the attacks on the commentary ('Cecil'? Really? I dont remember @bluntphil being referred to as 'Catchpole') which I thought was fine. More irritating was being able to hear the local reporters barking on. I don't hold with the idea that everything will turn to s*** next year either...though lower ST prices sounds nice. ;?

Each to their own innit.

I personally shudder when seeing middle aged/old blokes referring to Stewart as "Tools".
    :)

While we certainly can't take it for granted that we'll suddenly morph from fodder to instant contenders after a season of barely stringing two attacks together, I also don't think we'll be one of those teams that plummet through the tiers. They normally have a high element of criminal mismanagement going on too.

• Just back from the game. It was indeed a dire, tedious spectacle between two teams who looked scared of losing. I thought Tafazolli and Gape were excellent and Stewart recovered well from a shaky start. We look short of confidence and belief after a run of poor results. Still alive going into the Easter games but we now need a miracle to survive. The fat lady has cleared her throat.

• @Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Disappointing game that we could have nicked but would not have deserved to. I can only assume the lack of on pitch entertainment has led to the attacks on the commentary ('Cecil'? Really? I dont remember @bluntphil being referred to as 'Catchpole') which I thought was fine. More irritating was being able to hear the local reporters barking on. I don't hold with the idea that everything will turn to s*** next year either...though lower ST prices sounds nice. ;?

Each to their own innit.

I personally shudder when seeing middle aged/old blokes referring to Stewart as "Tools".

While we certainly can't take it for granted that we'll suddenly morph from fodder to instant contenders after a season of barely stringing two attacks together, I also don't think we'll be one of those teams that plummet through the tiers. They normally have a high element of criminal mismanagement going on too.

You understand Tools himself is a grown man?

• Confidence was lacking from the start...I agree. In that circumstance it’s a good point away in the Championship...against a club who always beat us.

• @prufrock_91 said:

@Malone said:

@Wendoverman said:

Each to their own innit.

You understand Tools himself is a grown man?

A young man yes. Not a middle aged/old man.

• edited March 2021

@glasshalffull said:
    Just back from the game. It was indeed a dire, tedious spectacle between two teams who looked scared of losing. I thought Tafazolli and Gape were excellent and Stewart recovered well from a shaky start. We look short of confidence and belief after a run of poor results. Still alive going into the Easter games but we now need a miracle to survive. The fat lady has cleared her throat.

We needed something incredible a while back. We need some sort of multi team massive fraud and huge deductions all round now.
    That'd be a horrible way to stay up though!

• Last season we were eighth in the league when first lockdown stopped all our games, we were looking towards a play~off place at best. Points per game came into play. Suddenly we were placed third in the league and in the play offs. I still do not understand how that worked, three cup finals later into the championship we went. We were all on cloud nine with high expectations. This season has gone as I expected, I can live with going back into league one. The players, staff and owners have all worked at maximum to stay in the Championship but at this time it would appear unlikely. No shame in not having the ability, the shame would be if efforts by all parties within the club were below 100%. We can moan all we like about referees, injuries, players off form but history will only show the facts at season’s end. The experience of this season for all concerned within the club will ensure next season Championship football can be achieved with all of us back in the stands, a bigger squad and better financial backing. I could be totally wrong but it is not a bad thing to show optimism, it is what us supporters do.

• @davebevan said:
    Suddenly we were placed third in the league and in the play offs. I still do not understand how that worked,

Is that really true? You really don't understand what happened to get us in the playoffs? Where were you for the months of debate about this?

• Sorry, it made no sense to me. I consider myself suitably advised by a superior being. Clearly I should hide away never to darken this forum again.

• edited March 2021

@davebevan said:
    Sorry, it made no sense to me. I consider myself suitably advised by a superior being. Clearly I should hide away never to darken this forum again.

We were in the top 6 for all but 1 week of last season, this included months in 1st/2nd place.
    We didn't play in the last round of fixtures due to the unusual circumstance of having an odd amount of teams (23), thus meaning 1 team didn't play each week
    The league was very tight.
    Us not playing inched us out of the top 6, probably very temporarily.
    With that extra game, a win would have put us 3rd, LEVEL on points with 2nd,
    and a draw would have had us in the top 6
    From being top 6, we'd legitimately have been in the playoffs anyway, but with a number of games left, who says we wouldn't have gone up as 2nd?
    In the playoffs, we won them in their usual format.

Which bit of this doesn't make sense?

• I do not do Twitter, Facebook or any other forum because what has happened tonight with replies to my post. Life is far to short to put up with this nonsense. Bye Bye !!.

• We got the third most points from games played, the same metric used to decide league placings every season. We were in the play-odds on merit, and we were promoted on merit.

• Well, apologies for a step by step explanation of exactly how it worked, leaving zero room for confusion.

• @Chris said:
    We got the third most points from games played, the same metric used to decide league placings every season. We were in the play-odds on merit, and we were promoted on merit.

Well, technically we didn't get the third most points, we were awarded third on a calculation of points per game, which I wonder if this has ever been used before.

However, you're spot on with your next lines