Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• So, absent anyone else being minded to comment, my frustration comes from the fact that, in the context of having to win almost all our games to stay up and with no expectation that we will succeed and with a potentially marquee player in Mehmeti - a shot to nothing, as it were - we are routinely playing with no apparent tactical ambition not to lose. I’m doing so, we are learning nothing we didn’t know already about the capacity of the players to play in a different style nor are we helping the development of Mehmeti except in teaching him to run around a lot to no good effect.

• I see @prufrock made the same point while I was typing, albeit much more succinctly.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    I know we clearly aren't good so cant really play all out attack, but I struggle to understand why we have set up like this. Look unlikely to score, doesnt set up for next season, and bores everyone. What's the point?

I suppose the only explanation is that Horgan and McCleary wide is the first choice combo, and they can't do it midweek-saturday week in weekout.
    (If we ignore the question of whether either have been doing "It" for ages anyway).

But you wonder what Fred and Kashket think, when they're not even starting in the "Plan B" forward line of today.

• Can’t edit posts on my phone. Original meant to say “no ambition except not to lose”.

• @Shev said:
    You would have thought five subs would afford more opportunity to change something which is not working.

Its getting obvious he'd be happy with 0-0 here, delighted if we nick something and in that context it is working. At least until it isn't. We may not all agree.

• @Malone said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    I know we clearly aren't good so cant really play all out attack, but I struggle to understand why we have set up like this. Look unlikely to score, doesnt set up for next season, and bores everyone. What's the point?

I suppose the only explanation is that Horgan and McCleary wide is the first choice combo, and they can't do it midweek-saturday week in weekout.
    (If we ignore the question of whether either have been doing "It" for ages anyway).

But you wonder what Fred and Kashket think, when they're not even starting in the "Plan B" forward line of today.

This may be the reason, but it doesn't explain why we can't try and pass through the lines, and resort to aimless crosses from deep. It has been an appalling showing.

• There clearly was a master plan setting up like this but I am failing to see how this formation is going to win this game . Is it to bore Coventry to give us a goal in the last minute?

• Attacking would be nice. We've got nothing to lose after all.

• This game would seem to be exhibit A in why Mehmeti would actively look elsewhere for somewhere to play next year.

• How is this style of football going to encourage players to stay when we get relegated. What must Knight be thinking? Mehmeti? Attracting players next year?

• We are such a tough watch at the moment.

• Disappointed with the media team today.

Distasteful and unnecessary tweet before the game about playing in Birmingham, and commentary had an air of being thoroughly bored and unimpressed, taking numerous spiteful shots at the referee and the Coventry board members.

Come on guys - it shouldn’t be the fans to tell you to keep your chin up. We’re bad on the pitch at the moment, we don’t want to also be bad away from it.

• 0-0 away at Coventry would be fine early in the season...but we need wins

• A lot of moans considering we never ever beat Coventry and have earnt a draw against them for once.

Doesn't help us staying up, but surely no-one thought we still had even the vaguest chance left?

• @Malone said:
    A lot of moans considering we never ever beat Coventry and have earnt a draw against them for once.

Doesn't help us staying up, but surely no-one thought we still had even the vaguest chance left?

I’d like to have seen us fire a few shots, literally and metaphorically.

• Another point on the board. Be nice to get to 30 for respectability. Time for some booze!

• @jessvl1 said:
    Disappointed with the media team today.

Distasteful and unnecessary tweet before the game about playing in Birmingham, and commentary had an air of being thoroughly bored and unimpressed, taking numerous spiteful shots at the referee and the Coventry board members.

Come on guys - it shouldn’t be the fans to tell you to keep your chin up. We’re bad on the pitch at the moment, we don’t want to also be bad away from it.

I will caveat this all by saying that I believe we have the best media team outside of the Prem and consistently punch above our weight, but they’ve got there by generally being classy, and today I don’t feel that was the case.

All just my opinion, of course.

• Hugely depressing game and yet I feel strangely elated that we've finally avoided defeat against Coventry!

• @Forest_Blue said:

0-0 away at Coventry would be fine early in the season...but we need wins

Read that as ‘we need wine’ and thought ‘how true’. And I’m not even a wine drinker.

• Abysmal. Clueless We need to win games and set up like that. We were never going to stay up but let’s give a right old go. That was very painful watching.

• They usually beat us, we got a draw, that really is the only thing we learnt. We're still miles off staying up. 2 weeks off for everyone to enjoy doing something else.
    Gung ho was never happening today.

• @jessvl1 said:

@jessvl1 said:

I will caveat this all by saying that I believe we have the best media team outside of the Prem and consistently punch above our weight, but they’ve got there by generally being classy, and today I don’t feel that was the case.

All just my opinion, of course.

As it happens I totally agree with you ! The tweet before the game was dreadful, that couldve been us ! Amazed as to why you would get so many thumbs down for your comment, a lot of miserable sods around

• We have some really talented wingers in this club yet play a narrow formation with only Mehmeti out wide? Only one winger on the pitch in Wheeler and yet we're still trying to make him into a Neo-Bloomfield? When Mehmeti was given a more floating role second half he looked good but what was he doing on the left in the first place? Fred came on and shows how it's done. Post international break he needs to be back in the team from the off.

First time I've mentioned Gape in dispatches for a while but some of his diagonal balls were sublime and he was regularly in the right place at the right time. I'm glad he's showing us he is capable of playing in this division, for I will say I had my doubts earlier in the campaign.

Speaking of which, did Bayo touch the ball more than once in his 14 minutes on the pitch?

Another clean sheet for Stockdale. Even if he'd have started the season between the sticks we'd probably still be in the relegation zone, but I wonder if we'd still have a fighting chance of staying up?

• @Malone said:
    A lot of moans considering we never ever beat Coventry and have earnt a draw against them for once.

Coventry have won 1 in 11. Records of bogey teams are meaningless. Id have preferred to lose to Cov 4-3, then put up with a futile 0-0

• @jessvl1 said:

Well at the risk of being distasteful and unnecessary, I found pretty much the only entertaining thing about the game today to be the fact that no-one can be arsed to take down the Birmingham cardboard cutout fan pics when the temporary tenants have a game. Looks very odd.

• Admiral was non existent for large parts of the game. Neither acting as a winger nor a support for Uche. Uche didn’t have a prayer as he was stranded with 4 or 5 players around him. Mehmeti didn’t show til the formation change - and then was taken off.
    Horgan and McCleary didn’t really have much of a chance to shine.
    Fred had a better game.

Tactically we were a shambles. Technically we were off.

Today was an off day all round. Thankfully we were not playing Brentford or Norwich, disappointingly we were playing a team as sh1t as us.

• @jessvl1 said:

I think it's all about personal taste isn't it.
    I thought Cecil and gang created a right rod for our back with that whole "this is our home" boasting after we beat Sunderland. Funny to us yes, but not so funny when we then got smashed 4-0 there and had to shut right up.

Didn't find a comment about a game being in Birmingham any sort of dig. More one of those rare quirks in football of a venue not being the team's home stadium. Simple as that.

But there were quite a few cynical little comments about Birmingham's directors and the speed of getting balls back onto the pitch etc. Possibly just the individual's dry humour.

But like you later allude to, Cecil is just doing a thankless task filling in beyond what his role involves. And for that we have to be grateful.

• @aloysius said:

Another clean sheet for Stockdale. Even if he'd have started the season between the sticks we'd probably still be in the relegation zone, but I wonder if we'd still have a fighting chance of staying up?

I’ll preface this by saying I believe Stocko is good for his place. That said, before his injury, folk on here were saying Rocky was our player of the season, he did indeed make some cracking saves (all be it glued to his line).

• Given the club are going to start trying to sell season tickets to us in the next few days, thought the team might have done a slightly better marketing job. Of course I'll buy one but watching that kind of game every week isn't going to be much fun in any division.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Given the club are going to start trying to sell season tickets to us in the next few days, thought the team might have done a slightly better marketing job. Of course I'll buy one but watching that kind of game every week isn't going to be much fun in any division.

Will be interesting seeing the pricing structure. I'm sure the original comment said pricing would stay the same, but I think i recall someone on here saying they spoke personally with Pete Couhig who said prices would drop if we went down?