Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• First time all season I’m considering not getting iFollow. We are always absolutely awful against Coventry.

• Bit cluttered!

• When I looked at the badge, I thought, “why the hell have they got a first aid elephant on there?”.

But no, apparently it’s supposed to represent St. George.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/coventry-city/

I quite like the idea of having a chant of:

“you’re going home on a fucking elephant”, though.

• Proper badge that

• Do all these badges have the team name on them? If so is that new or have I just imagined them just being badges in my younger years.

• An elephant and a castle! Reminds me of the ‘classic’ Jim Davidson vehicle on ITV in the 80s. As such -1,000/10.

• @PBo said:
    When I looked at the badge, I thought, “why the hell have they got a first aid elephant on there?”.

But no, apparently it’s supposed to represent St. George.

>

“you’re going home on a fucking elephant”, though.

And the even more obscure clean version “you’re going home on a first aid elephant”.

• In a normal season today would see a huge mobilisation of Chairboys - from Bali, Scotland, Nantwich, Catford and beyond.

Such a shame not to see the wagons rolling to bring home the points

• First-aid elephant bearing three pepper mills, goose-stepping bird on left, bird being barbecued on right; relative scale of elephant, birds, ball and pepper mills all over the shop.

2/10

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Do all these badges have the team name on them? If so is that new or have I just imagined them just being badges in my younger years.

Someone (possibly Arsenal I can't remember) realised they couldn't properly register and protect the copyright of a 100+ year old badge that's used by lots of people. Almost every club including ours has at some point over the last 20 years made a slightly different "new" badge to go on all merchandise. They range from new designs in total to wedging the same crest or logo into a badge with the name round it.
    I quite like the Coventry one and love the specials inspired kits they've had recently. I'm less a fan of them beating us every single bloody time.

• Three changes, Stewart, Wheeler, Muskwe in.

• Horgan, Thompson, McCleary on the bench.

• Pack the midfield a bit, or maybe realisation McCleary and Horgan just haven't created much recently.

• If Coventry somehow get relegated, we'll have "followed each other around" for at least five seasons, with two promotions and a relegation at the same time as each other. I don't think they will, but that can't have happened much!

• freephilcatchpole

• Very much a game with two teams at the bottom.

• Coventry have been watching Barnsley,

• Terrible match so far.

• Another away game another change in shape. Mehmeti I think is wasted on the left and we just look a bit disjointed...
    Fingers crossed but a huge difference between first 25 against Barnsley and this.

• Typical Coventry game so far, getting mullered down the wings and lucky to be 0-0 so far.

• I know its early, and we're bottom of the league, but there's no plan. You can see Cov using the wings and breaking over the top... what are we doing?

• Talking of watching - is anybody?

• What in god’s name are we trying to achieve with this formation? Masses of bodies in midfield with virtually no impact.

• Shot by Steward...ooh blocked...oh it's Muskwe.

Then instantly in the background STEWART from the Birmingham lot.

In a dull game, that made me laugh

• Not making a huge impact on the general gameplay but Uche and Taff look like handfuls at times and it's far from the worst we've played in recent months

• It’s 4-2-3-1 isn’t it? So we’re presumeably trying to achieve what we normally do with that formation. The problem is the games completely bypassing the middle.

• I've seen more composed football at Hazelmere rec on a Saturday morning with the U11s!

• We rarely ave players in acres of space