Skip to content

Managers gone today

Comments

• @HCblue said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@davecz said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Dave, why do you keep insinuating it’s some sort of battle to post comments that are ‘against the general tone’ of the gasroom (whatever that is)?

I don’t think a single one of your posts has ever been edited or deleted.

I suspect what you mean is that you don’t want any negative responses, which is a little bit precious.

I have very broad shoulders and happy to take all the flak. What surprises me is how quickly some respond if you say something slightly controversial. Bring it on, No problem.

So to be clear, you're not being silenced at all? You're just receiving criticism.

As a free speech advocate, welcome the criticism and stop bloody whinging.

It's not a criticism of free speech to criticise the content of the criticism that is being offered. Rather, it is through free discussion that one hopes that all involved will learn something.

A lovely thought for the day. Hopelessly optimistic and idealistic but we can but hope!

• @HCblue said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@davecz said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Dave, why do you keep insinuating it’s some sort of battle to post comments that are ‘against the general tone’ of the gasroom (whatever that is)?

I suspect what you mean is that you don’t want any negative responses, which is a little bit precious.

I have very broad shoulders and happy to take all the flak. What surprises me is how quickly some respond if you say something slightly controversial. Bring it on, No problem.

So to be clear, you're not being silenced at all? You're just receiving criticism.

It's not a criticism of free speech to criticise the content of the criticism that is being offered. Rather, it is through free discussion that one hopes that all involved will learn something.

Agreed, but its nonsense to claim you're being silenced because you don't like the criticism you're receiving.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@HCblue said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@davecz said:

@arnos_grove said:

Agreed, but its nonsense to claim you're being silenced because you don't like the criticism you're receiving.

If that had been the claim, there might be something to talk about or criticise.

• There’s a curious trend these days of people who claim they can’t speak freely when they actually can. Most of the presenters on Talk Radio follow this path, despite the fact they have a show being broadcast and almost total control over what they discuss and how long they let their callers speak for.

I wish I could find the clip from ‘Down the Line’ spin-off ‘Bellamy’s People’, where Paul Whitehouse is playing a Nick Ferrari style DJ, railing that people like him (white, male, middle-aged) ‘haven’t got a voice’. The presenter reminds him that he’s actually broadcasting to the whole of the West Midlands.

‘Haven’t got a voice’.

• This is the whole episode. If you’ve never watched the series it’s worth checking out

• White, middle class, man of the people Beery Nigel was never off the telly and radio being silenced for quite a few years. He does seem to have gone quiet now though. I assume GB News is rubbing it's hands at the array of talent on the market. Breakfast? Morgan. Drivetime? Clarkson. Woman's Hour? Hopkins. Finance and business? Farage. Culture? Fox.

• Isn't it odd that there are so many "experts" on football tactics and yet when there is a vacancy for a manager or coach it is most likely to be filled from the same pool of ones that have been sacked from other posts?

• Maybe @aloysius isn't very good at interviews?

• Sorry in a mischievous mood. Just kidding

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

@DevC said:
    Not sure quite where Gareth stands now. Objectively a guy who knows how to get teams out of Lg1 should be high on both Portsmouth and Charlton’s lists but no sign of him on bookies lists.

Beginning to think he might be our Tisdale - often tipped for a bigger job than Exeter but somehow never happened (yes I know we are currently higher than Portsmouth or Charlton but I would see them as bigger clubs)

How stupid do you feel getting everything wrong for so long? Year after year after year you are wrong. Ainsworth isn't going anywhere. You really are one of the most ignorant people around.

I would say that in the middle aisle at Aldi

• @LX1 said:

@DevC said:
    Not sure quite where Gareth stands now. Objectively a guy who knows how to get teams out of Lg1 should be high on both Portsmouth and Charlton’s lists but no sign of him on bookies lists.

Beginning to think he might be our Tisdale - often tipped for a bigger job than Exeter but somehow never happened (yes I know we are currently higher than Portsmouth or Charlton but I would see them as bigger clubs)

How stupid do you feel getting everything wrong for so long? Year after year after year you are wrong. Ainsworth isn't going anywhere. You really are one of the most ignorant people around.

I would say that in the middle aisle at Aldi

Interesting assessment of a very valid question from @DevC !!

• @DevC has very broad shoulders. He can take it.

• Shoulders are I think of normal size. It’s the rest of me that is getting alarmingly broad....

Let’s be honest. Most of what is posted here (including I suspect by me) is nonsense but i think there is a relationship between sobriety and post quality. Perhaps remember the old adage @LX1 - never drink and drivel.

• @DevC I don't understand your point - Gareth Ainsworth should be aiming to be manager of a side 10th in League 2 rather than managing in the Championship? Because Pompey won the league in 48-49?

• Charlton won the FA Cup in 1947.

• @DevC said:
    Shoulders are I think of normal size. It’s the rest of me that is getting alarmingly broad....

Let’s be honest. Most of what is posted here (including I suspect by me) is nonsense but i think there is a relationship between sobriety and post quality. Perhaps remember the old adage @LX1 - never drink and drivel.

Just for avoidance of doubt are you saying your post quality is due to drinking too much?

You were quite rude to @LX1 in my view.

• I think Gareth will be on a few Chairmen’s lists. Somewhere with a better budget than Wycombe who wants to get the best out of an existing squad with a few new signings. Definitely a team at championship level, and certainly league one teams with bigger budgets and big ambitions as well.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:
    Shoulders are I think of normal size. It’s the rest of me that is getting alarmingly broad....

Just for avoidance of doubt are you saying your post quality is due to drinking too much?
    t

Can I humbly suggest you read @LX1 comment. Not sure @DevC is being rude. Or have you had a drink as well?

• I've had a drink. It's Friday for goodness sake.

• @DevC surely most League 1 clubs believe that we were 99th in the league until Covid hit and we were able to cheat our way to the Championship? As a result, they do not consider Gareth could actually get a club out of League One. For my part, as usual, I will say that unless he is given the tin tack, unless he is offered a massive life-changing bung by a club not known for sacking managers at the drop of a hat, he will still be the bete noire of the Gasroom purists for a while yet.

• You've missed out the circumflex in bête noire @Wendoverman. Detention for you old boy!

• @mooneyman said:
    You've missed out the circumflex in bête noire @Wendoverman. Detention for you old boy!

I cannot circumflex at my age and certainly not after a can of Guinness.

• @davecz said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@DevC said:

t

Can I humbly suggest you read @LX1 comment. Not sure @DevC is being rude. Or have you had a drink as well?

Thanks for getting involved. Not sure what the point was.

• @DevC said:

Somewhat of an over-reaction on my part. Apologies for the insult @DevC

• No worries mate

• @LX1 said:

@DevC said:

Somewhat of an over-reaction on my part. Apologies for the insult @DevC

Saved me a post to stand up for @DevC . Well done, @LX1.

• All's well then.
    By LX's standard, the post above wasn't even that wacky anyway!

• Interim manager in place till the end of the season. Could they come for Gareth in the Summer?