Skip to content

Carlton Morris

This guy sounds like one that got away.
Another big young striker with a Cambridge United connection. 8 loans in 7 seasons (only just turned 25) two goals in three games for England U19s and five goals for Barnsley since signing in January. And I’m not sure if he’s started any of the dozen or so games he’s played in.

Valérien Ismaël, the Barnsley manager, as well as being unusual (if not unique) in having both an acute accent and an umlaut in his name, has of course brought about a remarkable transformation in the fortunes (results-wise) of Barnsley FC. He uses multiple substitutions in pretty well every game, believing in a high intensity approach and supreme physical fitness.

We beat them 1-0 in our last home game against them in December 2018.
We’d certainly be over the moon if we could repeat that tonight !

Comments

• I reckon it's common in Strasbourg where he was born. Can't find any record of his middle name unfortunately.

• Chatting to some Derby supporters today who said they were the most route one team they’d ever seen. Even the long balls weren’t remotely targeted and kicked high up into the air. Described us a positively silky-skilled in comparison.

Should be an interesting battle.

On another point, does anyone know if you can pause ifollow and watch on delay? I’ve got my Covid jab at 7pm tonight so might do that if it’s an option.

• I do it from time to time when I can’t believe what I’ve heard (!) but not sure if you could do it for long enough to go and get your jab.

• Love the silkily skilled comment. Wonder which mode we’ll be in tonight.

• Know what you mean @LX1 but I’ve never seen an umlaut over an ‘e’. Perhaps @ReadingMarginalista could comment.

• Never wished anyone a Joyeux Noël Micra?

• Strictly speaking a Trema in French not an umlaut.
    Rare but not unknown - eg Noel and Saint-Saens the composer. Basically shortens the vowel sound - so pronounced Ismile rather than isma-Elle.

• @arnos_grove said:
    On another point, does anyone know if you can pause ifollow and watch on delay? I’ve got my Covid jab at 7pm tonight so might do that if it’s an option.

I regularly do this due to having a 2 year old whose bed time clashes perfectly with a 7pm kick-off and nap times that often clash with the early weekend kick-offs.

It seems to be possible to pause for at least a couple of hours as long as you are around (or someone else can be) to switch the coverage on for you when it starts and hit pause and you set your device to ensure it doesn't go to sleep or power off. Hope this helps.

• @Rolo said:

@arnos_grove said:

I regularly do this due to having a 2 year old whose bed time clashes perfectly with a 7pm kick-off and nap times that often clash with the early weekend kick-offs.

It seems to be possible to pause for at least a couple of hours as long as you are around (or someone else can be) to switch the coverage on for you when it starts and hit pause and you set your device to ensure it doesn't go to sleep or power off. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I think if your device goes to sleep it'll reset. My suggestion would be to take your iPad with you.

• I think on iFollow that you can stroll back as far as you like so even if it doesn't pause properly then you can just go back to the start

• @drcongo said:

@Rolo said:

@arnos_grove said:

Yeah, I think if your device goes to sleep it'll reset. My suggestion would be to take your iPad with you.

I just use a laptop with the sleep/power down mode switched off. Depends what you're watching on.

• Cheers all. The vaccine hub is only 10 mins away so I might rig up the laptop and set it to stay awake. And then turn my phone off.

• @DevC said:
    Strictly speaking a Trema in French not an umlaut.
    Rare but not unknown - eg Noel and Saint-Saens the composer. Basically shortens the vowel sound - so pronounced Ismile rather than isma-Elle.

Dev gets a lot of stick on here but credit for some top linguistic trivia.

• Not often Dev out micras @micra!

• @DevC would be a great conversationalist over a pint, I am sure of it.

• @Shev said:
    @DevC would be a great conversationalist over a pint, I am sure of it.

As long as the discussion didn't move on to planning regulations!

• @perfidious_albion said:

@DevC said:
    Strictly speaking a Trema in French not an umlaut.

Dev gets a lot of stick on here but credit for some top linguistic trivia.

Incorrect @DevC. The Barnsley managers name is pronounced Ishmile.

• Manager’s !!

• Think we need VAR or Hawkeye to settle that one!

• Not Hawkeye - Ultrasound. Anyway, @bluntphil says Ishmael and he definitely hasn’t got a lisp.

• @eric_plant said:
    Never wished anyone a Joyeux Noël

Bit of a curved ball @eric_plant. Can honestly say I’ve never noticed an umlaut there. Haven’t got much to be joyous about lately!

• Have just discovered that the Mad Dogs & Englishmen guy had an umlaut.

• Nothing to be afraid of.

• @micra said:
    Know what you mean @LX1 but I’ve never seen an umlaut over an ‘e’. Perhaps @ReadingMarginalista could comment.

In French it's called a diaeresis and is used to signify when two vowels are meant to be pronounced separately. Umlauts are specific to German to signify when an e would be added to a vowel.

• Think Finnish is probably the language where you see most of them. In some words (which can be very long) there seems to be one in almost every syllable.
    Wonder what they're called in Finnish (also Swedish)?
    I always understood them to be...
    English - diaeresis
    French - trema (acute accent on the e)
    German - umlaut

World languages and their diacritic marks. Now that would be a thread!
    Only kidding ?

• Well seeing as you asked.....

Finnish has three diacritic marks - what looks like an Umlaut over a and o and a circle over a.

They define how a letter should be pronounced - so for example jar would not have an “umlaut” , cat would - arguably makes more sense than English where you just have to know.

They are not regarded as an a with an umlaut but as a completely separate letter - so the Finnish alphabet has 29 letters.

Although some Finnish words are ridiculously long, you will never get a word with both a and a(umlaut) in.

Well you asked.....

• Waiting for @DevC to say Ole hyvä but no idea if it is used in Finnish to mean “you’re welcome” in the sense that we use it when someone says “thank you”.

My knowledge and ability to understand French and German is based on studies (and little else) 65 years ago. Little else wasn’t much help but good fun. Spass muss sein (which translates better as “we must have fun” rather than “fun must be” which you will find if you google it).

The reference by @DevC to ridiculously long words in Finnish prompted me to try to remember one or two of those incredible German compound words. I couldn’t, so I cheated and discovered that two such words - 63 and 67 letters respectively - are no longer in common usage. The current longest word, a measly 36 letters, is Kraftfahrzeughaftpflichtversicherung (motor vehicle indemnity insurance).

Well, that was pretty tedious - bit like the Comic Relief programme currently on TV, wonderfully worthy cause notwithstanding, given a huge lift just now by the brilliant Tim Vine.

• And a marvellously comic version of All by Myself.