Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• When Phil's Co commentator went " Ol shut up will you, I couldnt put up with that every game"
    I presume he was referring to Pete Couhig ??

• Or possibly Stocko who was irate throughout the second half and louder than anyone else there.

Btw, did I hear PC shout “dickhead” at one point?

• You certainly wouldn’t want to be playing Barnsley in the playoffs. Looked a decent side. We gave it a good go in the first half but the second half was poor. Seemed to lose our way , shape but never our fight.

• @ChasHarps said:
    When Phil's Co commentator went " Ol shut up will you, I couldnt put up with that every game"

I think it was one of the other radio or TV reporters there who was speaking very loudly when giving their updates

• @aloysius said:
    That was, to bring out a football cliche, the sort of game a neutral would enjoy. Two agricultural sides with one star player in Dike, who reminded me a bit of the time John Akinde was on loan with us. He really would be Gareth's dream signing. Perhaps with the Couhigs on board we should be looking at the American system for more players. It hasn't (yet) worked out in Giles Philips, but if we can get a few college linemen on trial for the B-team, who knows what we might discover.

I thought we did well first half when we kept our disciplined shape but once we'd gone 2 down we seemed to switch to an hourglass 4-2-4 and lost all effectiveness from Horgan and McCleary (until the last few minutes when we went 3-2-5 and he found some space again).

What's been bugging me most tonight though are @bluntphil's totally justifiable moans about the commentary position. When we played Preston in the FA Cup @glasshalffull said that the commentator was based at the top of the Frank Adams Stand in its television box. Why aren't the 3CR commentators allowed to go there as well when they're providing a service to the club on iFollow? It's crazy that they're blocked from seeing a quarter of the pitch when there's a perfectly viable position on the right side of the pitch for TV pictures, which is what we're all watching anyway.

I understand BBC (3CR) provide the ISDN line and connection so they would have to move it to give @bluntphil a better view

• Interesting, thanks @AlanCecil

• @AlanCecil said:

I understand BBC (3CR) provide the ISDN line and connection so they would have to move it to give @bluntphil a better view

Good knowledge but surely a simpler solution would be dugouts that allow the press and commentators a view of the pitch. As supporters are paying good money via a season ticket or a match pass it is the least we can ask for that the commentators can see the pitch.

One question though. If the commentators can't see one quarter of the pitch I sm guessing potential season tickets holders would have a similarly blocked view at the other end of the main stand. Is the club going to remove some if the advertusing from the dugouts when fans can return or will the blocked view remain?

• The Sky red button commentator didn't have any issue seeing the far side, so presumably he was either up in the camera gantry at the upper tier or was commentating remotely watching the game on a monitor.

Unfortunately he mis-identified Uche for Bayo as the goalscorer and spent most of the last 10 minutes talking about Akinfenwa finally getting off the mark in the Championship!

• On the commentary position question. I sat in the old main stand for one of the games that fans were back for.

The new dugouts are really high and obstruct the view of a significant number of the seats in that stand. I think they’ll be a lot of complaints once fans return in greater numbers.

May be for the club to address in the summer.

• Im hoping to be able to see if I have paid put four hundred quid!

• @ChasHarps said:
    When Phil's Co commentator went " Ol shut up will you, I couldnt put up with that every game"

When he kept mentioning the franchise and the PNLs I thought exactly the same thing

• @ChasHarps said:

I think he definitely was, tbh it was a bit embarrassing, doesnt show us in a good light. Quite a few comments about him on Twitter I noticed

• Interesting comments from the Barnsley manager regarding the red card:

"The red card for us was never, ever a red card - the referee lost control. It was the feeling on the pitch that Wycombe were going to try everything not really properly - some situations were really embarrassing.

"The referee lost completely the control and that's why we have to appeal the decision. We will do because it is unjust, what has happened against Alex.

"It was never a bad foul - he tackled over the ball without a straight leg and that's why we can't accept this. We have to fight against it."

Personally I felt it was very harsh on first viewing, but upon watching the replays he clearly went in 2 footed and although he won the ball, his leading foot went over the top and caught Kashket (who made a meal of it!). No chance they'll get that overturned. Yes the red card could be considered harsh, but it would be like us appealing Pattison's red against Bournemouth. You can argue about the colour, but it's clearly a foul and a card.

Also a bit rich for him to describe us as 'embarrassing' after the way their guy went down to win the penalty after the mildest of contact!

• @HolmerBlue said:

@ChasHarps said:

I think he definitely was, tbh it was a bit embarrassing, doesnt show us in a good light. Quite a few comments about him on Twitter I noticed

What's embarrassing about having one of our staff make as much noise on his own as the family stand does when full? Good on him.

• If Woodrow did really say ‘Wycombe are shit’ as part of his celebration no wonder Couhig was annoyed.

And to be all @eric_plant there is no chance that red gets rescinded.

• I missed that @Chris, where did you hear that?

• Regardless of what you think about the modern game and whether it's gone a bit soft, tackles like the one last night are almost always punished with a red card.

An absolutely pointless appeal

• Agreed - seemed a soft red last night but then so have at least a couple of ours this season.

Also, laughable of connected to Barnsley to criticise either our style of play or perceived play-acting. They were exactly the same on both counts but better at it.

• I don't think opponents' poor behaviour excuses our own.

Some posters seem to be simultaneously criticising Barnsley whilst also imploring our own players to follow suit.

It's the online version of when the Valley Terrace has a go at opposition keepers for time wasting I suppose

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't think opponents' poor behaviour excuses our own.

Some posters seem to be simultaneously criticising Barnsley whilst also imploring our own players to follow suit.

It's the online version of when the Valley Terrace has a go at opposition keepers for time wasting I suppose

I do admire your determination to occupy the moral high ground and always play Devil’s advocate when it comes to refereeing decisions.

• I'm not playing Devil's Advocate, honestly.

People might disagree with me, and many do, but I always give honestly held opinions despite what some posters have said about me on here, labelling me a troll and other such things.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Agreed - seemed a soft red last night but then so have at least a couple of ours this season.

Also, laughable of connected to Barnsley to criticise either our style of play or perceived play-acting. They were exactly the same on both counts but better at it.

I took his comment to say exactly that. Barnsley completely bossed us in the dark arts last night. Our attempts to follow were poor in comparison. Maybe the manager was just amazed the ref bought Kashket's rolling around as their number 21 was so much better at it. And when a big bruising centre half buys a penalty the way he did football has definately gone soft. Imagine what Jason Cousins would have said to him

The red card tackle hasn't been a red card for the vast majority of my football watching years. For it to be one now takes something away from the game I love. I wonder if those more used to this rule change would have fallen in love with the game when I did. It really is so different and it will be interesting to see if all this cheating is held to accounts when fans can watch live.

• edited March 2021

@drcongo said:
    I missed that @Chris, where did you hear that?

Just a random Wycombe fan on Twitter. It doesn’t seem entirely out of the question seeing as his celebration was miming going to the toilet on the corner flag.

• Check out the celebration following the first goal. If Pete saw that no wonder he was upset.

• The entire match was played in a pretty toxic atmosphere seemingly lacking in any respect for each other or the officials.

Both teams were guilty of it and frankly I hope both clubs get punished for the conduct of their players.

It might seem like fun but the trickle down effect of it causes huge problems further down the pyramid. Go and speak to a Sunday league ref about the abuse they receive on a weekly basis, or refs who officiate kids games who are getting abuse from the kids and their parents on the touchline.

Wycombe have got so many things right in recent years on a whole range of issues, and how they look after our players and give them a broader perspective of the world they live in. It's brilliant, it's driven by Gaz and the management team and we should be massively proud of it.

I would like the next thing we look to take a lead on being having respect for referees and matchday officials and setting a positive example to everyone who watches us.

Sooner or later, the game will face a real crisis over the abuse referees are getting at all levels and lots of people will suddenly shift their perspective on how much abuse is acceptable.

You might as well get on the right side of the arguement now.

• May be the game needs to consider the quality of the referees, a majority of the ones we have seen this season have been dire.

• Something for the longer term unfortunately, hugely difficult sell on the back of the opposition conduct last night and the decisions we have received this season. I'm not unsympathetic to the wider issues but with the current standard of refereeing and general play acting and cheating in the game you'd get smashed every week regardless of division if you stood aside and didn't give anything back.

• @yorkyblue said:
    May be the game needs to consider the quality of the referees, a majority of the ones we have seen this season have been dire.

Therein lies the problem. Football as a whole has created so much media hype around the quality of referees to deflect away from the inadequacies of the players and managers, the cheating etc that goes on.

In what job is it acceptable to work with 22 stakeholders who tell you to "F?ck Off" every time you make a decision they disagree with? In normal life that would be a written warning and the sack.

In what job is it acceptable to constantly blame someone else and not look at your role in the outcome? In normal life that would be considered unacceptable and lead to a performance improvement program.

In what job would you have 22 stakeholders following you around your office or factory criticising practically every decision you make and you have little to no right of reply? You just have to take it on the chin, every time you go into the office. In normal life that would be considered harassment or bullying and you'd get sacked.

I'm amazed football has been allowed to sweep this under the carpet for so long. Covid has given us an opportunity to hear all of this, quite frankly it's disgusting. The amount of times commentators are apologising for players/managers language on air is embarassing.

Surely something has to be done about it now.

The main issue I have with all of it is the example it sets to our children and their parents. They think that behaviour is entirely acceptable and you see it on the touchlines/on the pitch at childrens games.

On Woodrow, the book should be thrown at him for his celebration and if he did say Wycombe are sh?t, how is that acceptable behaviour?

The problem is the FIFA, UEFA and club owners don't give a toss. Rant over!

• @yorkyblue said:
    May be the game needs to consider the quality of the referees, a majority of the ones we have seen this season have been dire.

It's almost like watching a magician though isn't it? The ref's have simply no chance against the more adept cheaters in this league. But as soon as the trick can be seen the ref's do better. Hence why our diving is no where near as effective as with other teams.

The ref last night lost respect early as he simply dismissed players arguments and refused to make eye contact. That is not right and he should be disciplined for it. A full on brawl was inevitable as soon as he refused to discuss with anyone the Horgan assault or Knight being taken out by their centre forward whilst jumping to shield a ball out.

I'm not sure how refs get better if the players cheat so much and the rules keep getting changed for a video system they can't use.

• Measures need to be taken across the game rather than expecting one club or manager to play nice and suffer consequences.
    There's also some level of physical side and agro implicit in most team sport that would be missed tbh, You aren't going to turn management and staff into saints overnight and it would be very dull if you did.