Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:
    The punch up this game deserves

Needed Uche and Bayo sorting that Sibbick coward out there.

• If it's cheating you want to see you've got more than your money's worth tonight

I've gone right off Barnsley

• To be fair @Malone JJ did kick him off the ball...

• If you haven’t enjoyed this game you don’t like football.

• Oh Bayo!!

• Ahhh Bayo scoring would have been superb.

• That actually got quite entertaining just at the point I'd given up on it.

• @Chris said:
    If you haven’t enjoyed this game you don’t like football.

Really enjoyed the first half. Disappointed with tactics and performance in second half.

• I know what you're saying, but the defeat was pretty much confirmed early in the 2nd half so impossible to "enjoy" for me

• I could be wrong but Gaz looked more upset there about Horgan getting clattered and their player not being punished than the penalty.

I guess all will be revealed in the post match interview

• Manchester City v Barnsley would be interesting if the improbable occurs!

• Thought we played quite well in patches against an unorthodox team who are very hard to play against and will prove, by the season's end, that they are one of the best teams in this division.

Can't fault the referee too much - Horgan decision he obviously didn't see because he was watching the ball and the challenge was so late, penalty was soft but I can see why he gave it and with the amount of screaming he had to endure from both sides, I think he did well, especially with the 3 yellow cards following Knight's challenge.

• Penalty was harsh, but to be fair VAR would not have overturned the referees decision.

• @bookertease said:
    IFollow has been awful tonight. How often have they missed action with endless pointless replay

Yes, How many times this game has “I Follow” managed to not follow.

• @HCblue said:

@Chris said:

Really enjoyed the first half. Disappointed with tactics and performance in second half.

The second half was pretty turgid stuff, but Bayo almost scoring and the punchup made up for it.

Gape man of the match, but McCleary was superb too.

• The arrogant way the ref managed the game tonight led to complete carnage and opened the door to a side streets ahead of us at falling over. Always knew the ref would lose the plot and sure enough he did. Laughable penalty and a really soft red card.

Thought the Barnsley centre forward gave Taffazoli a rough night. Not seen him out muscled like that so often.

Did I see we broke our run of having less possession tonight?

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@bookertease said:
    IFollow has been awful tonight. How often have they missed action with endless pointless replay

Yes, How many times this game has “I Follow” managed to not follow.

Ha ha, very good point

• The red was one that the ref had to give, two-footed lunge with studs up. In the end Barnsley took the sting out of the game with an early goal, have players a tick above our in pretty much every position, and suffocated the game.
    A frustrating evening but hopefully one that'll be part of the long process of hardening us up for next season.

• edited March 2021

@drcongo said:

@HCblue said:

@Chris said:

The second half was pretty turgid stuff, but Bayo almost scoring and the punchup made up for it.

Gape man of the match, but McCleary was superb too.

Here we go! Completely agree. The call about McLeary having a poor game was an absolute shocker

But Gape was outstanding. Got his foot in so many times. He reads the game so well

• @mooneyman said:
    Penalty was harsh, but to be fair VAR would not have overturned the referees decision.

To be fair VAR gave me a penalty when I tripped on the kerb the other day. The sport has changed forever and cheats do prosper.

• How was the official allowed to ref in those colours ? At times it was hard to distinguish between our players and the weasel with the whistle.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@mooneyman said:
    Penalty was harsh, but to be fair VAR would not have overturned the referees decision.

To be fair VAR gave me a penalty when I tripped on the kerb the other day. The sport has changed forever and cheats do prosper.

Trust you submitted your compensation claim to the Highway Authority.

• @ChasHarps said:
    How was the official allowed to ref in those colours ? At times it was hard to distinguish between our players and the weasel with the whistle.

Out of interest, what colour do you think the ref was wearing?

• A shade of purple top, and dark shorts and socks like our players.

• Interesting that all the major incidents against us were right in front of the same linesman. All three occasions he didn’t do anything. He should have just not bothered coming out second half

• Decent first half performance but soft penalty (I’ll leave the experts on here to decide on the legitimacy of it). Not in it second half until the last few minutes but overall not a depressing watch like some have been recently.

Liked Phil’s comment about giving up watching the ball as if you did you were missing all the action - it did seem like that (on the few occasions iFollow was following the game anyway).

Agree with Gape as MoM - thought he looked back to his best.

But, horrible as they undoubtedly were, am I alone in rooting for Barnsley to sneak up in the play-offs?

• Let's give Barnsley some credit, that's as strong a team as we've played this season. So difficult to play against. Almost like an extreme version of ourselves. Hard to be too critical of us tonight, as they were just better than us in every department.

I do have some sympathy for the ref, that was a horrible game to try and control. That said the penalty is an awful decision. I'm not convinced Taf has grabbed him at all has he? Even if there is contact, the guy has gone down afterwards. No way I'd be claiming that as a penalty if it was the other way round. I'd be shaking my head as I did when Ikpeazu threw himself to the ground at QPR.
    Not seen the replay, but the sending off also looked harsh.

• Dike was excellent tonight and showed Wycombe how to finish. Can’t believe he’s only 20.

Ref lost the game early on. In his thick Yorkshire accent he was laughing with the Barnsley keeper before kick off and didn’t mind getting sworn at all game. Linesmen were dreadful. Mute. Gormless. Didn’t spot a thing.

Woodrow should have been booked for his toilet celebration. Shouting ‘Wycombe are shit’ was utterly dreadful stuff. Greasy oik.

Dikes Shouted ‘I love America’ at Couhig when he scored the third. Quite amusing I guess.

Wycombe put in a massive effort tonight. I am proud of them and as for Mehmeti coming off I think it was the right decision. The game was so physical and he wasn’t finding his usual gaps. Only thing I would have changed is possibly bringing on Samuel a lot earlier as his hold up play is more intelligent than most.

• That was, to bring out a football cliche, the sort of game a neutral would enjoy. Two agricultural sides with one star player in Dike, who reminded me a bit of the time John Akinde was on loan with us. He really would be Gareth's dream signing. Perhaps with the Couhigs on board we should be looking at the American system for more players. It hasn't (yet) worked out in Giles Philips, but if we can get a few college linemen on trial for the B-team, who knows what we might discover.

I thought we did well first half when we kept our disciplined shape but once we'd gone 2 down we seemed to switch to an hourglass 4-2-4 and lost all effectiveness from Horgan and McCleary (until the last few minutes when we went 3-2-5 and he found some space again).

What's been bugging me most tonight though are @bluntphil's totally justifiable moans about the commentary position. When we played Preston in the FA Cup @glasshalffull said that the commentator was based at the top of the Frank Adams Stand in its television box. Why aren't the 3CR commentators allowed to go there as well when they're providing a service to the club on iFollow? It's crazy that they're blocked from seeing a quarter of the pitch when there's a perfectly viable position on the right side of the pitch for TV pictures, which is what we're all watching anyway.

• Entirely agree that Barnsley were a very good side - even though we did eventually score, that defence is as good as any we’ve ever played against, entirely at ease.