Skip to content

Quick Saturday quiz

Since the end of the second world war, In both the Amateur cup and FA Trophy. Three ties that were not semi finals have been settled in a Ceremonial county that neither Wycombe or the opposition town or city reside in ?
Can you name Wanderers opposition in these three ?

Comments

• Unless I'm missing something - since Greater London is a Ceremonial County - that will be the three finals at Wembley.

Bishop Auckland 1957
    Kidderminster Harriers 1991
    Runcorn 1993

• Sorry not finals either.

• Assuming I’ve understood the question, Leek Town?

• Correct Mr Ludd, Leek Town is one of the teams. As Leek is in Staffordshire and the tie settled in Worcestershire.

• Boston United (at Kettering) is another but I’ve no idea on the third.

• Correct Mr Ludd, The 2nd replay in 83 was played at Rockingham rd in Northamptonshire. Where as Boston resides in Lincolnshire.
    The third answer is considerably more difficult than the first two.

• Excuse me. What is a ceremonial county?

• Google it you lazy sod? Oh, ok.

• I did - and it didn’t really help. Basically I think ceremonial counties are what people of my generation would call counties.

• How about Bungay? Bungay is in Suffolk but their ground is in Norfolk?

• Incidentally the match at Bungay is still their record attendance (2,498) FA Amateur Cup 1st Round

• Sure I read about a second replay against one of the NE London teams (Walthamstow/Leytonstone) being settled at Dulwich. All London now but in those days would have been Surrey and either Middlesex or Essex.

• @bookertease said:
    How about Bungay? Bungay is in Suffolk but their ground is in Norfolk?

Tremendous work Mr Tease
    Yes Bungay is in Sufolk, but the Recreation ground at which they played was a number of miles away in Norfolk.

• Had a bit of an advantage when I looked back at the fixtures. I used to live in Norfolk but my nearest pub, about 200 yards away, was in Suffolk.

But, mind-bogglingly, how did you come up with the question? Even knowing roughly what we were looking for it was pretty difficult. How on earth did you know what to ask?

• Mr Balls wonderful archive website has loads of match reports and press cuttings. I was reading about the Norwich old boys, humiliation and had a look at the Bungay game.
    I googled Bungay Town and came across the fact that their home ground was in Norfolk. Building the question around it, did take some time.

• @ChasHarps i genuinely salute you Sir.

• @ChasHarps ...a tip of the hat to you!

• Think that was the game where farm carts were used as temporary stands. Seriously!

• That reminds me @NewburyWanderer of an away trip in my Wealdstone supporting days (early/mid ‘sixties) when we were drawn away to a village side near Birmingham (whose name irritatingly eludes me) in one of the Cup competitions.

When the draw was made and even more so when we got to the ground and found that earthworks (a bank about four or five feet high) had been specially constructed behind one goal, we thought beating them would be a mere formality. Talk about pride before a fall. I don’t recall the score but we left with our tails between our legs (in the canine sense) the most unexpected defeat in the seven years that I followed the Stones.

A bit of googling has reminded me that the club in question was Alvechurch. Wikipedia, surprisingly, makes no reference to that particular game but does record that a couple of years later the two clubs met at Stamford Bridge in the semi-final of the FA Amateur Cup. Wealdstone went on to beat Hendon 3-1 in the Final at Wembley with Bernie Bremer scoring one of the goals.

• @micra didn't the boy Stuart Pearce start out at Wealdstone and Vinnie Jones?

• Big Turnover of players from Wealdstone in 69/70 season.
    Keith Searle and Johnny Hutchison played for the Stones against the Wanderers at the beginning of the season, but were in the light and dark blue a few months later when the two met in the Amateur cup.
    Future Wanderers Rob William's,Dave Bullock,Bernie Bremner and Gary Hand all played for the Stones that day.
    I reckon Brian Lee must have had a keen scouting network in Harrow.

• We had some great players at Lower Mead in the ‘sixties, including two England “amateur” internationals in Hugh Lindsay (Lindsey ??) and Charlie Townsend. Bernie “the bolt” Bremer and Johnny Hutchinson were great wingers and significant factors in my decision to switch to the even better stuff at Leakes Park after Wealdstone joined the semi-pro Southern League.

Yes @Wendoverman, both those hard men started out at Wealdstone.

• Pearce (psycho....let’s give him his proper name) when interviewed says he was playing in the Wealdstone youth team and got called up to the first team towards the end of the season when other players couldn’t make all the games (midweek evening away games/injuries etc.) and never got dropped after that.

Didn’t he go to Coventry when the manager said to his scouts, ‘I want to sign the best left footed defender from the lower leagues’?

• And to forest as the make-weight in a deal for another player.

• Stuart Pearce lives in Risborough now, a work colleague of mine goes to the occasional punk gig with Mr Pearce prior to lockdown.

• @micra said:
    We had some great players at Lower Mead in the ‘sixties, including two England “amateur” internationals in Hugh Lindsay (Lindsey ??) and Charlie Townsend. Bernie “the bolt” Bremer and Johnny Hutchinson were great wingers and significant factors in my decision to switch to the even better stuff at Leakes Park after Wealdstone joined the semi-pro Southern League.

Yes @Wendoverman, both those hard men started out at Wealdstone.

Did you see Wealdstone have produced a tribute brochure to Lower Mead? About 7 quid off their website, might be worth a look

• Thanks @peterparrotface. As you say, might be worth a look. No doubt it would trigger some wonderful memories.