Skip to content

Managers gone today

Karanka sacked at Birmingham and Jackett sacked at Portsmouth.

Hoping Birmingham dont get a new manager lift !

Comments

• Can’t believe Alex Neil isn’t among them.

• I know it is more based on the league form, but sacking Jackett the day after a Chuckletrade final which was delayed by a year is ironic timing.

"You had one job. One!"

• Looks like Lee Bowyer is taking over at Birmingham.

• I thought KJ had been given until the end of the season come what may...obviously looks like what may come has...

• @Wendoverman said:
    I thought KJ had been given until the end of the season come what may...obviously looks like what may come has...

Maybe they meant the 19/20 season?

• @drcongo said:
    Can’t believe Alex Neil isn’t among them.

Based on a look through the Preston fan site the other day, you'll not be alone.

• Not sure quite where Gareth stands now. Objectively a guy who knows how to get teams out of Lg1 should be high on both Portsmouth and Charlton’s lists but no sign of him on bookies lists.

Beginning to think he might be our Tisdale - often tipped for a bigger job than Exeter but somehow never happened (yes I know we are currently higher than Portsmouth or Charlton but I would see them as bigger clubs)

• @DevC said:
    Not sure quite where Gareth stands now. Objectively a guy who knows how to get teams out of Lg1 should be high on both Portsmouth and Charlton’s lists but no sign of him on bookies lists.

Beginning to think he might be our Tisdale - often tipped for a bigger job than Exeter but somehow never happened (yes I know we are currently higher than Portsmouth or Charlton but I would see them as bigger clubs)

Is there a danger that GA now stands for only one style of football? Hoofball. Probably not attractive to supposedly bigger clubs.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure quite where Gareth stands now. Objectively a guy who knows how to get teams out of Lg1 should be high on both Portsmouth and Charlton’s lists but no sign of him on bookies lists.

Ainsworth job speculation ✅
    Mention of Exeter ✅
    Mention of Tisdale ✅
    Talk of us being a small club ✅

• I don't always agree with GA, but considering what he has done on a budget of 10% of the division average, he deserves a standing ovation. We are a few minor incidents away from already being outside of the relegation zone, and even if we go down, we go down swinging.

So I don't always agree with him...and want him as our manager for as long as possible.

• I'm gobsmacked that it took Dev that long to copy and paste that post from last time he posted it.

• edited March 2021

@davecz said:

@DevC said:

Is there a danger that GA now stands for only one style of football? Hoofball. Probably not attractive to supposedly bigger clubs.

@davecz lucky we know you hold him in such high esteem or that might look like just another cheap dig at the manager.

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

@DevC said:

@davecz lucky we know you hold him in such high esteem or that might look like just another cheap dig at the manager.

Certainly wasn’t a cheap dig. Just a comment on how people may view him and his style of football. I hope he remains our manager for a long time but will certainly not be put off making a comment on the forum that sometimes goes against the general tone that we cannot say anything detrimental .

• Are you being silenced @davecz?

• edited March 2021

@davecz it's terrible to be silenced on a football forum. I've lost count of the posts from people who post their opinions and then post how they cannot post their opinions because they are not allowed to say what they want to say on the forum where they are saying it. It is a sad commentary on modern life. Glad to know you are not one of the people who view his style of football that way though...

• Hoofball @davecz ??

Please explain why you have used this term as for me it is most often used as a derogatory way of describing a longer ball style?

• Dave, why do you keep insinuating it’s some sort of battle to post comments that are ‘against the general tone’ of the gasroom (whatever that is)?

I don’t think a single one of your posts has ever been edited or deleted.

I suspect what you mean is that you don’t want any negative responses, which is a little bit precious.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Hoofball @davecz ??

Please explain why you have used this term as for me it is most often used as a derogatory way of describing a longer ball style?

You can call it ‘ longer ball style’ if you want. I prefer hoof ball, much better description of the way we have played in a lot of games.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Dave, why do you keep insinuating it’s some sort of battle to post comments that are ‘against the general tone’ of the gasroom (whatever that is)?

I suspect what you mean is that you don’t want any negative responses, which is a little bit precious.

I have very broad shoulders and happy to take all the flak. What surprises me is how quickly some respond if you say something slightly controversial. Bring it on, No problem.

• @davecz said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Dave, why do you keep insinuating it’s some sort of battle to post comments that are ‘against the general tone’ of the gasroom (whatever that is)?

I have very broad shoulders and happy to take all the flak. What surprises me is how quickly some respond if you say something slightly controversial. Bring it on, No problem.

So to be clear, you're not being silenced at all? You're just receiving criticism.

As a free speech advocate, welcome the criticism and stop bloody whinging.

• @davecz said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Hoofball @davecz ??

You can call it ‘ longer ball style’ if you want. I prefer hoof ball, much better description of the way we have played in a lot of games.

See I don't think that is a much better description. I just think it's a dig at the manager and the players. I think it's offensive to what they are trying to do.
    I also wonder if you are saying we play 'hoofball' in the games we don't win but not in the games we do. Why else would you talk about 'a lot of games' rather than all games.
    I just think some games we play better than others. Ultimately we set up to play roughly the same way.

I really don't buy your posting against the grain narrative. It's not big or clever. I hope you are ok.

• At least one Derby fan (mate of a fellow Gasroomer but apologies because I can’t remember who) reckoned that, compared with Barnsley’s approach, our style is silkily skilful. I’ve recently been vocal - unduly perhaps - about what I felt was a disproportionate amount of shapeless hoofball only to be be thoroughly put in my place by the team that outfootballed PNE.

Wonder if we are quick enough in our thinking and passing to play a passing game this evening or will we, as at the New Den for example, try to meet fire with fire.

• The reality is @Right_in_the_Middle , we have been playing a style of football that means hitting the ball forward as quickly as possible. It doesn’t really matter if you call it long ball or hoof ball, it’s the same thing. It’s not a dig at players or the manager , it’s just the way we play to try and compete in this league.

• But it’s clear that one of those terms is more loaded with negative connotations than the other.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I just think some games we play better than others. Ultimately we set up to play roughly the same way.

I would once have claimed that it was disprovable with stats, but actually, I'm starting to agree with you on this point. Every time I see you make this point, I have a poke around in the stats of the last few games and sure enough, there's no statistically significant difference in the number of long balls played between say, the Preston game (82), which in my head was a silky display of passing / attacking football (at least in the first half) compared to the Birmingham game (84) which in my head was an abject display of disinterest. The other thing of interest with these stats is that our opposition almost always play around the same number of long balls - Preston 89 and Birmingham 85.

The only places where there are statistically significant differences are with the things that happen in the attacking third - shots, crosses etc. - and the one that I think makes all the difference to how people perceive the match which is passing accuracy - 52% against Preston, 37% against Birmingham. If you have a look at our passing accuracy on any game that has people moaning about the quality or the tactics it's always low. On the more enjoyable games it's much higher.

• In my view, passing seems so much quicker in the Championship and we are either too slow or slow to anticipate and react to the attacking team and our own passes are often misplaced or too short and we are not cutting out opposition passes and breaking up play as well as we used to in League 1. As others have pointed out, we always seem to set up the same to me (despite others claiming different formations) and it's just that some games we have been good and got nowt, some games we have been poor and got nowt, and some games we've done enough to win. There have been some nice passages of passing football in most of the games...my worry is that Uche is not as positionally adept as Bayo and certainly not as accomplished in the air, but we are expecting him to be. Ball at his feet he is dangerous...and much much better than the big man at drawing and getting fouls! I understand other opinions are available and even encouraged under Gasroom rules...until new government legislation on cyber bullying at least.

• @davecz said:

The reality is @Right_in_the_Middle , we have been playing a style of football that means hitting the ball forward as quickly as possible. It doesn’t really matter if you call it long ball or hoof ball, it’s the same thing. It’s not a dig at players or the manager , it’s just the way we play to try and compete in this league.

It really does matter. Hoofball is a derogatory term.

• You just can't say the thing I've been saying all season.

But of course, I can't say that can I?

• In some of our worst games this season we've attempted lots of short passes and been fairly bad at it. A lot of the longest, most aimless stuff we have played is in trying to clear the ball. The worse your opposition are (or the better you are in relation to them) the less need or pressure there is to do that. You might get the odd game where they're targeting a specific weakness in the opposition but it seems mostly it's a case of getting rid under pressure and a lack of ideas ahead. You can't just decide to be better, needs to have good tackling, good positioning etc.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@davecz said:

@arnos_grove said:

So to be clear, you're not being silenced at all? You're just receiving criticism.

As a free speech advocate, welcome the criticism and stop bloody whinging.

It's not a criticism of free speech to criticise the content of the criticism that is being offered. Rather, it is through free discussion that one hopes that all involved will learn something.