Skip to content

Quick Friday quiz

2»

Comments

• @micra said:
    Was it beating Bishop Auckland for the first (and only) time? 4-1 in the Trophy.

That was the following season Mr Micra.

• I’ll kill that Monk fella!

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Remember the 2nd round at Sutton when we got thumped 5-1 - Mr Hardwick suspended. After several years of underachieving in the Trophy, we were desperate to have a good run. Real shock and horror that day (plus a bit of anger as well). We just didn't lose matches by that sort of margin then. Slightly more acceptable if away at a tough Northern side, but not a fellow Isthmian.

I was at that mauling at Gander Green lane, everything Sutton hit went in.
    Phil Bycroft a young reserve central defender (I think we signed him from Abingdon) was drafted in. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights against Sutton's experienced team.

• Going back to Steve Hardwick's sending off at Cheltenham, I recall it was a real, 'no nonsense' punch full in the face on the Cheltenham player. Even so, I remember being rather disappointed that the club let him go after that, as he seemed a good centre-back.

• There had been discipline problems before with Mr Hardwick, coupled with the fact that he looked very similar to the photo fit that the Yorkshire Police had distributed in the search for the Yorkshire Ripper !!
    The committee probably thought the time was right to let Mr Hardwick go.

• I was at the Cheltenham game and remember we won but have no recollection at all of the sending off!

• The quirky answer to the Quiz was.
    In 1981 our 1-0 v Cheltenham was the first time since the FA Trophy began, that the Wanderers had managed to defeat anyone, home or away whose name didnt start with B !!

• Bravo, good question.