Skip to content

Chris Wilder has left Sheff Utd

That's at least one vacancy we don't need to worry about Gaz leaving us for

Comments

• Seems like a weird time of the season to sack him (assuming he has been sacked rather than left of his own accord) - no chance for anyone else to come in and change things now.

Following on from Eddie Howe's sacking at Bournemouth it does make you despair for the ownership of some clubs.

Then again, I've seen fans of some other clubs wondering why we haven't sacked Ainsworth, seeing it as a sign of lack of ambition.

• Shame I can't thumbs up an opening post.

• I work on the assumption that that's how you respond to all my posts

• What a shame...fan of the club and helped them to their best position for ages. He'll go on to do well again...not so sure about the Blades.

• He's begun to resemble the man I remember when he was manager of Northampton and Oxford again recently

• At least partially an agument over transfer funds I think rather than punishment for performance. He'll rightly think he's done a brilliant job and deserves to see some of the money he has brought in, Chairman might not agree so much or be a bit more guarded with relegation in sight. Covid just lobbing another grenade into budget conversations up and down the country.

• Don't feel sorry for Wilder. No doubt a large compensation cheque already in his bank account, plus other clubs will be lining up to appoint him.

• Mixed feelings about Wilder. When he was at Northampton and Oxford I really couldn't stand him. At Sheffield United I couldn't argue that he had done a very decent job. Midway through there was a fly on the wall style documentary on him/Sheffield United. Showed him talking on the phone to a player or agent and he made a comment saying "come and join a proper football club". I couldn't take to him ever again!

• edited March 2021

So if you heard Gareth talking to a prospective signing from Luton and telling him to "come and join a proper club" would Gareth then be dead to you @EwanHoosaami?

• Midway through there was a fly on the wall style documentary on him/Sheffield United. Showed him talking on the phone to a player or agent and he made a comment saying "come and join a proper football club". I couldn't take to him ever again!

'Come and join us, we're a bit tin pot and there's not much money in it and I know it's Sheffield but you can live out of the city if they like and you'll probably get a better move at some poi...hello? Hello?'

• @mooneyman said:
    Don't feel sorry for Wilder. No doubt a large compensation cheque already in his bank account, plus other clubs will be lining up to appoint him.

Not feeling sorry for him @mooneyman just a shame as he seemed a good fit for his hometown club. Surprised they left it so late they might as well have let him see it out...it's not like they will do a Wycombe and escape relegation this season now is it? :smiley:

• Surely that depends on whether the Chairman sends an email ...

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:
    Don't feel sorry for Wilder. No doubt a large compensation cheque already in his bank account, plus other clubs will be lining up to appoint him.

Not feeling sorry for him @mooneyman just a shame as he seemed a good fit for his hometown club. Surprised they left it so late they might as well have let him see it out...it's not like they will do a Wycombe and escape relegation this season now is it? :smiley:

Or it could be argued that unlike us, they have accepted the inevitability of relegation and want to get a new manager in to assess the squad in the last few competitive matches. The new manager then has more time to build the"his squad" next season.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Mixed feelings about Wilder. When he was at Northampton and Oxford I really couldn't stand him. At Sheffield United I couldn't argue that he had done a very decent job. Midway through there was a fly on the wall style documentary on him/Sheffield United. Showed him talking on the phone to a player or agent and he made a comment saying "come and join a proper football club". I couldn't take to him ever again!

I remember someone describing him as "world class", which I thought was just a little overblown. Not sure if it was on here, the fb group or in the flesh.

He did a great job bringing them up, and for a very short period of time they managed to survive on a slightly unusual playing style, having a superb goalie on loan from United, and a very tight defence.
    Scoring next to no goals was always going to be their undoing, and when the keeper went back, injuries wrecked the back line, and teams had got wise to them, it wasn't a great surprise to see them have an even worse season then we've managed.

• @mooneyman said:
    So if you heard Gareth talking to a prospective signing from Luton and telling him to "come and join a proper club" would Gareth then be dead to you @EwanHoosaami?

I can't imagine that Gareth would be trying to sell us in that way TBH. Difference being, Gareth has a shite load more class than effectively rubbishing other clubs, instead he would promote the positives of ours.