Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Having a well run stable club with aspirations to improve on and off the pitch every year for people to go and see...that's the level I like.

This sustainable aspect is a key part. In the transfer window Ainsworth talked about strikers such as Austin and Murray being on the market but out of reach financially for us. We took Admiral Muskwe who may have a higher upside in the future but for now is learning the game.
    A club desperate to stay up may well have gone for the more established names and indeed bith went to clubs fearing the drop.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Shev said:
    I was recently reliably told by many Gasroomers that there is no such thing as a club's natural level. Where is all this talk of being up against it against clubs with more money coming from?

Because the two things are not linked? Unless your idea of natural level is based purely on money. I think you did mention size of ground at one point so maybe you are looking at it from a different angle to me.
    I like the idea that a club can achieve dreams. Just seems some like to moan about it straight after the dream is achieved (not you by the way)

Not purely based on money, but that is a massive part of it. For instance, Man City now have more money than Man United, but are not a bigger club (maybe 50 years from now when legions of new glory supporters have been born). However, their cash injection still changed their expectations significantly.

I know such a term as "natural level" is subjective, but it does have relevance as an instinctive way of measuring achievement. After all, why do we see Sunderland as falling on hard times? Why were Leeds seen as being in a kind of exile from the PL? To me, we seem to be really overachieving given our fan base and resources, and that is a joyful, wonderful thing!

I have never seen any evidence that the players and management are not trying. Never

The Birmingham game was played for a draw, which you know, I know, the management knows, the players know, and @glasshalffull knows. That is not trying to get "as many points as possible" - that is trying to get precisely one third of as many points as possible. Which is what you said was unforgivable.

Nobody said the players and management were not trying. You must have missed several words when reading the post.

• @eric_plant said:
    Amazes me that people can't tell the difference between playing shit and not trying to win

I agree and the reason why we were over cautious in that game, whether or not you think it was the right approach, is that we had conceded seven goals in the preceding game.

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I have never seen any evidence that the players and management are not trying. Never

The Birmingham game was played for a draw, which you know, I know, the management knows, the players know, and @glasshalffull knows. That is not trying to get "as many points as possible" - that is trying to get precisely one third of as many points as possible. Which is what you said was unforgivable.

Nobody said the players and management were not trying. You must have missed several words when reading the post.

How do you even play for a draw?

I seem to remember their keeper making an absolutely superb save. Not sure how that plays into your narrative

• @drcongo said:

Do you really think the manager said to the players before the match ‘Ok, boys. Forget any thoughts of trying to win tonight, I want us to go for a draw.’?

• I'm with @drcongo here - you play for a draw by focusing more on keeping it tight and keeping players back, rather than committing men forward. It's more a case of "make sure you at least draw, and a win would be a nice bonus if one of our rare shots go in."

I would call it more trying not to lose as the first priority, which ends up much the same thing as playing for a draw.

• Trying not to lose is different from not trying to win. I have never heard of any team trying to draw.

• edited March 2021

Yes

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Trying not to lose is different from not trying to win. I have never heard of any team trying to draw.

1982 World Cup - the disgrace of Gijon...were you not there?

These will become a regular occurence after the next World Cup when Thiefa expand the World Cup

• One thing is for certain.

That talk of how it didn't matter how we did this season, just having reached this level was beyond our wildest dreams quickly changed didn't it!

• I was there but it was a 1-0 win to West Germany, not a draw. The result suited both teams because it meant they would go through at Algeria’s expense. It was disgraceful and led to a change in the format so that teams in each group now play their final ties at the same time on the same day.

• @Malone said:
    One thing is for certain.

That talk of how it didn't matter how we did this season, just having reached this level was beyond our wildest dreams quickly changed didn't it!

That's because there is no such thing as a natural level, and we immediately became as big as Norwich upon promotion. I just did not realize this at the time!

• @Malone said:

I said the same thing a few weeks ago and was firmly reprimanded for it!

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:

That's because there is no such thing as a natural level, and we immediately became as big as Norwich upon promotion. I just did not realize this at the time!

You're getting a bit hung up on this natural level business fella.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

I said the same thing a few weeks ago and was firmly reprimanded for it!

You could say the most conciliatory, pleasant, generous comment about the least controversial subject, and the usual 3-4 gripe artists would moan about it.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

That's because I trademarked the phrase in eager expectation of the Gasroom agreeing with me, only to realize it is wasted money. Ah well.

• edited March 2021

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

That's because I trademarked the phrase in eager expectation of the Gasroom agreeing with me, only to realize it is wasted money. Ah well.

In fairness, a gasroom consensus is never a Wycombe fan consensus.

Although the fb group is about 100 times worse.
    I saw one oaf saying Samuel was the worst striker we'd ever had, and another clown saying he only plays because he's a church mate of Ainsworth!

That Samuel who has started about 1 or at max 2 games in 2021

• @drcongo said:

@drcongo said:

Total and utter rubbish. Please don't tell me what I should think.
    I think Ainsworth mentioned on his post match interview that he was mindful of the damaging effects a late defeat would have had and may have made substitutions late to help that.

To say we played that game trying not to win is rubbish.

• I don't believe we played for a draw against Birmingham or are lacking in effort or intent. Wycombe teams have tried to be tight, defensive and break quickly...or deliver the ball forward at speed for as long as GA has been in charge. We just were woeful that particular night, as were Birmingham. We were both there for the taking but neither team produced enough to take!

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

It's fair to say that Wycombe were more cautious than many of us us were hoping to see in that match, but to say they were playing for a draw is obviously nonsense. @drcongo is just in a bad mood.

He knows it, I know it, the players know it, @glasshalffull knows it, Andrew Howard knows it, my cat knows it, his cat really knows it.

• Rule changes back in 2026 - money talks

• Malone's love for glasshalffull is one of the purest I have ever witnessed

• @LX1 said:
    It's fair to say that Wycombe were more cautious than many of us us were hoping to see in that match, but to say they were playing for a draw is obviously nonsense. @drcongo is just in a bad mood.

He knows it, I know it, the players know it, @glasshalffull knows it, Andrew Howard knows it, my cat knows it, his cat really knows it.

Thanks @LX1. My first laugh out loud moment of the day.

• @eric_plant said:
    Malone's love for glasshalffull is one of the purest I have ever witnessed

I cannot vouch for @Malone or his feelings but from my point of view sometimes the piling in by some over some innocuous post can be a drag @eric_plant

• Shouldn't there be a comma somewhere in your sentence @micra. Also, unlike you to quote the same word "some" twice in a sentence!

Sorry, I'm getting bored with Mastershef tonight micra.

• Not me gov ! Some other guy. Someone from somewhere in Nottinghamshire I think. Supported Notts Forest before moving south. Unforgotten has a slight edge over Masterchef. (Recorded)

Total and utter rubbish. Please don't tell me what I should think.
    I think Ainsworth mentioned on his post match interview that he was mindful of the damaging effects a late defeat would have had and may have made substitutions late to help that.

To say we played that game trying not to win is rubbish.

You’re doing that thing again where you argue with something you’ve completely imagined. I said we played for a draw, not that we tried not to win. Nobody has ever said we have tried not to win. You’ve made something up to argue with.

• That is not how I and others interpreted your comments so I think you are playing with words. You said that the Birmingham game was ‘played for a draw’ that it was ‘not trying to get "as many points as possible" - that is trying to get precisely one third of as many points as possible.’
    That certainly comes across as an accusation that we didn’t try to win.