Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Taylor looked a future England captain when playing for us at 17.
    Quite a shame the main memories most have of him are those two clips of clowning around.

• Played 268 games in the premier for Newcastle over 13 years.
    Many Geordies dream of a career like that for the Mags.

• He looks more animated in that picture than he ever did on the pitch for us.

• Martin O'Neill 20/1 to replace him, although Eddie Howe the frontrunner.

• I see Tiny (eternal thanks for that one @floyd ) scored for Walsall in their defeat yesterday.

I was also interested to see that Gary Waddock is assisting Mark Bonner through Cambridge's promotion push. See here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2021/feb/04/homegrown-hero-mark-bonner-and-wes-hoolahan-help-cambridge-to-the-top-league-two

• Went to see how Parker was getting on at Burton. After 2 starts, he was taken off in his 3rd game at 60 mins and hasn’t made the squad since. Zero goals.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Went to see how Parker was getting on at Burton. After 2 starts, he was taken off in his 3rd game at 60 mins and hasn’t made the squad since. Zero goals.

Don't ruin it mate, him and Freeman were the answer this season!

• I noted that Dany Senda & Mat Harold are to continue assisting Joby Macunuff as he is given the Leyton Orient managers role until the end of the season.

• Unless they have come to some amicable arrangement or accommodation, the compensation payment, two years (three?) into a five year contract, will be substantial.

• He doesn't seem to enjoy being a football manager, maybe he should try something else. Not Media though, Please God no.

• That rather depends on the terms of his contract and whether it was indeed by mutual consent.
    If the finances are not too bad, good job for someone.

• Big couple of months for Freeman now. Hasn’t overly impressed at Orient by all accounts but new manager. Can he prove himself worthy of giving himself an option for next season if not at WWFC.

• @DevC said:
    Big couple of months for Freeman now. Hasn’t overly impressed at Orient by all accounts but new manager. Can he prove himself worthy of giving himself an option for next season if not at WWFC.

Not sure why this is in the ex players thread.

'By all accounts' isn't really true either

• Jamie Mascoll has been loaned to Waterford, in the League of Ireland, for the rest of the season.

• Derek Duncan takes over at Romford, he replaces the controversial Glen Tamplin who is now 'working' abroad.

• Sorry it's the mail, but here's a story about Barry Silkman (for those old enough to remember him).....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9345755/Football-agent-fights-businessman-8000-000-court-row-woman-loved.html

• I do remember Barry Silkman but memory plays tricks. Before checking the records, I could have sworn that I’d seen him playing in a Cup game against us for Harrow Borough in the early days at Adams Park. As he is 68 now, he would have been about 50 at the time so I may well be suffering from FMS (False Memory Syndrome).

According to Wikipedia, he played six games for Wycombe in season 1986-87. I don’t recall that. Must have been on holiday.

• Interesting debate on the Sunderland message board about who is better in midfield - 09 or Scowen. :smile:

• @micra said:
    I do remember Barry Silkman but memory plays tricks. Before checking the records, I could have sworn that I’d seen him playing in a Cup game against us for Harrow Borough in the early days at Adams Park. As he is 68 now, he would have been about 50 at the time so I may well be suffering from FMS (False Memory Syndrome).

According to Wikipedia, he played six games for Wycombe in season 1986-87. I don’t recall that. Must have been on holiday.

Played under Alan Gane in that memorable season, stroked the ball around well when we were winning. Totally neglected the defensive side of the game. He was unceremoniously given the tin tac in the dressing room after a defeat at Loakes Park.

• Who’s winning, @Wendoverman ?

• @micra said:
    Who’s winning, @Wendoverman ?

Pretty even but I get the feeling neither are particularly liked...and having them in the team and being lauded by some is seen as a symbol of how low the Mackems have 'fallen'.

• Not sure either of them would be BTWWG.
    (Did I get that right, kids?). I’ve been surprised by how little Curtis Thompson has played recently. Earlier in the season we were dreading that he would get injured (again). He seemed all conquering at the time. Great to see him back. Not convinced by Dominic Gape this season but, to be fair, he seemed to have two or three injuries to contend with and he was more convincing yesterday in a more attacking role.

Neither Scowen nor O'nien can hold a candle to Mehmeti when it comes to skill, close control and creativity. IMHO.

• @micra He played against us for Harrow Boro in that famous Cup campaign of 2000/01. Came on as a sub to create some daft record on oldest player ever to waddle about pointlessly in the FA Cup or something. I'd have been seething, if I were a Boro fan.

• Silkman. He tried to turn that cup tie into a circus by offering to race Sanchez didn't he.

Our Lawrie was in still in controlled mode at that point and played it expertly brushing it off with the contempt it deserved.

• Silkman put in a masterclass against Tooting in 1986, we were 4-0 up with about 15 to 20 minutes to go. The crowd were shocked to see Barry subbed as he was running the show, and he absolutely sprinted off the pitch.
    Turns out Barry was a greyhound trainer at the time, and it had been pre agreed if the game was won, he could get away early to see one of his dogs run.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Silkman put in a masterclass against Tooting in 1986, we were 4-0 up with about 15 to 20 minutes to go. The crowd were shocked to see Barry subbed as he was running the show, and he absolutely sprinted off the pitch.
    Turns out Barry was a greyhound trainer at the time, and it had been pre agreed if the game was won, he could get away early to see one of his dogs run.

I remember that game, Chas! He did have some good dogs around the time that his playing career was coming to an end. He nicked my paraders coat before a race at Wembley one night. (That, along with an incident involving a somewhat inebriated Noel Ashford, is one of the 2 stories in my yet-to-be-written book, provisionally titled "Strange Encounters with WW Players".)

• Scowen and O'Nien playing for Sunderland in the EFL Trophy Final right now.

I'm still cheering for Tranmere though.