Skip to content

Match day thread: Stoke

Comments

• Disappointing as we had most of most posters' best 11 out there today.

• @jessvl1 said:
    The flatness of today’s game has probably made me cynical, but I do genuinely worry about the prospect of us losing Mehmeti. If I was his agent I’d be backing him to get picked up by a championship club next season, although admittedly we might be able to still get him on loan in that scenario.

He’s one of the few bright spots lately. Perhaps Norwich will come in with an offer we can’t refuse!

• @Brownie said:
    Matt Cecil did make a comment about 10 minutes ago about Mehmeti continuing his development on the pitch for us "into next season and beyond" - a man who is likely to know more than we do.

I missed that - I was probably furiously tapping on my phone. Fingers crossed.

• @Commoner although I completely agree with the substance of what you are saying, which is why I said at half time ‘ This formation requires a lot of defensive hard work from Wheeler and McCleary, and even then leaves us exposed at full back.’ talking about the 4-1-2-1-2

• What a bloody racket. Thought our PA was bad!

• Sigh, that wasn't great fun. Comfy defeat.

Onto the next one.

• Well that was underwhelming again. Well done to Stoke - won it fair and square. Excellent ref - I’d be glad if they all had the same manner and approach as him. Not sure how we hope to win (m)any more games playing as we are at present.

• @Chris said:
    @Commoner although I completely agree with the substance of what you are saying, which is why I said at half time ‘ This formation requires a lot of defensive hard work from Wheeler and McCleary, and even then leaves us exposed at full back.’ talking about the 4-1-2-1-2

You can pick whatever formation you like, they all rely on better basic passing than we had today. We rode our luck in the first half but it caught up with us. If you can't find better passing you're always going to be on the back foot.

• Very, very flat today. Never really looked like we were getting going against a tidy and solid but not exceptional Stoke team. When we get Mehmeti on the ball we look threatening but still insist on banging it into (or over) Uche's head 90% of the time.

• Not quite as disgruntling as Wednesday, mainly because of the brilliance of one of our midfielders.

• Poor performance from what little I saw of the game with all the constant replays! No one really played well, with the exception of Mehmeti who was superb. We just couldn't get him on the ball enough.

The hope from that brief spell of promising games seems to have evaporated, that was very lacklustre today. Not fussed about going down, but I do want to see some fight. We look a bit of a soft touch at the moment, not something I ever thought I'd say about us!

• Poor performance today. We looked clueless at times. Mehmeti is promising and hopefully we can keep him. Performances are not giving Knight any reason to come to us next season if he leaves Leicester. The remaining fixtures are going to be a tough watch if we continue in this vein of form.

• @Brownie said:
    Very, very flat today. Never really looked like we were getting going against a tidy and solid but not exceptional Stoke team. When we get Mehmeti on the ball we look threatening but still insist on banging it into (or over) Uche's head 90% of the time.

Relying on a teenager with about 8 career league appearances is not a great place to be in.

• Teams play simple one twos past us, we can play a one but don't look for the two. Looked better when we had the small men on at the end, more balls to feet

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:
    Very, very flat today. Never really looked like we were getting going against a tidy and solid but not exceptional Stoke team. When we get Mehmeti on the ball we look threatening but still insist on banging it into (or over) Uche's head 90% of the time.

Relying on a teenager with about 8 career league appearances is not a great place to be in.

Agreed, but it's where we are. Comfortably the best creative outlet in the side.

• @HCblue said:
    Love Josh as a player and think he’s doing well today. But his attitude to refs is v poor.

It's not just his attitude to refs - he has this very distasteful way of shrugging his shoulders at any misplaced pass from one of our own players to him, kinda like he's saying 'what should I expect playing with incompetents below my level'. He comes across as quite a petulant player, not at all Wycombised in that respect.

See also, Mehmeti. They're both always cussing and snarling in their close ups. Maybe that's the price we have to accept for natural talent but I think they both might benefit from using this period as a time to mature, fast.

• Well another tenner, another defeat. Wonder if IFollow would be interested in a £7 deal, as I lose the will to continue watching around 70 minutes. Usually start with 3 of us watching, then I find I'm left alone around 70th minute as my wife and son abandon the good ship hope?

• @aloysius said:

@HCblue said:
    Love Josh as a player and think he’s doing well today. But his attitude to refs is v poor.

It's not just his attitude to refs - he has this very distasteful way of shrugging his shoulders at any misplaced pass from one of our own players to him, kinda like he's saying 'what should I expect playing with incompetents below my level'. He comes across as quite a petulant player, not at all Wycombised in that respect.

See also, Mehmeti. They're both always cussing and snarling in their close ups. Maybe that's the price we have to accept for natural talent but I think they both might benefit from using this period as a time to mature, fast.

I think I prefer to see those two natural winners snarling when it's not going well, then say Fred giggling when he's just lost the ball.

• Mehmeti was brilliant, everyone else, not so much. If only we had ten Mehmetis.

• Ha ha, a team of ten Mehmetis would lose about 10-0!

• Fred was woeful today. I just don’t know where his head is at. Gets ball. Waits. Gets overwhelmed. Loses ball. Repeat.
    Horgan did what Horgan does best. Gets in a really good crossing position and then does a really rubbish cross.
    Bayo finishing like a player who has not scored in over a year.

Mehmeti was the only bright spot

• But it’d be a lot more fun @eric_plant.

• Mehmeti might beat you up for calling him a teenager @Malone. Snarling all the while and probably muttering “the bigger they are the harder they fall”.

• I'm at a little bit of a lose at what to say, I can accept losing bit would hope for a bit of fight, I dont think we are now. I didnt expect to stay up this season, I knew it would be tough and I'll have the memories of the games we did perform well and above expectations. I'll back this management and team to come bouncing back next season, but If performances stay the same then I'm not sure how long people's good grace will last

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Fred was woeful today. I just don’t know where his head is at. Gets ball. Waits. Gets overwhelmed. Loses ball. Repeat.
    Horgan did what Horgan does best. Gets in a really good crossing position and then does a really rubbish cross.
    Bayo finishing like a player who has not scored in over a year.

Mehmeti was the only bright spot

Fred has been disappointing for most of the season.Horgan has flattered to deceive in most games. Cannot see him staying around , although don’t know who’ll buy him. Poor old Bayo looks like he has never scored!! Hope we see sense and don’t sign him for next season . Need to sign Mehmeti on a decent contract. Hopefully he will be loyal to us as we gave him a second chance.

• Same issues as games from before Huddersfield so won’t go through it again. One point though, free kicks from centre circle back. In the improved spell we started mixing it up a bit, taking some short etc and looked all the better for it. Now we’ve reverted back to punting it to the edge of the box EVERY single time. Do they as professional footballers accept that that is all they can do? Are they allowed to practice alternatives? In League 2/1 this was ok to a point as playing percentages is important as we scored a lot of goals from it, and the technical ability of the players we had probably meant this was acceptable. At this level, have we scored a single goal from this tactic? Not sure if I can remember one. Championship defenders deal with it so easily. And absolutely exclusively we look somewhat dangerous when we get the ball down and play a bit, but totally ineffective with long ball heavy tactics.

And a additional point while I’m here. Get it into Uche’s FEET. He’s ok in the air but not fantastic for his size. He’s awesome with the ball into feet.

• @Quarterman said:
    Same issues as games from before Huddersfield so won’t go through it again. One point though, free kicks from centre circle back. In the improved spell we started mixing it up a bit, taking some short etc and looked all the better for it. Now we’ve reverted back to punting it to the edge of the box EVERY single time. Do they as professional footballers accept that that is all they can do? Are they allowed to practice alternatives? In League 2/1 this was ok to a point as playing percentages is important as we scored a lot of goals from it, and the technical ability of the players we had probably meant this was acceptable. At this level, have we scored a single goal from this tactic? Not sure if I can remember one. Championship defenders deal with it so easily. And absolutely exclusively we look somewhat dangerous when we get the ball down and play a bit, but totally ineffective with long ball heavy tactics.

And a additional point while I’m here. Get it into Uche’s FEET. He’s ok in the air but not fantastic for his size. He’s awesome with the ball into feet.

This all comes down to tactics, are we tactically astute ?.... I'm not so sure if I'm honest

• Why copy down a lengthy comment (with which I’ve much sympathy) posted four minutes before you’re own @HolmerBlue ?

• Really felt for the team today. Battled so hard to stay in without really getting a foothold in the game. Got pulled apart with the only bit of true Championship quality and the the energy just evaporates. It’s horrible to watch on the screen as the gut reaction is to just cheer a bit louder but they can’t hear me. I am certain the team would have reacted differently with a crowd.

Now I have a theory on Uche. I don’t think he helps the team as a target man and central striker. I know he feeds off scraps but he rarely holds the ball and links play up. He’s rarely on the end of a cross. I think his best value might be in one of the wider striker roles. That’s where he does his best work and stands more chance of getting the ball at his feet. I’d play Samuel or Bayo in the centre.

Finally I wonder what is going on with our full backs. Are they being asked to stay back as in previous seasons we have thrived from full back crosses further up the pitch.

• Because I was responding to said comment, at the time of typing quite a few people were still posting and didnt to get lost in an avalanche of comments. As it happens no one has posted since until yourself... slow news night, or people are just drowning their sorrows