Skip to content

Match day thread: Stoke

Comments

• @Malone said:
    Would have been a soft pen on Admiral there, but the defender didn't touch the ball.

Yeah agreed. Admiral stepped across the defender.

• Too selfish from attacking players. Uche and Mehmeti trying to do it all themselves

• Mehmeti is holding onto the ball with his head up waiting for some movement from his teammates

Once they get on his wavelength he is going to create so much for us

• Signs of life in the last 10. I’m surprised Stoke aren’t doing better. They pass and move well and are also pretty niggly. Close from The Admiral there.

• When we get the ball at the feet of Muskwe and Mehmeti, one feels good things might happen. But the style we play means that isn’t happening nearly enough.

• @eric_plant said:
    Mehmeti is holding onto the ball with his head up waiting for some movement from his teammates

Once they get on his wavelength he is going to create so much for us

Prufrock_91 ?

• Probably should be losing on the balance of play, but a strong last 10 minutes to the half there. Still well in the game.

• We’ve stopped passing into empty spaces a little now. This has allowed Admiral, McCleary and Mehmeti to get into the game. And the different is we look almost dangerous. Tafazoli with a header 2nd half will seal it

• PS. Loving the ref.

• Link up play pretty average, possibly due to attacks being rare and rushed but other than that we've been ok in a fairly average game. We'll get some chances hopefully.

• Muskwe looks strong with a decent eye for goal. I'd love to see what would happen if he and Uche were played together up front with two wingers cutting in.

This Stoke style of playing looks to me to be what Gareth should try to emulate in the seasons to come. Huge players, aggressive, fast - but with attacking intent and width. They're taking Wycombisation to the next level in Stoke. A massively bigger budget than us obviously, but we're heading that way by signing players like Uche and Tafazolli. Just need bigger men in central midfield really.

• Awful first half hour, but we finished the half well. This formation requires a lot of defensive hard work from Wheeler and McCleary, and even then leaves us exposed at full back.

• Hoofing it long to the big man upfront is one thing but hoofing it long to a big man who isn't there, because he's back defending again, is taking things to a new level.

• Nick Powell is a class above. Think McCarthy is handling a £10m signing in Jack Clarke very well.

• Replay suggests to me that there could be contact on Admiral high up at hip / thigh level.

• @aloysius said:
    Muskwe looks strong with a decent eye for goal. I'd love to see what would happen if he and Uche were played together up front with two wingers cutting in.

This Stoke style of playing looks to me to be what Gareth should try to emulate in the seasons to come. Huge players, aggressive, fast - but with attacking intent and width. They're taking Wycombisation to the next level in Stoke. A massively bigger budget than us obviously, but we're heading that way by signing players like Uche and Tafazolli. Just need bigger men in central midfield really.

I thought the same thing about Middlesbrough, like Wycombe plus.

• Think it's been said before but as you go up the league's the players are just better all rounders, the Big guys are quick too, the guys you think of as passers are mostly 6 foot.

@JohnBoy said:
    Nick Powell is a class above. Think McCarthy is handling a £10m signing in Jack Clarke very well.

• @railwaysteve said:
    Replay suggests to me that there could be contact on Admiral high up at hip / thigh level.

Never enough for a penalty, though perhaps would've made up for the many definite penalties we haven't been given!

• Think we've got away with one there

• @eric_plant said:
    Think we've got away with one there

Very much so

• This has got one nil to Wycombe written all over it

• Don’t put the mockers on it @eric_plant !

• Don't believe in that nonsense old chap

• @eric_plant said:
    This has got one nil to Wycombe written all over it

Well it did.

• So...does iFollow include a partial refund for the 20 minutes of live action we miss each game for replays?

• Love Josh as a player and think he’s doing well today. But his attitude to refs is v poor.

• That is so frustrating @Shev. At one point the camera focused on a Stoke player adjusting his socks during an exciting period of play.

• Time for five subs?

• Four candles?

• @HCblue said:
    Love Josh as a player and think he’s doing well today. But his attitude to refs is v poor.

Funny as I was thinking he was struggling badly and we have better options in that position.

Then he gets moved around for the goal.

As a side we look knackered