Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• edited March 2021

There it is. Wheeler more advanced and a more defensive feel overall?

• I see young Pochettino is on the bench for Watford

• Wheels is good everywhere, but I’d guess today’s role will be a slightly deeper CM role than Anis played. More ahead of Gape-Knight than behind Uche.

• 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 maybe (latter probably too attacking for this match) Fred and Daryl better have their defensive boots on tonight or Joe will be very exposed?

• I was there when they narrowly beat us (1-0 aet) in an early season League Cup game. The game that Beavon missed because he was in the throes of negotiating a transfer. (I think I’ve got that right.).

I watched that game with my best mate - a (mainly armchair) Watford fan. We sat behind the goal at the Vicarage Road end and my abiding memory is of how well we played and how often Anthony Stewart stormed forward into or close to the Watford penalty area from his position at right back. That game was 8.5 years ago so he would have been just short of his twentieth birthday. They say history repeats itself and it has been noticeable that Anthony has made one or two impressive forward runs since he became captain a few games ago so perhaps we will see something similar tonight.

On the other hand, if JJ plays (very much hope so) and is captain, he might want AS to

• Drafted before dinner and now outdated in at least one respect!

• @Wendoverman Top quality shop floor Latin. Hats off.

• Does anyone know if this is available on sky red button ?

• Did Big Phil just say Tafazolli hasn't played in the same team as Uche since mid December?

What about 2 games ago!

• Blue was going to be a dreadful clash with that yellow

• @leo030500 said:
    Does anyone know if this is available on sky red button ?

Yes it is

• edited March 2021

Isaac Success. That is an immense name.

• @leo030500 said:

it’s a Sky Bonus Stream available on NowTV so would assume it’s on red button

• @leo030500 said:

Yeah go to sky sports football (403)

• At least there is none of this pretentious latin nonsense on it. 'Victory before dinner' or whatever.> @HolmerBlue said:

Blue was going to be a dreadful clash with that yellow

Fuming. How hard is it to produce light blue shorts?

• edited March 2021

Poor that we aren't in the Blue Quarters tonight. Disappointing as it is an unnecessary change. Having said that, the red kit is great.

• @HolmerBlue said:

Unless the ref has determined our dark blue shorts clashed with Watford’s black there’s no reason to change.

Sky commentator just described our kit as Orange and White!!!

• @Shev said:
    At least there is none of this pretentious latin nonsense on it. 'Victory before dinner' or whatever.> @HolmerBlue said:

Fuming. How hard is it to produce light blue shorts?

Shouldn't be hard at all, drives me mad.... waiting now for all the people who say it doesn't matter

• Surely we have to have 'The Horgan Game' at some point, right?

• Who on Earth is this iFollow co-commentator? Only 3 minutes in and it feels like I'm playing a game of playing vs Wycombe cliche bingo.

• was going to say who's the cock-er-nee spiv

• Stick it in, JJ!

• @HolmerBlue said:

Shouldn't be hard at all, drives me mad.... waiting now for all the people who say it doesn't matter

EFL rules

14.5 When away from home a Club shall play in a registered kit which is (shirts, shorts, and socks) clearly distinguishable from those of their opponents. The League reserves the right to relax this requirement in respect of shorts where appropriate and after consultation with match officials. In circumstances where an ‘away’ Club cannot wear any of its kits without causing a potential kit clash, that Club shall be able to wear any combination of its registered kit in order to avoid the potential kit clash.

So as we don’t have light blue shorts registered we’d have to play in quartered tops with yellow or red shorts. But as the red/white kit is distinguishable in all respects rule 14.5 would apply before the relaxation could reasonably be used.

Additionally light blue shorts/socks are not, as far as I know, registered.

• I think the red kit excuse will be Leicester City anniversary. As for ifollow, it’s going to be a long old night with Phil’s co-commentator.

• Standing behind the sprayed line now optional at free kicks?

• Did Fred touch Sarr at all there?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Standing behind the sprayed line now optional at free kicks?

Hit the top of the wall too. That may have been the difference!

• Hugely irritated that people get media work and clearly can’t even be arsed to phonetically write down players’ names. Lazy and disrespectful.

• They are much better than they were in AP. JJ getting hugely exposed

• Surely JJ is too experienced to get caught out like that.