Skip to content

20 years ago today

Many of us were desperately trying to get a golden ticket for Filbert Street

Comments

• Thanks for that reminder @LX1

WHAT. A. DAY.

• I was fortunate to be there with my two sons and I remember (apart from a couple of youths) the warmth and graciousness of the Leicester fans in congratulating us, as we walked back to our car. We enjoyed a not dissimilar experience at White Hart Lane in 2017. Just shows that fans at almost any level, can appreciate passionate performances from the opposition.

• Have to echo those sentiments @ValleyWanderer both Leicester & Spurs fans were very gracious and humble on our way back to the car/train. Great memories.

• LX1LX1
    edited March 2021

If the gasroom didn't exist, I probably wouldn't have been there.

I will be forever grateful to the saviour who sorted me a ticket on this site (well the old site).

• An amazing period with so many memories. Crazy to think how certain I was that we would beat Leicester and then Liverpool.

Wonder why the certainty of results hasn't translated in to this current season? Is it just because I am not there and not living each matchday emotion?

Curiously my brain always flips those matchday memories to my view on the day rather than the camera view on the other side of the pitch that I have seen so so many more times.

• I'd love to live it all again. The emotion of that day overwhelmed me completely and I was an absolute wreck.

I feel I'd take it all in far better now.

That split second of silence as the ball hit the net. It will live with me forever. Then absolute mayhem

• Someone should write a book about it

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Curiously my brain always flips those matchday memories to my view on the day rather than the camera view on the other side of the pitch that I have seen so so many more times.

This is a curious phenomenon. Mine does the same for Rhino's goal against Liverpool, I can't actually picture it at all from the camera position. However for that Steve Guppy goal against Runcorn, my brain remembers it from the place I now sit in the Frank Adams upper tier, which I'm fairly sure didn't even exist when he scored it. I think I actually watched it from quite close the camera position.

• What a great season that was, Filbert Street was amazing. Another game where we took almost 10x our average away following to a fixture.

There are a few memories from that day which will always remain like it happened yesterday:
    Browny smashing Robbie Savage early doors.
    Browny getting sent off and how emotional he and all of us were.
    The penalty that wasn't given.
    Finding friends in the crowd when the final whistle went, the sheer elation/disbelief on what we'd achieved across everyone's faces.
    and of course Essandoh.

The Leicester fans were very gracious before and after the game.

I've never understood why more people don't follow Wycombe, something happens pretty much every season!

• Your last sentence is absolutely spot on. When you consider the legions of clubs throughout the country where mid table mediocrity is the norm, we have been so privileged to follow a club where the phrase ‘typical end of season game’ has been so rarely used.

• Up there with one of my best experiences ever ! Hugging complete strangers when that Essendoh goal went in, pandemonium

Slightly different experience to @ValleyWanderer though... the pub we went in before the game the Leicester fans were brilliant, after the game we arranged to meet up in there again as the 4 of us that went up together had to split up as we didnt have seats together. My mate who got there first rang us all and said " do NOT go back in there, it's all kicking off".... we went to the outskirts to celebrate

• By the time I got out of the ground there were no Leicester fans to be seen. Just didn't want to leave

• @Commoner said:

I've never understood why more people don't follow Wycombe, something happens pretty much every season!

There's a reason why 'may you live in eventful times' is used as a curse. I'm sure supporting Wycombe has aged me prematurely.

And I wouldn't change a moment of it.

• As I have posted many times, we couldn't get tickets via Wycombe, so we got tickets in the Leicester end without much difficulty. My eldest son was 10 at the time. I had to physically restrain him when we went 1-0 up. At 1-1 everyone around was going nuts except us 2. As Roy headed in the winner we went absolutely berserk, we were stared at and a couple of choice words, but the vast majority of fans were very positive. One of the great days out following the Chairboys.

• I remember Oily Sailor's poem the day before based on our horrific record in the red and white quartered strip, which proved prophetically wrong:

To keep the fans nice and mellow
    Trot out tomorrow in happy yellow
    If you choose to play in red
    Many people will end up dead

I went up with a friend and fellow Gasroomer who I distinctly recall saying to me 'either we'll lose 9-0 or Essendoh will score a last minute winner'. He later phoned up Adrian Chiles on 606, accidentally swore, and lamented how we could win at Leicester but couldn't beat Port Vale.

• The date of the match 20 years ago against Leicester was the 10th March. I know this as it coincided with my wife’s birthday. I don’t often buy her flowers but did that year. Aye, a grand day out.