Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Norwich

1234689

Comments

  • @Malone said:

    @Vincey said:
    Think we have seen the reason why Kashket hasn’t featured recently, he’s got to work the keeper with one of those chances.

    Aside from that a good showing today, not a million miles away from coming away with a point.

    Don't know why he tried a near impossible chip from one of them.
    It was dropping perfectly for him to take a lash at first time as the best option, or get it down and move it to the side to get a shot off for the second best option.

    I actually thought the lob was on to be honest, there was enough room beyond Krul to get it back down. Kashket just got twice as much on it than he needed to, it wasnt even close to going in.

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • @Vincey said:

    @Malone said:

    @Vincey said:
    Think we have seen the reason why Kashket hasn’t featured recently, he’s got to work the keeper with one of those chances.

    Aside from that a good showing today, not a million miles away from coming away with a point.

    Don't know why he tried a near impossible chip from one of them.
    It was dropping perfectly for him to take a lash at first time as the best option, or get it down and move it to the side to get a shot off for the second best option.

    I actually thought the lob was on to be honest, there was enough room beyond Krul to get it back down. Kashket just got twice as much on it than he needed to, it wasnt even close to going in.

    A lob takes exceptional precision, and just seemed a strange option when it was so low percentage an option.
    But never mind.

  • Decent performance. Norwich could have been further ahead but at 1-0 we were always in with a chance. The last 15 minutes we really had a go and could have got something . If we play like that for the remaining fixtures, who knows. Need 8 wins out of 14 games to have a chance. The impossible dream??

  • @aloysius said:

    @TheDancingYak said:

    @aloysius said:
    I'm wondering whether Mehmeti can be a bit too selfish at times. That last chance in particular, instead of going for goal from miles out he could have played a short pass out to Fred on his left who had three others to aim for in the box, plus Mehmeti could have run into space for a one two.

    READ ALL ABOUT IT! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

    Young inexperienced player in “Needs to improve some areas of his game” shocker

    Dear o lore.

    So you agree with me but you think it's inappropriate to point it out on a matchday discussion thread?

    I think you think pointing out the bleedin’ obvious is worthy of a post on match day discussion, then off you go.

    Personally, I wouldn’t be criticising a player with less than 15 professional appearances for not taking a different decision while playing against a team seemingly destined for the premiership next season.

    Had he not been in those positions to make those decisions or been completely anonymous I would have been much more concerned.

  • I thought it was almost terrifying how fast Pukki was - his acceleration over a short distance was astonishing.

    No shame in today's result or performance. Norwich are Premier league team in all but name.

  • Premier League or Premiership? Such a difficult decision. Just think of Wasps and.........oh forget it. I can’t help being a tiresome, irritating pedant. And what does it matter, anyway?

    @Wendoverman not up yet? Helluva lie-in.

    👍 👎 ( -2 )
  • Never really felt we were ever in the game but equally never felt we were out of it either. Not sure if Norwich had another gear but they always knew they'd create a chance at some point. We needed to convert the ones we made.
    Uche was quiet and well marshalled. Our other attacking options were blunted as a result.

    Good to see @aloysius continue his run of starting an argument on the last few match day threads. Mehmeti is an odd target but life is odd at the moment.

    When that historic 5 sub change was made at 1-0 down how much difference would a crowd have made. I miss it

  • Mehmeti obviously has a lot to learn, but what better place to learn then this division, with relatively little pressure due to our position?

    The experience he gains this season, could help him to step up to regular game changer next year if as expected we're in a lower tier.

    The rest of this season should be spent trying to bed in an effective system to hit the ground running next year. The recent teams look to have been to that effect, less sweeping changes.

  • edited February 28

    When is Mehmeti contracted to? Thought it was only til the end of this season but may well have missed an extension announcement. Need to keep hold of him either way.

  • We’ve had many games where 2,3 or even 4 players have been anonymous. I always hoped it was not down to commitment more down to other teams stifling them or a formation ‘excluding’ them. The last five games we have managed to be functioning in all positions - not always perfectly and not always effectively - but players like Fred seem to be a lot busier than before and we look all the better for it.
    Another day and and a bit more composure in front of goal we would of had a result today. It’s a shame it’s Watford on Wednesday and not a team around us.

  • New heights of tactical awareness observed.

    The amount of times that Beast came on as a super-sub in previous games and was left flicking it on to no-one...yet one of our best chances today was Uche flicking it on to Mehmeti, but then the latter had actually made the run to get it.

    Not a knock on AA by the way, if he's won his header he's done his job, and he must have been told to do that, but if you're going to play that option, people need to be on the end of it to pick it up. Surely this doesn't require a UEFA coaching badge?

  • ‘Thick as mince,’ is a lovey turn of phrase @drcongo

  • I've found it surprising Scott hasn't played recently. Early in the season he caused Champ defenders so many problems with his pace, and the long ball from the keeper always looked like a chance. On the lob, my instinct was he should have lobbed him first time but chested it first.

  • The five subs at once was a great call - an injection of pure energy when we needed it most.

    I am very excited by Mehmeti - I could see him either rising to iconic status and keeping us punching above our weight, or being sold for very good money at some point.

  • @Shev said:
    The five subs at once was a great call - an injection of pure energy when we needed it most.

    I am very excited by Mehmeti - I could see him either rising to iconic status and keeping us punching above our weight, or being sold for very good money at some point.

    I could only find a link saying he's signed to the summer, with an "option" to stay on. But to be honest I couldn't be certain it was referring to him, as it was on a google results tab I couldn't click into.

    If ever there was a signing to give one of our special 3 year deals to, he's it though.

  • @Malone said:

    @Shev said:
    The five subs at once was a great call - an injection of pure energy when we needed it most.

    I am very excited by Mehmeti - I could see him either rising to iconic status and keeping us punching above our weight, or being sold for very good money at some point.

    I could only find a link saying he's signed to the summer, with an "option" to stay on. But to be honest I couldn't be certain it was referring to him, as it was on a google results tab I couldn't click into.

    If ever there was a signing to give one of our special 3 year deals to, he's it though.

    I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been worrying about Mehmeti's contract for the last month or so. If it has been extended beyond June, wouldn't the club have announced this? Quite reasonably, Matt Cecil usually loves a good news story like that. On the other hand (looking on the pessimistic side) if the club know there is a possibility of him walking away for nothing in the summer, would GA be putting him in the shop window every week, and singing his praises in interviews?

  • I'm sure we'll have something sorted out.

    I'm not sure Mehmeti has done enough for the poachers to come in yet.
    As a championship club (maybe temporarily), any compensation would be hyped up as he's under the Bosman freebie age.

    Unless he goes abroad, but you'd think he'll have a smart enough head on to understand he has a superb stage to progress here.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @Malone said:

    Unless he goes abroad, but you'd think he'll have a smart enough head on to understand he has a superb stage to progress here.

    Yes, could depend on who represents him or who's giving him advice. A wise head would tell him to stay at least another year with us and develop as a player and a character with a superb, nurturing management team and playing squad.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Not so fun fact...Bristol City now have the worst xG in the Second Division in 11th place.

  • In the interests of fair balance given some of the comments above, I thought Scott Kashket was excellent when he came on and his effervescence helped us look more dangerous in the last 20 minutes than we did at any other stage in the game.

    Good to see him back on the pitch as he’s got plenty to offer this team.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Combination of family birthday, watching recorded game later so avoiding Gasroom as well as trying to avoid match threads @micra . Wide awake now so worry not.

  • Agree with most of what’s been said about today’s game. Decent performance against a very good team. Our fellow strugglers at the bottom aren’t in good form so this isn’t over yet. One ironic footnote for those opposition fans who accuse us of excessive gamesmanship...if Ofoborh had gone down as if poleaxed when Krul elbowed him in the face, we might have seen a penalty and a red card.

  • Radio, TV, Social Media, the Gasroom, phone calls - you name it - are a veritable minefield in those circumstances @Wendoverman. I’m not sure if you’ve watched it yet so no spoilers from me.

  • All watched. Good show. Result not a surprise but we are not dead yet.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Thumbs up to that. Bed now. Early appointment at Harefield.

    👍 👎 ( -2 )
  • @glasshalffull said:
    Agree with most of what’s been said about today’s game. Decent performance against a very good team. Our fellow strugglers at the bottom aren’t in good form so this isn’t over yet. One ironic footnote for those opposition fans who accuse us of excessive gamesmanship...if Ofoborh had gone down as if poleaxed when Krul elbowed him in the face, we might have seen a penalty and a red card.

    I for one am glad he didn't, would have been awful to see.

    Was embarrassing enough when Kashket did his little routine over by the touchline.

    If you want to see that from our players then fair enough

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • The Kashket incident was really embarrassing.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The Kashket incident was really embarrassing.

    So what was your opinion of the Krul elbow on our player? I could also mention the dive that led to Norwich’s winning goal in the reverse fixture.

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • @eric_plant said:

    @glasshalffull said:
    Agree with most of what’s been said about today’s game. Decent performance against a very good team. Our fellow strugglers at the bottom aren’t in good form so this isn’t over yet. One ironic footnote for those opposition fans who accuse us of excessive gamesmanship...if Ofoborh had gone down as if poleaxed when Krul elbowed him in the face, we might have seen a penalty and a red card.

    I for one am glad he didn't, would have been awful to see.

    Was embarrassing enough when Kashket did his little routine over by the touchline.

    If you want to see that from our players then fair enough

    Where did I say that I wanted to see that from our players? I said we are accused of that kind of gamesmanship when in reality all teams do it, even those ‘real football’ teams like Norwich (remember the reverse fixture at Carrow Road?).

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • That's the most disappointing thing this season, both the attractive footballing sides and the direct teams like ourselves resort to continual gamesmanship (cheating). The Job of refereeing is continually getting harder, as the players appear to be more accomplished at diving,feigning injury,inviting contact.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
Sign In or Register to comment.