Skip to content

Allsop or Stockdale

Comments

• Stockdale - no contest.

• @peterparrotface said:

@bookertease said:

@eric_plant said:
    We defend differently as a team with Allsop in goal to how we defend as a team with Stockdale in goal

Really? Some of our defending first half was amateurish. Which I don’t assume is your spin.

But agree with this being an unfair question. Allsop, for all his perceived flaws, has done well enough to keep his place deservedly.

GA has been quick to drop him in the past when his confidence has gone and there has been none of that this season.

Stockdale has come in, done quite well and similarly deserves to keep his place for the time being

So who you going with when both are available?

I think at the moment it’s far too early to say that Stockdale is (currently) better than Allsop (or vice versa) so I didn’t actually answer the survey.

But don’t drop Stockdale until/unless he starts to show signs that he isn’t doing a good job for the team.

• Allsop doesn't have a middle name. Can't be trusted.

• Stockdale a dark horse for player of the season if he keeps the clean sheets that keep us up

• @carrickblue said:
    ...........But no-one automatically walks back in. So many factors for GA to consider and I trust him to make best call for the team

Sorry to jump on the thread at a tangent. Interesting, who would have though Gape couldn’t get a sniff since coming back from injury.
    As it happens on the bench he is behind Thompson and maybe even a couple of others.

• @LX1 said:
    Allsop doesn't have a middle name. Can't be trusted.

What does the X stand for?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@LX1 said:
    Allsop doesn't have a middle name. Can't be trusted.

What does the X stand for?

Our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

• Thanks for your efforts saving me all this time, mate. It really is much appreciated.

Could you have a quick word with your dad and see if you can get him to fix it for me to win the Eurolottery jackpot this week. I could do with the cash. There's some loaves and fishes in it for you if that would help.

• Poor old Rocky. It’s not like he’s Parkin or Cheesewright is it?

• Allsopp and Stocko are both good keepers and at the moment it looks like the older fella will be getting the nod. If he keeps Norwich out, I won't even mind if they call him a general.

• @JohnBoy said:
    I’m not sure Stockdale has done anything Rocky wouldn’t have. It’s not like he’s coming off his line for everything. He’s making some excellent saves, but so does Rocky. And his kicking is awful. Seemed like every one went straight to the opposing keeper tonight. All that being said, I still voted Stockdale. Distribution aside, he’s done nothing wrong, and the shirt is his until he does.

Agree johnboy. Last two matches Stockdale has done no different to what Allsopp would have done in openplay.My only exception would be the penalty.Cant remember a penalty being missed against Rocky.Would say stockdale made the penalty taker put doubt in himself just like the Reading Gk did.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Poor old Rocky. It’s not like he’s Parkin or Cheesewright is it?

No, he isn't at all.

But a debate over who should play in goal is the sort of thing all fans discuss isn't it?

• I know Alan Parry doesn't approve of me highlighting it, but David Stockdale has so much charisma. You only have to watch him be interviewed by kids for Chairboys Live to see that. On the pitch that charisma turns into confidence and command of his box. And that means the defenders in front of him play with more calm and confidence as well (other than the occasional shoving players aside on the edge of the box). Yesterday was the closest we've come to being able to field our strongest 11 all season, with just JJ not available. Stockdale is a big piece in the jigsaw puzzle that we've been missing up till now this campaign and when we do our post mortems I do imagine one pertinent question will be how many more points we could have potentially gathered with him starting more often.

• It’s all very harsh on Allsopp this.

He’s made some truly outstanding stops this season, and I can’t remember many errors or howlers from him. In fact I’d have had him as a contender for player of the season before Christmas.

Ultimately though you can’t drop a guy who has kept two clean sheets and it’s up to Ryan to earn his place back when the time comes.

As a few have said, it’s nice to get some genuine competition for the goalie spot.

• I'm pleased Stockdale has finally got a chance, as on his "name" and experience, we had a real quality keeper in reserve.

But it's all a bit harsh to be sneering on Allsop bearing in mind he's had by all accounts a good season.

I think it's enough to say Stockdale has the shirt, and holds it unless there's reason to switch, without all the slightly over the top comments.

• I’ve seen a couple of interviews with Stockdale recently and just comes across as a really decent guy at ease with his lot. His ‘I owed Wycombe’ statement made me think even more highly of him. He seems a rare person and a fine talent that we should make the most of during his stay.

• I think Stockdale has the attributes to make a very good goalkeeping coach when the time comes to hang up his gloves.

• @Malone said:
    But it's all a bit harsh to be sneering on Allsop bearing in mind he's had by all accounts a good season.

I am thinking that your ‘by all accounts’ remark doesn’t match certain views on this forum.

Stockdale has done well in the last two games after Allsop had almost been pummelled into an injury during the Spurs and Brentford matches. I am happy with either keeper

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

I am thinking that your ‘by all accounts’ remark doesn’t match certain views on this forum.

Stockdale has done well in the last two games after Allsop had almost been pummelled into an injury during the Spurs and Brentford matches. I am happy with either keeper

Yes, that's fair, ease my "all accounts" down to "most" then.

He's certainly had a better season than last year, but sometimes that's the way it works when teams are suddenly conceding loads more chances.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    It’s all very harsh on Allsopp this.

He’s made some truly outstanding stops this season, and I can’t remember many errors or howlers from him. In fact I’d have had him as a contender for player of the season before Christmas.

Ultimately though you can’t drop a guy who has kept two clean sheets and it’s up to Ryan to earn his place back when the time comes.

As a few have said, it’s nice to get some genuine competition for the goalie spot.

Allsop has been a great shout for player of the season so far. It’s fantastic that we have two talents pushing each other and competing. It’s no disrespect to Rocky but I’m a fair believer that if you have the shirt it’s yours to lose and Stockdale is not going to want to lose it.

• That reminds of when I was a young lad and a new starter at one of Wycombe's many furniture factories. At the time I was playing in goal for a local junior side. The furniture firm had a works team that played friendly fixtures, and on finding out i played in goal, the other furniture workers were apparently ribbing the usual glovesman (not the brightest chap in the world) that he was gonna lose his place in between the sticks.
    The next day at work, whilst i was stood at the coffee machine, this portly chap had come to work in a green umbro keepers shirt with number 1 on his back, and was hurtling towards me.
    "Oi mate, if you want this shirt, you are gonna have to take it off my back"
    I wondered off with my coffee, thinking there are some very strange chaps that appear to work in the furniture industry. After working a number of years there, I can confirm there are a high percentage of complete loons that worked in that industry.

• Stockdale 100%!

• I’m no mathematician but I think the current percentages equate to 50 votes for Socko and 9 for Rocky. That does seem surprising, bearing in mind what a good season Rocky was having but (on the admittedly slender evidence of two games) I have felt that we were less likely than previously to concede sloppy goals.

I have not heard any interviews with David Stockdale but I have heard what a down-to-earth, modest and generous person he is (in both spirit and deed). Comparisons with that other fine (slightly older) goalkeeper, Ben Foster, come readily to mind.

• I think they are both excellent keepers. Rocky a bit shaky in the air for a big man but very good on the deck. He’s more raucous than Stocko - berates the defence and shouts ‘squeeze’ about 200 times per half.
    Stocko is more encouraging in his communication with the back 4. I thought he looked well off the pace during his early career with us but acknowledges that in the Harman book I think? Not sure what he’s like in the air. I don’t think he has massive presence - but positioning and handling looks v good.

• As everyone appears to be voicing a view, here is mine.
    Rocky has had a great season (plenty of practice) some worldie saves for sure.
    Despite this he just doesn’t inspire confidence in fans and possibly his defence. Is it because he is happiest on his line (not coming for crosses and rash rushes giving away penalties [which he never gets near saving] seems to be repeated issues)?
    Whilst Rocky seems introverted in his manner Stocko is the polar opposite commanding the box and right now that ‘big man’ between the sticks looks like it is doing a job, so, for me, he keeps his selection.

• This is all just a question on ceilings, isn't it? Or, what in younger players we're more likely to describe as potential.

Rocky has been playing very well this season, perhaps even at the very top of his game. He's made some saves that he might not have done when his confidence has been a bit lower, and I actually think he's done a much better job than in the past at judging the ball over the top than in previous seasons. I just think that Stockdale has a much higher ceiling, and therefore the potential to be a much better goalkeeper. At the top of his game, he's going to be able to do things that Rocky isn't. That's no slight on Allsop, just the reality of where they both are.

• @Glenny absolutely agree

• He’s not done himself any harm in this thread with that save

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    He’s not done himself any harm in this thread with that save

And then undone it.

• He done ‘imself a bit a harm there.