Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:
    Just went back through a replay of the Taff Incident™, it was offside and the offence was outside the area. Justice was served, though Taff wouldn't now be suspended if the lino had flagged the offside.

That's got to be worth an appeal then.

Cant see that happening. You’re essentially appealing an incorrect offside decision, which will never, and should never, be overturned.

• @micra said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub : was it on Sky?

Red button. It’s about 3 minutes behind live coverage. So I was still celebrating the penalty when the ‘fcuk it messages lit up my phone’

• Uche is the new Aspria. He seems to control the ball when you think it is running away from him. A great signing and a valuable asset to the club.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:
    Just went back through a replay of the Taff Incident™, it was offside and the offence was outside the area. Justice was served, though Taff wouldn't now be suspended if the lino had flagged the offside.

That's got to be worth an appeal then.

If the ref/Lino decided it was onside (I think it was offside but that may be blue tinted glasses) then sending off for denying a goal scoring opportunity was correct. Doesn’t matter if the offence was inside or outside the area. Not sure you can appeal based on if it should have be called offside but will be pleased if you can

• @drcongo said:

Dev will be pushing the VAR case again!

• Excellent result. Managed the game perfectly with 10 men, with Stockdale having surprisingly little to do. He needs to stay in goal.

• Offside:

Outside:

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I think neither penalty was "nailed on" but overall though the ref & linos had a decent game.

On a different note if we can maintain the form of the last 4 games and more importantly the points return we could potentially get 26 or so points from our remaining 15 games which would be there or there abouts to avoid relegation

Readings penalty was the most clear cut, you will see all season.

• Anyway, agreed that Stewart was man of the match. Up there with his best ever performances.

• @ChasHarps said:

@Erroll_Sims said:
    I think neither penalty was "nailed on" but overall though the ref & linos had a decent game.

On a different note if we can maintain the form of the last 4 games and more importantly the points return we could potentially get 26 or so points from our remaining 15 games which would be there or there abouts to avoid relegation

Except it wasn't a penalty. It was a foul and a free kick.
    It was outside the box.
    Lino should have been helping the ref there.

• The offside is marginal. Obita might just be plating the attacker inside. In your pic the ball seems to just have been played. What are the relative “offside” positions in one or two frames earlier. It’s definitely not a clear and obvious error like the Horgan offside the other day.

And the sending off doesn’t depend on being inside or outside the penalty area

• @ChasHarps said:

@Erroll_Sims said:

Impeccable comedy timing.

• The push was definitely outside the box. Yes it was stopping a clear goal scoring chance and thus a red card but it was not a penalty.

• I’m getting too old for this. Unbearably tense. How different would that have been if they had scored from the penalty and we’d had yet another hard luck tale to tell.

As it is we can revel in a great team performance another clean sheet and 3 points against what looked, in parts, to be a pretty good Reading team.

Stewart was superb again tonight.

Hard to believe it was only two weeks ago we lost comfortably to a relatively poor Sheff Wed side and it looked like the season was just going to fade away.

• @drcongo said:
    Offside:

Outside:

Westside

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@drcongo said:
    Offside:

Outside:

Westside

Brilliant ??

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    If we keep playing like we have the last few games I still believe that we can do it and pull off the great escape

Somehow if we can win half the remaining games , we have a chance.

• Dear Guinness Book of Records, the Steel Dragon 2000 in Japan isn't the longest roller coaster in the world. Wycombe Wanderers 1993-2021 should be given the record.

• Seven points from the last four, that’s 1.75 points a game. Keep it up over the last fifteen games and we end up between 49 and 50 points.

• I've only just noticed (haven't really been paying attention because they're not really relevant to us anymore) that Col U seem to be sliding back towards the conference

Absolutely lovely scenes

• If it helps remember the points gap is more of a problem at the top where good teams are winning every week. Down the bottom the teams around us aren't and a few wins can make a huge difference. So good to even be asking the question though and seeing us giving it a real go.
    Sure Rob Couhig must be lamenting that letter that "made everything infinitely worse"

• @eric_plant said:
    I've only just noticed (haven't really been paying attention because they're not really relevant to us anymore) that Col U seem to be sliding back towards the conference

Absolutely lovely scenes

Random League Two hats off to Morecambe who are fourth with a goal difference of zero

• @eric_plant is right Taff knew their player would miss and therefore ten men would easily secure the win. Any posters who doubted that before the final whistle need to have a word with themselves!?

• A big forward who actually gets penalty and free kicks decisions? Amazing. Penalty was nailed on for me though offside or not. What a great last 20 minutes defensively though. Stockdale made a fantastic case for himself tonight for sure but at least we have two decent keepers.

• Agree Stewart was man of the match. A real captain's performance.

• Excellent scenes, but something of a surprise that Reading appear to actually have fans

• I’m off to the Reading forum for a bit of We always struggle against... , Wycombes tactics...Physical sides etc etc before I turn in

• edited February 2021

Garath Mc has had a bit of back and forth with one or two Reading fans tonight. Definitely some bitter fans on Twitter.