Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allsop or Stockdale

edited February 23 in Football

Does Allsop automatically come back when fit?

  1. Allsop or Stockdale68 votes
    1. Allsop
      14.71%
    2. Stockdale
      85.29%
«13456

Comments

  • Once you’ve got the shirt in goal I think the normal approach is that it’s yours to lose. Stockdale did everything right tonight, including standing up tall on the pen instead of going down and making up the striker’s mind. So, although it is harsh on Rocky, I think Stockdale keeps it until such time as his performances dip.

    👍 👎 ( 4 )
  • Bit mean this poll, Rocky's done well with less defensive organisation in front of him, but Stockdale is the man in place and in form so I'd stay with him.
    Stockdale didn't look match fit at all in pre season or when called upon last time, a fully fit him is a very accomplished player.
    Good problem to have.

  • 2-1 to the Stocko boys, 2-1 to the Stocko boys.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • Stockdale always was and is a far superior keeper to Allsopp.

    👍 👎 ( 3 )
  • It's not even close for me

  • Sending stocko out on loan to get some proper game time and get his confidence back is the game changer I feel.
    For me rocky has done very well this season, but you can't argue with Stockdale's pedigree and recent performances. I'd keep him in goal. His place to lose now.

  • All down to GA choice.

    Rocky has done well all season, Stockdale has had two great games. But no-one automatically walks back in. So many factors for GA to consider and I trust him to make best call for the team

  • Its if you believe Allsopp was injured at all !!

    👍 👎 ( -2 )
  • It'll be Stockdale for the moment surely. You don't change your keeper after 2 clean sheets. He was bought in to challenge for the no.1 spot and he's staking his claim.

  • Stockdale all day long. I think he should have been between the sticks a lot earlier.

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • Now he's match fit, Stockdale is clearly the better keeper. Commands his area and gives the back 4 confidence.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Poor old rocky must be sat there like.... Ffs! 🤣

  • I’m not sure Stockdale has done anything Rocky wouldn’t have. It’s not like he’s coming off his line for everything. He’s making some excellent saves, but so does Rocky. And his kicking is awful. Seemed like every one went straight to the opposing keeper tonight. All that being said, I still voted Stockdale. Distribution aside, he’s done nothing wrong, and the shirt is his until he does.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @Alexo said:
    Poor old rocky must be sat there like.... Ffs! 🤣

    ....he's rooted to his line!

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • Voted Stockdale but I really hope Rocky never comes on the Gasroom. I would have him as in 2nd or 3rd place for player of the season - it just so happens Stockdale has looked better. Rocky has made some absurd saves this season, but as always, it is the command and coming off the line thingy.

  • We defend differently as a team with Allsop in goal to how we defend as a team with Stockdale in goal

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • Allsop has been excellent this season. But Stockdale, now he is fitter and match sharp again, is just a better goalkeeper. Hopefully he can keep his level up as he’d be an excellent long term keeper for us.

  • Both our players so either will do for me. Stockdale did very well tonight but still a bit of a harsh survey after two games I think.

  • Until Stockdale drops a clanger, he should keep his place.

    Besides, you can’t drop a keeper who’s learned the importance of a timely attack of mystery cramp so well.

  • edited February 23

    I actually agree that it's harsh. Stockdale has been picked for England squads and had played in the premier league.

    It's an unfair comparison.

    The real question is why has a keeper with such pedigree been left out of the team for so long? My guess is we will never know

  • When Stockdale first came to us he looked to be packing a bit of excess weight. He seems to have lost that and now and looks fighting fit.

  • At least Stockdale has clearly been to the Allsop school of mystery injuries and learnt well!

  • @eric_plant said:
    I actually agree that it's harsh. Stockdale has been picked for England squads and had played in the premier league.

    It's an unfair comparison.

    The real question is why has a keeper with such pedigree been left out of the team for so long? My guess is we will never know

    One reason might be that he let in a gentle back pass through his legs in a preseason friendly.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • Eric makes a convincing argument for signing Peter Shilton - a player with greater pedigree than either of them.
    Either that or the decision now is between the players as they perform now and not how they used to perform many years ago in their prime.
    Finely balanced for me.

    👍 👎 ( -3 )
  • Yeah, exactly the same

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • @eric_plant I don't think there's any mystery behind it. Stockdale had the chance to claim the no.1 spot last year, but made a couple of mistakes. Since then Allsop has played well and therefore Stockdale's not had a look in. He now has his chance again and so far has absolutely taken it. It tend to agree Stockdale has the all the attributes of a top keeper, but as with any player he has to keep proving it.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Stockdale for me too.

    I genuinely think if he gets consistently near his top form it could give us a real shot at staying up. Really worked out well for us that his brief loan spell at Stevenage was so successful.

    Would be very harsh on Rocky though, and will be interested to see which way Ainsworth goes.

  • @eric_plant said:
    We defend differently as a team with Allsop in goal to how we defend as a team with Stockdale in goal

    Really? Some of our defending first half was amateurish. Which I don’t assume is your spin.

    But agree with this being an unfair question. Allsop, for all his perceived flaws, has done well enough to keep his place deservedly.

    GA has been quick to drop him in the past when his confidence has gone and there has been none of that this season.

    Stockdale has come in, done quite well and similarly deserves to keep his place for the time being

  • @bookertease said:

    @eric_plant said:
    We defend differently as a team with Allsop in goal to how we defend as a team with Stockdale in goal

    Really? Some of our defending first half was amateurish. Which I don’t assume is your spin.

    But agree with this being an unfair question. Allsop, for all his perceived flaws, has done well enough to keep his place deservedly.

    GA has been quick to drop him in the past when his confidence has gone and there has been none of that this season.

    Stockdale has come in, done quite well and similarly deserves to keep his place for the time being

    So who you going with when both are available?

  • @Wycombe85 said:
    @eric_plant I don't think there's any mystery behind it. Stockdale had the chance to claim the no.1 spot last year, but made a couple of mistakes. Since then Allsop has played well and therefore Stockdale's not had a look in. He now has his chance again and so far has absolutely taken it. It tend to agree Stockdale has the all the attributes of a top keeper, but as with any player he has to keep proving it.

    I agree with this and despair a little at the need to give one of our players, who has done pretty well for us, and may be needed again next week if injury or loss of form dictated, a kicking for no reason other than so people can say they were right. If Stockdale drops one in his own net does that make them wrong again?

Sign In or Register to comment.