Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• 7 points from 4 games. Can’t complain at that. Interesting to note we seem to be missing the more Statler & Waldorf posters this evening.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Sky don’t do replays. Was the sending off onside or not?

I think it was offside, but very close and not the greatest camera angle to say 100%.

• Two clean sheets, no argument, Stocko has to stay in, it's his to lose now

• Funny game, football, eh. I’d say Reading were the best side we’ve played since Brentford, by quite a margin. They seemed to go completely off the boil after the red card - not sure they had a meaningful shot after that, did they?

By the by, thought the ref had a decent game though very grateful for those late free kicks we got from him which really helped control the tempo.

• @Shev said:
    So...who should be taking pens? I am not convinced by Obita, and I would go Mehmeti if he is on the pitch. Maybe even Wheeler.

Knight. Fred if he was still on on the pitch.

• Great result. Great team spirit.

• Pretty sure if Taff hadn’t taken his man out Stocko would have collected it quite easily.

• A massive win for us, and I finally have the bragging rights over my biscuit afficionado neighbours!

For once we had the rub of the green at important moments (our penalty wasn't one IMHO) though we also put in an excellent shift to deservedly close the game out. Reading won't look back at that and think they were robbed by anything other than their own shortcomings. Three massive points, and for once most of the teams around us lost when we won.

• Great win and another excellent showing from Stockdale.

• Well that was the most enjoyable match this season, I'd say. We played with real positional discipline, a true David vs Goliath battle after going one down, great use of subs and just the right amount of tension to keep us all on the edge of the sofa.

Rocky has been a decent keeper this season but I'm wondering how many more points we'd be on now if we'd played Stockdale from the start. It's not just his command of the box and positional awareness I like, he's better at picking the long ball. He might have even helped Bayo be more effective when he was starting.

• I know that was a dreadful pen by Uche, but how many is that he's earnt now? They're mounting up.

Was it Matt Cecil the other week who rightly pointed out Uche wins a heck of a lot more free kicks than Bayo does.

• It looked like a rugby tackle on Uche for the penalty.

• @micra said:
    was it on Sky?

One of their “bonus streams”

• Great result. Brilliant to see us playing with confidence again.

Uche clearly unhappy not to have put the game to bed but he did a great job up top again holding up play and winning fouls.

Referee was quite generous for us I think. The ball wasn’t in play much in the last 20 mins, plus stoppage, and we got some soft free kicks at the end to take the pressure off.

Shame we are so far adrift at the bottom. The way we’ve played the last 4 games you’d be feeling confident about our chances had we still been in the pack.

• Gotta love a win over Reading. Don't do easy though do we. Any chance of appealing the red if there's an angle that shows it was offside?

• @carrickblue said:

@micra said:
    was it on Sky?

One of their “bonus streams”

Channel number?

• If we keep playing like we have the last few games I still believe that we can do it and pull off the great escape

• @micra said:

Channel number?

On NowTV scroll to bottom of the page and you find them there. But as has been said no replays, commentary not great and in my view picture quality not great. I paid for the ifollow as I prefer it even though I have a NowTV subscription.

• Brilliant backs to the wall performance

• And TACRITE IS BWK

They All Come Round In The End

• How good was Anthony Stewart again?

What a player

• Thanks @carrickblue. I’m about to phone an old Blues fan with nearly 80 years of watching in virtual silence and just going “Ooh” at frequent intervals. Wanted to be sure he hasn’t missed out on a red button opportunity.

• Just went back through a replay of the Taff Incident™, it was offside and the offence was outside the area. Justice was served, though Taff wouldn't now be suspended if the lino had flagged the offside.

• That was a proper old fashioned, ugly Wycombe win! Not had one of those for a while.

A superb defensive performance though. Stewart MotM for me, really at his best tonight. Stockdale very solid, but had surprisingly little to do in that 2nd half. 2 good saved in the 1st half though.

• @drcongo said:
    Just went back through a replay of the Taff Incident™, it was offside and the offence was outside the area. Justice was served, though Taff wouldn't now be suspended if the lino had flagged the offside.

That's got to be worth an appeal then.

• Fred’s goal like Westy in his prime. Great subs from Gareth tonight.

• I think neither penalty was "nailed on" but overall though the ref & linos had a decent game.

On a different note if we can maintain the form of the last 4 games and more importantly the points return we could potentially get 26 or so points from our remaining 15 games which would be there or there abouts to avoid relegation

• @StrongestTeam said:

@drcongo said:
    Just went back through a replay of the Taff Incident™, it was offside and the offence was outside the area. Justice was served, though Taff wouldn't now be suspended if the lino had flagged the offside.

That's got to be worth an appeal then.

Doubt there's ever been an appeal won on being offside.
    If it hadn't been a foul yes. But no chance on a lino flag.

However we can reunite the effective Stewart Knight partnership for the first time in a fair while.