Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• @Platform_3 said:
    I've always felt that a club's shirts signify blandness or otherwise. Round this way, Villa, Wolves and the Baggies all have interesting strips. Birmingham don't. It just makes them duller.

Yes, if you are blue-white-blue or red-white-red, it is very difficult to be interesting. I have no idea why Birmingham don't always have a variation of the penguin kit, as that is so popular with their fans, but rarely used.

Ideally, you want to have a kit people would recognize instantly even without sponsors and badge. We have that in spades.

• Rather enjoyed Stocko being interviewed by kids on Chairboys Live. Worth watching after the match if you missed it.

• @Shev said:
    @Wendoverman - it is strange how those kind of neutral, forgettable clubs exist in a sport so full of passion. For me, a very forgettable club has always been Walsall. I can't think of anything noteworthy - no cup upsets, playoff wins, or anything.

No cup upsets? January 1933 FA Cup, Walsall 2 Arsenal 0. One of the biggest, if not the biggest, cup upsets of all time.

• Incredible. BBC stats have possession 55 to 45 in favour of Reading!

• @Cyclops said:

@Shev said:
    @Wendoverman - it is strange how those kind of neutral, forgettable clubs exist in a sport so full of passion. For me, a very forgettable club has always been Walsall. I can't think of anything noteworthy - no cup upsets, playoff wins, or anything.

No cup upsets? January 1933 FA Cup, Walsall 2 Arsenal 0. One of the biggest, if not the biggest, cup upsets of all time.

I think I worked that day, so it did not stick in the mind...

• Outstanding save from Stockdale

• Great save from Stocko there, after we had switched off at the back.

• Great save Stockdale. Made himself big there.

• We need to stop this long goal kicks up front, Its just coming back. Uche is not getting on anything

• Can’t get Mehmeti and Uche into the game yet.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Can’t get Mehmeti and Uche into the game yet.

Both seem to be getting kicked as soon as they get hold of the ball.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Great save Stockdale. Made himself big there.

x2 now

• Obita must take amazing free kicks in training.

• That second save… as good as Rocky has been, he will have a job winning back his place if Stocko keeps performing at this level.

• @TheatreOfChairs said:
    Obita must take amazing free kicks in training.

Haha, was thinking the same thing myself

• Knight needs subbing. He is not on it tonight.

• Pattison was sent off for a challenge like that by Knight.

• @micra said:
    Pattison was sent off for a challenge like that by Knight.

Pattison took a lot more of a mad sprinting lunge to his one.

• @micra said:
    Pattison was sent off for a challenge like that by Knight.

Pattison's was comfortably worse

• edited February 2021

Not a bad half just struggling to create. I don't think Uche and Mehmeti are the problem though. Feel we need a bit more out wide from Fred and McCleary. Can see Horgan on for one of them fairly soon. Probably for the latter now he is in the book. I reckon Gape or Thompson for Wheeler at some point too.

• Dreadful from McCleary there.

• Just need to go up a gear and I think we can nick one here. Reading look dangerous every time they get the ball into the box.

• Strange game, playing it a lot on the floor which is unlike us.

But not particularly looking like doing anything with it.

Another game where you could easily see a triple sub at half time.

• Funny old first half that. We were magnificent for 15 minutes and then poor for 30. Stockdale has been excellent though, and Taff needs to stop passing ever.

• McCleary looks a bit of a show pony tonight. Obviously not Wycombeised yet.

• Got a bad vibe here, giving away too many free kicks

• Not sure if it’s not Uche’s game or if the team are not doing him justice. Might be time for a brave 50 minute sun and save him a little.

• Yes @HolmerBlue, was thinking the same myself.

• edited February 2021

What a really good side Reading look to be tonight. Strong and quick at the back, skilful on the ball and really sharp in their passing and movement. Really enjoyed that first half as a game of proper football. We look very second best to me but giving it a good go - a lot of the fouls seem to be as a result of us being at full stretch just to compete. Much more impressed with Reading than disappointed with us.

• Olise is a class act in midfield. Showing Anis how it’s done. Hopefully they can get back on it second half ... need to get it to Fred more - he looks most likely to break through. Liam Moore doing a great job on Uche.