Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• A very old club

• A lovely quartered tribute to their old Berks & Bucks cup rivals.

• Not a fan of that badge at all. Why is there a lion on it? Are they native to Berkshire? I guess the crown that they've nicked from the gov.uk website is supposed to be something to do with them being nicknamed the royals. Why is there some weird snippets of their kit in there? Imagine if we replaced our badge with one containing four quarters, two of which contained four quarters and the other two a picture of a chair and a picture of a giraffe.

2/10

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2021

Reading have never had an iconic badge, changing it a few times. The lion represents the ‘Forbury Lion’, a statue in the Forbury Gardens in Reading.

Edit..google maps tells me it's the 'Maiwand Lion' in Forbury Gardens.

• The lion on the Reading badge is a reference to the historic Maiwand lion statue in Forbury Gardens in the town.

Looking forward to seeing the historic Giraffe statue in Wycombe next time I visit

• They need to embrace their inner biscuit.

• I like the traditional laced heavy leather football in the middle...

• With a bit of imagination it looks like a jammy dodger, which may be a deliberate nod to their proper nickname.

• I thought it was a Pukka Pie. Horrible font too.

• edited February 2021

This mob wasn't it?

https://www.huntleyandpalmers.com/

@our_frank had you down as a Peek Freans man?

• Presumably Reading Football Club was where the chant 'Is this a library?' originated.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I thought it was a Pukka Pie. Horrible font too.

Why would a Norwich player be on Reading's badge?

• Pukki and Lucas João (32 goals between them) to face (assuming fit) over the next six days. Quite a challenge.

• @drcongo said:
    Not a fan of that badge at all. Why is there a lion on it? Are they native to Berkshire? I guess the crown that they've nicked from the gov.uk website is supposed to be something to do with them being nicknamed the royals. Why is there some weird snippets of their kit in there? Imagine if we replaced our badge with one containing four quarters, two of which contained four quarters and the other two a picture of a chair and a picture of a giraffe.

2/10

Nah, it should be stripes containing quarters with chairs and hippos inbetween.

• COME ON WYCOMBE!!!!!!

• Considering how much is going on, it is a boring badge for a boring club.

Is there a league club more bland than Reading? I can't think of one.

• @Shev said:
    Considering how much is going on, it is a boring badge for a boring club.

I know what you mean @Shev I must admit I always think of them like I do Brighton...I know they exist and they have done relatively well...but they never really register that much.

• @Wendoverman - it is strange how those kind of neutral, forgettable clubs exist in a sport so full of passion. For me, a very forgettable club has always been Walsall. I can't think of anything noteworthy - no cup upsets, playoff wins, or anything.

• @Shev said:
    Considering how much is going on, it is a boring badge for a boring club.

Watford. Definately Watford.

Reading have Robin Friday in their history so can never be as bland as Watford

• That's an interesting take @Right_in_the_Middle. I grew up in the John Barnes era, when they had Elton John as an owner, made the cup final and came second in the league (I think), so they always came across as plucky overachievers. Also, my first live games were Watford v Luton and then Watford v Barnsley as an 8 year old, so they have never really seemed that bland to me.

• Nah..Watford bright colours, Barnes, 1970s heyday I can remember being vaguely interested...Robin Friday is a good call...but still...

• Watford are much more interesting than Peterborough or Rotherham for example.

• @peterparrotface said:
    This mob wasn't it?

https://www.huntleyandpalmers.com/

@our_frank had you down as a Peek Freans man?

You’re both correct. H&P bought PF (Ice Gems) as well as Crawfords (Cornish Wafer) and Jacobs (Cream Crackers). Forget ‘Royals’ they are ‘The Biscuit Men’.

• Hull and Northampton fall into the bland category for me too.

• edited February 2021

I can imagine Reading fans right now on their forum, thinking that we are working ourselves up into a pre-match frenzy on our matchday thread, only to find out that playing them has inspired a conversation about the most bland football clubs.

• Erm...as biscuits and boredom subside...and I return to my matchday thread radio silence here's to an exciting game tonight and the start (again) of our Great escape. COYB!

• Local derby, big game build up fever.
    Can't beat it.

• I've never really understood why the Reading forum is called hobnob when they were invented by McVities in Scotland.

• I've always felt that a club's shirts signify blandness or otherwise. Round this way, Villa, Wolves and the Baggies all have interesting strips. Birmingham don't. It just makes them duller.

• @peterparrotface No strong feelings on the subject, but I'd probably lean towards McVities/United Biscuits, as the nice car park guy at their Hillbottom Road site let me park there when I was running late for a couple of big evening games back in the day.

I realise how disappointingly bland that is.