Skip to content

Taking the knee

How does this work now, is it at the home club’s discretion whether to do it or not, and the away club can join in if they wish?

I believe that Millwall’s preference is now for a “show of solidarity”, which is of course totally different.

https://google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/55223935

Comments

• I noticed one of the Derby players, was it Kazim-Richards ? Didnt do it the other night either

• This thread went so well last time...let's start it up again! ?

• For me taking the knee is not about the BLM but showing solidarity with all players who suffer abuse at the hands/fingers of those who feel they can throw vile hatred out based on a perceived difference/superiority - skin colour the most obvious, but religion and sexuality too.

In non Covid times a linking of arms might be better but that can’t be at the moment, and would in any case not be possible after taking positions for the start of the match.

So taking the knee is a simple symbol of all players united in anti discrimination efforts.

• @carrickblue said:
    In non Covid times a linking of arms might be better but that can’t be at the moment, and would in any case not be possible after taking positions for the start of the match.

Surely the answer would be to make the gesture, whatever choice that may be, a few seconds earlier then the referee can start the match when both sides are set?

• Yes, but in these times without supporters if it is to be seen then it needs to be more or less at kick off so the cameras are focussed on centre doing 30 seconds before the start - enough time for all to get from centre circle to their respective positions - means more chance of tv not capturing it properly.

• How difficult it is to point a camera? There's only one judging by watching the match. Unless I've missed your point entirely. Besides I've paid to watch a football match everything else is a side show and if it's missed by thousands because it's 15 seconds earlier, then that audience isn't that bothered either surely?

• So out of interest what did happen at the start because I missed KO ?

• Millwall team remained standing with the exception of 1 I think. WWFC & the referee took the knee.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    How difficult it is to point a camera? There's only one judging by watching the match. Unless I've missed your point entirely. Besides I've paid to watch a football match everything else is a side show and if it's missed by thousands because it's 15 seconds earlier, then that audience isn't that bothered either surely?

There may only be a single camera at many games at the moment. However the gesture is throughout the leagues and so seen by millions watching the “higher” leagues. Potentially missing the chance to visually say, along with audio from commentators, we support equality should be avoided. Just standing or raising an arm is not as visual as something like taking the knee.

If you’ve any ideas for a simple visual that doesn’t look like a power salute or just a few seconds of standing around with head lowered be great to hear them.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Millwall team remained standing with the exception of 1 I think. WWFC & the referee took the knee.

Bournemouth have now joined Brentford in not taking the knee.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    How difficult it is to point a camera? There's only one judging by watching the match. Unless I've missed your point entirely. Besides I've paid to watch a football match everything else is a side show and if it's missed by thousands because it's 15 seconds earlier, then that audience isn't that bothered either surely?

You just know if it was before kickoff Sky would be showing adverts for betting.

• @drcongo said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

You just know if it was before kickoff Sky would be showing adverts for betting.

True

• A variety of players have started not to take the knee now, not because of it being contentious or linked to other causes, but because they see it as a performance piece that isn't backed up by real actions and somehow gives the impression that things are changing when they aren't. Doesn't change the stance really, happy to support those who want to do it. Still need to see more concrete action from the likes of FIFA, the FA and the social media companies.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    A variety of players have started not to take the knee now, not because of it being contentious or linked to other causes, but because they see it as a performance piece that isn't backed up by real actions and somehow gives the impression that things are changing when they aren't. Doesn't change the stance really, happy to support those who want to do it. Still need to see more concrete action from the likes of FIFA, the FA and the social media companies.

Although it should be noted that some players, Lyle Taylor the most notable, have raised concerns about links to other causes and the specific political organisation called Black Lives Matter, as opposed to the sentiment that black lives do indeed matter.

• @therabbittest said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    A variety of players have started not to take the knee now, not because of it being contentious or linked to other causes, but because they see it as a performance piece that isn't backed up by real actions and somehow gives the impression that things are changing when they aren't. Doesn't change the stance really, happy to support those who want to do it. Still need to see more concrete action from the likes of FIFA, the FA and the social media companies.

Although it should be noted that some players, Lyle Taylor the most notable, have raised concerns about links to other causes and the specific political organisation called Black Lives Matter, as opposed to the sentiment that black lives do indeed matter.

I saw that, too. I thought he expressed himself well.

• Indeed, Taylor expressed himself so well that it’s been said he’d make a great politician by checks notes Nigel Farage.

I’m sure Lyle will be delighted, that’s quite in keeping with other views he’s espoused about politics.