Skip to content

Match day thread: Millwall

Comments

• @peterparrotface said:
    I think this is a bit unfair and mean spirited on someone I believe was commentating for the first time. He gave it a good go and seems a nice bloke

Mean spirited is the norm on an internet forum @peterparrotface

• Taffs MOTM for me.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@peterparrotface said:
    I think this is a bit unfair and mean spirited on someone I believe was commentating for the first time. He gave it a good go and seems a nice bloke

Mean spirited is the norm on an internet forum @peterparrotface

Nah, I wouldn’t say it is on here. Also what a dire spectacle to have to commentate on!

• I think Matt has developed into being a very good commentator and Dan was much better in the second half presumably after a few more tips from Matt, overall it was a very decent commentary but definitely miss @bluntphil

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Have to add my applause to the referee as well. Thought he had an excellent game. Kept his cards in his pocket & on the whole remained anonymous, which is how a good referee should be. The two yellows that he awarded were spot on.

I thought Mehmeti very lucky not to have made contact for the foul he got his yellow for - would have been difficult to argue against a red if he had.

• The one decision I thought the ref got wrong was very early on when Uche did an impressive turn and completely took out a Millwall player coming in for the tackle, and we got the free kick. Otherwise an excellent game.

Agree with others that Taff was probably MoM, even his passing wasn’t too bad. However Knight was pretty damn great again too.

• @peterparrotface said:

@aloysius said:
    Dull match but the only thing annoying me is the kid on commentary duty. He loves the sound of his voice far too much and needs to learn to stick to summarising rather than part-interviewing, past wrestling the main commentary off Matt (and for goodness sake get the sound levels between the two of them equal).

I think my criticism was constructive and hopefully was taken on board during half time, certainly (as I and indeed many others have already said here), his second half commentary was vastly improved.

As a sidenote, while I think it's totally fair to accept a degree of amateurism to the commentary given the constraints in a pandemic, we are paying £10 for 90 minutes of entertainment and that includes the commentary. I could easily spend that £10 livestreaming a play from one of our leading theatre companies, who all put on work with outstanding professionalism and would not get many repeat customers if they didn't (and also need the money more than a Championship football team). To a certain extent football supporters are a captive market, but that doesn't mean the clubs should treat the matchday commentary as an afterthought. Phil Catchpole provides a very high standard of work, Matt Cecil is fast becoming very good as well, Alan Parry is clearly excellent. The club has done us proud this season but when standards slip I don't think it inappropriate to point that out.

• You sound like fun

• Thanks babe

• As a sidenote, while I think it's totally fair to accept a degree of amateurism to the commentary given the constraints in a pandemic, we are paying £10 for 90 minutes of entertainment and that includes the commentary. I could easily spend that £10 livestreaming a play from one of our leading theatre companies, who all put on work with outstanding professionalism and would not get many repeat customers if they didn't (and also need the money more than a Championship football team). To a certain extent football supporters are a captive market, but that doesn't mean the clubs should treat the matchday commentary as an afterthought. Phil Catchpole provides a very high standard of work, Matt Cecil is fast becoming very good as well, Alan Parry is clearly excellent. The club has done us proud this season but when standards slip I don't think it inappropriate to point that out.

It's nowhere near as annoying as not being able to watch the game because the camera is showing a close up of a player, or a manager, or showing a replay. That's the thing that drives me potty - I've paid a tenner to watch the actual bloody football.

• @eric_plant said:
    You sound like fun

Well put @eric_plant. Aloysius does sound a right pompous tw@t. The believe that his half-time advice was listened to and followed... Unreal.. So, It's true what they say. "Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticise"

• 90 mins of entertainment?

Chuckled at that one!

• @Malone said:
    90 mins of entertainment?

Chuckled at that one!

98 minutes actually!

• I told my wife I could briefly describe the highlights for her, and then imitated the referee whistling for the match to begin and end.

• I find getting my cards out spices things up a bit

• @Glenny said:

As a sidenote, while I think it's totally fair to accept a degree of amateurism to the commentary given the constraints in a pandemic, we are paying £10 for 90 minutes of entertainment and that includes the commentary. I could easily spend that £10 livestreaming a play from one of our leading theatre companies, who all put on work with outstanding professionalism and would not get many repeat customers if they didn't (and also need the money more than a Championship football team). To a certain extent football supporters are a captive market, but that doesn't mean the clubs should treat the matchday commentary as an afterthought. Phil Catchpole provides a very high standard of work, Matt Cecil is fast becoming very good as well, Alan Parry is clearly excellent. The club has done us proud this season but when standards slip I don't think it inappropriate to point that out.

It's nowhere near as annoying as not being able to watch the game because the camera is showing a close up of a player, or a manager, or showing a replay. That's the thing that drives me potty - I've paid a tenner to watch the actual bloody football.

Glad it’s not just me!

They show replays of completely irrelevant moments several times and when they cut back to the game the ball is up the other end of the pitch.

Drives me mad. Sooner or later a goal or something significant will be missed because of these pointless replays.

• @Glenny said:

Yes!!! This drives me mad. Nearly missed Horgan’s disallowed goal last week because of it. They always seem to linger too long on and choose to show them while the ball is in play.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Before a ball had been kicked, I wrote down my predictions for each game (something I do for amusement every season) and I had us finishing on 40 points. We have fallen a few points behind my predicted total, but I hope we can still get close.

An unexpectedly realistic assessment (and actually not that many more than my pre-season quesstimate). I’d hazard a guess that we were down to 37 after game 1? (Which I think is what we may end up with)

• @glasshalffull With your 40 pts total did you have us staying up or going down? What do you think the points total for safety will be this season?

• @micra said:
    It’s felt strangely empty on the Gasroom today. Has last Tuesday’s travesty affected regular posters so much that they couldn’t bring themselves to watch today’s game, I wonder ?

For the first time in lockdown I decided to give it a miss today. I assume I missed a goalfest, expertly commentated on with no controversial officiating and Stockdale made a series of world class saves?

• @micra said:
    It’s felt strangely empty on the Gasroom today. Has last Tuesday’s travesty affected regular posters so much that they couldn’t bring themselves to watch today’s game, I wonder ?

Possibly. But it was a game that contained only one talking point.

• @Wendoverman said:

@micra said:

For the first time in lockdown I decided to give it a miss today. I assume I missed a goalfest, expertly commentated on with no controversial officiating and Stockdale made a series of world class saves?

Please watch next time - it didn't work!

• After I discovered that you can select just the live feed from the match I’ve stopped listening to the commentary.
    No slight at all towards the commentators but I’ve managed to get through the last 30 years of watching Wycombe without someone telling me what I can plainly see in front of my face.
    What it does give you an appreciation of is that apart from the copious amount of effing and geffing players get into 90 minutes, is the amount of encouragement and coaching coming from the Wycombe bench.
    Realistically speaking we aren’t staying up this season ( although I will take a miracle again if offered) however if we can make a clean break from the losing cycle and there’s no long term damage to the teams confidence, with the players we’ve brought in and the extraordinary coaching team we have I don’t see why we can’t have a very good 21/22

• A very quiet evening on the forum. Little or no debate. Was it just because the game was so poor or is there resignation we are probably going down. So, to give posters something to do on a Sunday morning, does Stockdale keep his place even if Allsop is fit and has Fred done enough ?

• I understand the posts about needing 3 points and not 1 in our position, but we are not Man City and we won’t win the last 17 matches so I’ll happily take a point from a game we didn’t deserve to win. And I would have taken a point from Derby too as we went into injury time - 5 in a week would have been a good return by our standards. I’m full of belief we can beat Reading on Tuesday so onto the next one.

Oh and well done to Dan Simpson on the co comms, I’m happy to hear someone who is so enthusiastic over 90 mins. Christ, read back through some of our matchday threads and imagine if WE were co commentating!!!! Also watching the live show he presents before KO is now firmly a part of my matchday routine and are plenty of clubs who don’t do that kind of pre match show.

• A clean sheet for Stockdale means he should keep his place. He did nothing wrong and it looks as if the loan period at Stevenage enabled him to get his match sharpness back.

• So taking Barnsley’s 2019/20 season 49 points total as the survival marker, we now need 29 points from 16 games. That is 29 points from a possible 48 points.

• Aloysius > @A_Worboys said:

@glasshalffull With your 40 pts total did you have us staying up or going down? What do you think the points total for safety will be this season?

Andy, to calculate that I would have needed to play a guessing game with the results of 23 other teams as well and life is too short for that even in lockdown!
    In the last 3 seasons, teams have stayed up with 49, 44 and 43 points so we’d have been in the mix but not necessarily doomed. It was only a guesstimate anyway.

• If, as was suggested Rocky sustained a muscle injury, then I'm sure Stockdale will keep his place on Tuesday. A good chance for him to really challenge for the no.1 spot.

Don't think they'll be wholesale changes for Tuesday, but wouldn't be surprised to see Gape or Thompson come into the starting XI to give us some extra energy in midfield. Perhaps McCleary for Onyedinma.

• Huddersfield thrashing Swansea yesterday should give us all hope.

Not a result I would have seen coming in a million years