Skip to content

Match day thread: Millwall

Comments

• Is that our first away clean sheet of the season?

• @Shev said:
    No pen for me (or at least less than 50%). It looks like Fred tried to fight through the defender's arm, which was already outstretched, and could not, so he fell over.

Agree...what Alan Hansen used to call "excellent defending".

• First away clean sheet in the Championship.

• I am liking Ryan Taffazoli. A cool, calm game against a striker who many raved about in the reverse episode fixture.
    It was a game nullified by an awful pitch. On today alone a decent point.

• An away draw is a decent point usually.
    But the type of game we have to convert into a win to have even the slightest chance of staying up unfortunately.

• @micra said:
    What is @Right_in_the_Middle ?

How rude. I am not a ‘what’!

• Thought we were excellent overall against a well drilled Millwall side. Hutchinson outstanding for them.

Best game so far for Tafazolli, he has been brilliant last few games doing the simple stuff. On top of this it is great to have a naturally left footed center back. He's a big threat in the opposition box as well.

Matt Cecil is becoming a really good commentator, really enjoyed listening to him throughout. Dan toned it down second half and gave a much improved performance as a co-commentator, well done to both!

We've missed out on 8 points this season by either conceding after the 87th minute or having a goal disallowed (Watford). It's a shame as that would have us right in the mix. Good to see today we saw the game out, particularly after the free kick was awarded.

The way we have performed the last three games has been fantastic and whatever happens if we keep that level of performance up then we can all be proud of the team in our debut season at this level!

• MOM for me was Taffazoli. Strength timing & positioning were excellent.

• I think the defender's arm across Fred makes it a penalty (like Aaron Pierre v Spurs) but I also think he did it in such a way as the ref would have been unsighted.

Nil nil probably a fair reflection of how the game went.

• Ref was excellent, booked a Millwall player early for diving . Didnt think any of the calls were pens.
    Struggling to think of a decision he got wrong, and there were plenty of players throwing themselves to the ground on both sides, trying to con the ref.

• By the way, I thought Dan was great on co-comms

• You’re a whatnot then @Right_in_the_Middle ! I genuinely didn’t click in the heat (!) of the moment that it was the pitch that you were describing as a disgrace. It wasn’t great and Millwall didn’t risk passing on it until they were well in to our half. Ours should be better on Tuesday so I hope there will be less hoofball than today.

I had a horrible feeling that we were going to be beaten in added time again so I was relieved

Good to see Fred exchanging shirts with Romeo.

• After the penalty given against Fred v Brentford I guess we are judging all future claims against that. So on that basis both v derby and today should be a penalty plus a red card and a six week ban against the defender and anyone within 10 yards

• I was relieved that we at least salvaged a point and got our first away clean sheet in the Championship.
  • Very competitive game and either side didn’t deserve to win it. Feel like we need more than points but not a bad point away to a side who had won their last 2. Little bit worried at how we finish games. Not sure if it’s mentality or fitness but we always seem to lose any attacking intent in the final 5

• Similar to the Birmingham game, but without ever quite plunging to the depths that one did.

Whilst it was frustrating to see the lack of urgency from us, with all our flair players off key, I personally didn't ever see us getting the winner. A draw may not be much use in the relegation battle, but it's still preferable to losing and even if we are going down I'd still like to us get as many points as possible.

• Unfortunately we need wins. Disappointed we didn’t bring the subs on earlier to have some chance to change the game. Pitch didn’t help either side.

• It’s felt strangely empty on the Gasroom today. Has last Tuesday’s travesty affected regular posters so much that they couldn’t bring themselves to watch today’s game, I wonder ?

• Most people still discussing the Derby game

• We looked significantly weaker following the substitutions if you ask me. Can understand leaving the starting line up as it was for as long as possible

• @micra said:
    It’s felt strangely empty on the Gasroom today. Has last Tuesday’s travesty affected regular posters so much that they couldn’t bring themselves to watch today’s game, I wonder ?

Certainly couldn't blame people if they swerved today.

Heart breaking goal midweek.
    Crap opponent who play bleak football.
    An opponent who we've played loads in the recent past, so not even any sort of "new" element to it.

• The surface always seems very poor at the New Den, hard and bubbly.
    Our back four hardly put a foot wrong, but we offered very little offensively.
    Saying that, I think we have an absolute star in Mehmeti, hopefully we have him tied down on a long term deal.

• Agree that he has great ability and very composed in possession, today’s pitch and opponents weren’t best suited to his particular talents.

• Hear hear to that @ChasHarps.
    The pitch was really soggy today but they still put the sprinklers on at half time (unless for some obscure reason iFollow was showing a library clip).

We’ve only lost once in our last five visits apparently.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Ref was excellent, booked a Millwall player early for diving . Didnt think any of the calls were pens.
    Struggling to think of a decision he got wrong, and there were plenty of players throwing themselves to the ground on both sides, trying to con the ref.

I think Gillett is one of the best refs in the EFL and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him promoted to the PL list before long.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Clean sheet for Stockdale ?

Clean sheet for Wycombe...rare treat!

• 4 points to go! Once we pass Rotherham, I will set my sights on 30!

• Before a ball had been kicked, I wrote down my predictions for each game (something I do for amusement every season) and I had us finishing on 40 points. We have fallen a few points behind my predicted total, but I hope we can still get close.

• Have to add my applause to the referee as well. Thought he had an excellent game. Kept his cards in his pocket & on the whole remained anonymous, which is how a good referee should be. The two yellows that he awarded were spot on.

• @aloysius said:
    Dull match but the only thing annoying me is the kid on commentary duty. He loves the sound of his voice far too much and needs to learn to stick to summarising rather than part-interviewing, past wrestling the main commentary off Matt (and for goodness sake get the sound levels between the two of them equal).

I think this is a bit unfair and mean spirited on someone I believe was commentating for the first time. He gave it a good go and seems a nice bloke