Skip to content

Match day thread: Millwall

Comments

• He sounds like a children's TV presenter, but very likeable.

• I’m ok with the enthusiasm, but yeah, the interruptions and ramblings are a little grating.

• It's a foul, Pete, because the referee said so.

• @Shev said:
    He sounds like a children's TV presenter, but very likeable.

He is a children’s tv presenter!

• @Chris said:
    It's a foul, Pete, because the referee said so.

Why Pete?

• I think the iFollow commentary is good this week. Very good ref too...

• @floyd said:

@Shev said:
    He sounds like a children's TV presenter, but very likeable.

He is a children’s tv presenter!

Haha - I had no idea!

• @Malone said:

@Chris said:

Why Pete?

Our CFO was complaining about a foul on Uche according to Matt Cecil.

• @Chris said:

@Malone said:

@Chris said:

Why Pete?

Our CFO was complaining about a foul on Uche according to Matt Cecil.

On text? As I thought they said he couldn't make it to the game today.

• Matt Cecil really is great on commentary.

• I’m not sure how that’s not a penalty.

• What is it with Fred and pens. That looked nailed on

• edited February 2021

Can only think the ref didn't think Fred had enough control of the ball.
    But another for the "could have been given" locker.

Superb run of play from Mehmeti soon after,. Then passed to Horgan and lost immediately.
    If you didn't know, and were asked which of those was the big star signing, and which was a guy making his first half a season in the pro game, I doubt many would guess the right way round.

• Penalty for me.

• I think Fred had hold of the guy’s arm, so there wasn’t much else he could do.

• No penalty for me

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Difficult to put your finger on why we looked so sharp v derby and 2nd half v Huddersfield and then this tepid showing.

I’m going for the state of the pitch seeing as you’ve branched out from more than just your finger.

Frankly it’s a disgrace

• @Malone said:

If a defender punches an attacker whilst in the penalty area it’s a penalty no matter where the ball is. Bring in possession let along control of the ball is not, as far as I can recall from my referee training many years ago, is not a pre-requisite for awarding a free kick/penalty.

• @carrickblue said:

@Malone said:

If a defender punches an attacker whilst in the penalty area it’s a penalty no matter where the ball is. Bring in possession let along control of the ball is not, as far as I can recall from my referee training many years ago, is not a pre-requisite for awarding a free kick/penalty.

So why do you think the ref didn't adjudge it a pen?

• @micra said:
    What is @Right_in_the_Middle ?

A long debated question on the gasroom ;)

• @Malone said:
    So why do you think the ref didn't adjudge it a pen?

Direct free kick
    A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

charges
    jumps at
    kicks or attempts to kick
    pushes
    strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
    tackles or challenges
    trips or attempts to trip

I can only guess, from his position, he didn’t feel that there was anything careless, reckless or excessive force.

Hard to tell from the ifollow stream. Some get given some don’t. Wouldn’t say it was definitely a penalty. Wouldn’t have been surprised to see it given either though.

• Another underwhelming one.

An opponent who haven't lost for 7, but who didn't look particularly good at anything.

Onto Tuesday.

• @aloysius said:
    Dull match but the only thing annoying me is the kid on commentary duty. He loves the sound of his voice far too much and needs to learn to stick to summarising rather than part-interviewing, past wrestling the main commentary off Matt (and for goodness sake get the sound levels between the two of them equal).

Credit where credit is due - a vastly improved second half from the co-commentator who gave a far more disciplined performance (I suspect he read my comments at half time).

That's the second match where I thought it was a penalty for Fred. Hey ho.

• Distinct lack of urgency in the last 5 mins, we need to be going into the final minutes of tied games with the aim of winning

• No pen for me (or at least less than 50%). It looks like Fred tried to fight through the defender's arm, which was already outstretched, and could not, so he fell over.

• Clean sheet for Stockdale ?

• A game where both sides with the assistance of a dreadful pitch contrived to nullify each other.

We played ok in very short patches and defended fairly well, with Knight and Wheeler being the best of the bunch for their 90 minute performance for me; oh and Stocko did ok but was never asked any serious questions by a toothless Millwall attack.

• Overall the officials were decent and controlled the game well, no major mistakes and the minor ones (a couple of throws the wrong way) didn't impact the game.

I share @Shev 's view that it would have been a very soft penalty to have been given and on balance the ref got it right.

• Forgettable.

If we were 20 points better off I would take it.

Subs were too late and therefore made little impact. We need to make subs sooner. The changes were obvious for all and we needed more energy and threat. We got neither.

Hey ho