Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• The relationship between referees and players is fcuked up and the players have the power therefore noting will change. I’m not advocating a rugby style of referees but surely we need to stop the abuse and swearing at referees and in return referees can take a less aloof attitude to players helping them understand decisions.

Back in the day I remember Roger Milford at the time one of the top refs in the country officiating a Wycombe game when we were in league 2 (as it is now). He called the players by their first name and the relationship was a mutual joy. Now every throw in is greeted by a ‘oh f**k off ref’.

Genie is out the bottle and last night someone reacted like a human I guess.

• Great link @eric_plant .
    On the other side heard an interview with Lambert on the radio this evening. Apparently “judgey” Is not the sort of player who abuses referees and last night when he marched over to the ref, he was simply congratulating him on a “what- ho, spiffing decision old bean” (I may be paraphrasing there). Rest of the interview alternated between him angling for the ref to get banned for six months and trying to get a subsequent incident red card rescinded.
    What an odious little man Lambert is. Really couldn’t see Gareth reacting in such a classless way. Yet another reminder how lucky we are with our manager and well shot we are of that horrible man

• @the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    Uche does not like a pass. 2 players near him in a better position there

Having watched Wycombe numerous times this season I've noticed his awareness is almost non existent, unfortunately looks like Hearts have sold you a pup.

clueless fan...he is an incredible signing...gp and watch rugby

• Great interview. I totally agree with what he says.

• @drcongo said:
    Reckon @micra would have also saved that pen that Stocko saved. A gentle pass to the keeper’s shoulder.

I can drop down at the drop of a hat. Problem is getting up again.

• @the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Having watched Wycombe numerous times this season I've noticed his awareness is almost non existent, unfortunately looks like Hearts have sold you a pup.

If you’ve watched Wycombe “numerous” times, it’s a shame that you left it until yesterday to join the Gasroom. We have been denied your wit and insight for too long.

• @HCblue said:
    Great interview. I totally agree with what he says.

Ditto. I don’t think our guys are totally without sin but only under extreme provocation of course.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub is that the Roger Milford who had a good laugh with a hopped up Gazza but failed to act after two appalling fouls in the 1991 FA Cup Final? (shudder)

• I was there in 1991. Gazza should have been sent off for cutting Gary Charles in half. Instead he was stretchered off with no card at all...ref was too keen to be matey. There is a balance to be struck.

• @Forest_Blue though in that London I had to work that weekend and so could not attend. I suppose had he got a yellow for at least one of the tackles on Parker or Charles he may have stayed on the pitch and won it for them anyway and poor old Des would have been saved the agony of putting it in his own net!

• @the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Have you tried not sniffing glue before kick off?

• Just watched the Derby highlights and apart from the wrong offside decision against Horgan, there is a case for saying that Kazan-Richards was offside and in Allsop’s line of sight for the winning goal. Can’t do anything about it now, but worth watching.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Just watched the Derby highlights and apart from the wrong offside decision against Horgan, there is a case for saying that Kazan-Richards was offside and in Allsop’s line of sight for the winning goal. Can’t do anything about it now, but worth watching.

He would have had to have been on the floor to be in his line of sight

• @glasshalffull said:
    Eh?

Not described very well but that ball was fired back through with Allsop nowhere to be seen, would be some strech to say Kazim-Richards was involved at all.

• Never offside in a million years. Absolute desperation to claim otherwise.

There were enough decisions go against us without dragging that in (I didn't actually think it was a free kick in the first place as it goes - thought their player lost control of the ball and ran into Knight)

I've watched a few replays and I think it was a definite penalty when Fred was brought down. I wasn't sure at the time but the more I see it the more I think it was a penalty.

• Never a free kick. For all the good Kevin Friend did in the middle, he got two game changing decisions wrong.

• I'm coming to the conclusion there are different rules in the top two divisions.

The ability established players at this level have to get a decision is up a good few notches on what I am used to seeing.

I was interested to see the Quest clip on the Derby game where the player in the studio thought we got our penalty because the Derby player held his hands up after whereas there was no admission of guilt in the Fred challenge. Are the refs really influenced by that? It appears so.

• I can't see past the fact that if Freds incident wasn't a penalty, then neither was it a free kick from which they scored at the end. I agree with @eric_plant, their player ran into Knight after pushing the ball too far in front of him!

• The sandwiching of Fred was in my (old) eyes as much a foul (and therefore a penalty) as the coming together that led to the free kick from which they scored the 94th minute winner.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Have you tried not sniffing glue before kick off?

@the_wanderer is adamant that no substances were involved on Tuesday evening. That’s his story and he’s sticking to it. Says he wasn’t plastered either.

• @eric_plant said:
    Never offside in a million years. Absolute desperation to claim otherwise.

You are entitled to your opinion as are other posters. No need to dismiss views with which you disagree in such an arrogant manner.

• edited February 2021

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    Never offside in a million years. Absolute desperation to claim otherwise.

You are entitled to your opinion as are other posters. No need to dismiss views with which you disagree in such an arrogant manner.

I applaud your efforts in trying to be reasoned at times, I really do :)

• @glasshalffull said:
    Eh?

Quite right, should have gone for something like this instead

• It was a genuine question to which the poster concerned replied without taking offence (which was not intended anyway).

• @glasshalffull said:
    Just watched the Derby highlights and apart from the wrong offside decision against Horgan, there is a case for saying that Kazan-Richards was offside and in Allsop’s line of sight for the winning goal. Can’t do anything about it now, but worth watching.

I agree - Kazim-Richards is in an offside position and roughly in front of the keeper when the goal goes in. But I only noticed that on the replay and unless the ref has VAR it’s unlikely he would give an offside. Is K-R ‘active’ when the shot goes in...I’m not convinced he is?

• Every matchday thread ends up about glue and eh if it goes on long enough

• @Forest_Blue said:
    . Is K-R ‘active’ when the shot goes in...I’m not convinced he is?

He was inside when the free kick was taken and when he started running in. He became offside when the ball came back off the post and was at the time of the subsequent shot. But as someone has pointed out earlier it is not an offence to be in an offside position unless seeking to gain an advantage or is interfering with play. He makes no attempt to play the ball so should not, in my opinion, be penalised.

Whether it was a free kick, a penalty for the challenge on Fred and the blatant wrong decision on Horgan are all past and don’t influence that correct decision - hard as it is to take.

• The law says that a player can be offside if he is ‘Preventing an opponent playing the ball by obstructing his line of vision.’ Admittedly that would be a harsh interpretation in view of Allsop’s positioning, but goals have been disallowed in similar situations. I also see that GA felt Kazim-Richards was offside.