Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Pretty well everyone has been arguing that it wasn’t offside @HCblue, including several Derby County fans. The referee’s assistant couldn’t possibly have been focussing on Mehmeti when he took the free kick. It all happened at lightning speed, genius on Mehmeti’s part (and yes, I’m biased in that respect !), but the assistant, if he had the quickness of thought, would have felt there had to be an element of doubt and he wouldn’t have wanted to be seen to have made an error of judgement leading to a game changing goal favouring little old Wycombe. Or am I just being a cynical old so and so who gets upset when his beloved football team is “unlucky” for the umpteenth time?

• I fear we're in danger of downgrading the definition of "genius"!!

• @micra said:
    Pretty well everyone has been arguing that it wasn’t offside @HCblue, including several Derby County fans. The referee’s assistant couldn’t possibly have been focussing on Mehmeti when he took the free kick. It all happened at lightning speed, genius on Mehmeti’s part (and yes, I’m biased in that respect !), but the assistant, if he had the quickness of thought, would have felt there had to be an element of doubt and he wouldn’t have wanted to be seen to have made an error of judgement leading to a game changing goal favouring little old Wycombe. Or am I just being a cynical old so and so who gets upset when his beloved football team is “unlucky” for the umpteenth time?

I am starting to wonder if certain referees and lino's make certain decisions based on expectations rather than what is in front of their eyes. The speed of that quick free kick was so un Wycombe the lino was taken by surprise and just guessing.
    I also despair at the different rules in the penalty area as opposed to outside.

• It does rather show how much of a balls up the Prem have made with offsides in Var if it's not universally welcomed.
    Its simply never been possible for a limo to be looking along the line and at the ball in play at the same time and decide with any certainty when there's any speed involved.

Anyway much better again last night, you can't account for stupid refereeing and your big man heading in his own net. Horgan was much more like we'd all hoped, jumping in to grab the ball rather than waiting for it and getting shots away .. and a bloody goal lino. Shame McCleary seems to have gone a bit quiet and not sure Fred contributed much. Taff coming into midfield errors to break things up and intercept a few times was impressive if not his passing.

Not surprised the sub is raising questions of our positivity. I have no doubt the idea was to hold on rather than push for a winner and we did sit back deeper and we know how that worked out.

• @micra said:
    Pretty well everyone has been arguing that it wasn’t offside @HCblue, including several Derby County fans. The referee’s assistant couldn’t possibly have been focussing on Mehmeti when he took the free kick. It all happened at lightning speed, genius on Mehmeti’s part (and yes, I’m biased in that respect !), but the assistant, if he had the quickness of thought, would have felt there had to be an element of doubt and he wouldn’t have wanted to be seen to have made an error of judgement leading to a game changing goal favouring little old Wycombe. Or am I just being a cynical old so and so who gets upset when his beloved football team is “unlucky” for the umpteenth time?

I think you may be tending towards uncharacteristic cynicism in assuming that the linesman could not have been aware that Mehmeti was taking the kick quickly and that he ignored an existing element of doubt in his judgement, just as others have been - characteristically or not - in assuming that he was out of position, when he was not visible in the shots of the event.

• All academic now...great performance let down by a striker making a terrible gaff in defence, possible poor officiating, slightly negative subs and sitting back at the end. Three goals on another day. Heigh Ho! How many points left?

• Clearly Allsop has a better season with a high percentage save rate ( but we probably allow more shots than other teams) but he was at fault for both goals last night. Where was the call to Uche that it was goalkeepers ball. Straight forward catch. Second goal was avoidable. More players in the wall( and taller ones!!) and his lack of speed getting down to the shot. OK all goalkeepers make mistakes but why when its 1-1 and we need to win, does he take a bloody age to take the goal kicks. No urgency , very frustrating. No matter what league we are in next season, we need a commending goalkeeper.

• You are entitled to your opinion on Allsop’s abilities, but you can’t possibly know whether or not he called for Uche to leave the ball and was simply ignored.

• Rocky has been amazing this season! Much better than we all expected and easily one of our better/consistent performers this season. And come on, all goalkeepers make mistakes. He did not for either last night by the way. His positioning was spot on for the free kick and you have to rely on the wall to cover one side. You can't then get to the other side if the free kick is good. It's a gamble but that is how it's done. Someone said he could have been stood in the middle of the goal - this is simply not how a goalkeeper defends a free kick. You see it may times where a keeper moves a step to the side covered by the wall and then it goes in the side he's covered. That's a mistake and shows you can't even give yourself a head start by moving at the earliest opportunity. You have to wait until it's kicked. last nights even hit the post so couldn't have been further for Rocky to reach. Anyone saying he was at fault does not understand goalkeeping when defending free kicks. If there was a mistake it was the wall and that might not actually be his call anyway?

• In the stills I’ve seen, and the highlights, Horgan certainly seems onside by the players in view. There is in addition the shadows of another player even further back towards the goal line. This is the Derby 3 so making the decision even worse

• @eric_plant said:
    I fear we're in danger of downgrading the definition of "genius"!!

Your quite right @eric_plant. I expected criticism when I wrote it but his lightning quick decision making was so out of keeping with what we’ve become accustomed to and I’ve become so star-struck with the lad that I got carried away !

I also have a lot of sympathy for the view that Rocky’s reluctance to catch crosses seems on occasion to encourage several defenders to crowd him out and that was certainly what happened with Uche’s own goal. Bayo has been excellent throughout his time at Wycombe at clearing corners but I don’t recall him ever getting so close to Rocky.

• Some of the Derby fans, though obviously claiming we are an appalling team, were suggesting the purchase of Uche and Horgan as they 'would probably not cost much'.
    I'm no judge of goalkeepers as I don't think Rocky is worse or better than any of the others in the Championship...obviously that bloke at Stevenage would probably be better :smile:

• One silver lining - if we keep this team, we are going to crush some teams in L1. We should be winning games easily in the massive step up, and are only failing to do so through a combination of bad officials and plain old bad luck. If we even have medium luck in the tier below, I could see us absolutely cremating some of those clubs.

• @Shev said:
    One silver lining - if we keep this team, we are going to crush some teams in L1. We should be winning games easily in the massive step up, and are only failing to do so through a combination of bad officials and plain old bad luck. If we even have medium luck in the tier below, I could see us absolutely cremating some of those clubs.

Was just thinking the same apart from knight every player last night on the pitch is a signed wycombe player has to be very positive going forward.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Uche does not like a pass. 2 players near him in a better position there

Having watched Wycombe numerous times this season I've noticed his awareness is almost non existent, unfortunately looks like Hearts have sold you a pup.

• Uche's last few performances have been stunningly good.

• @carrickblue said:
    In the stills I’ve seen, and the highlights, Horgan certainly seems onside by the players in view. There is in addition the shadows of another player even further back towards the goal line. This is the Derby 3 so making the decision even worse

This is another good point.

It was clearly miles onside from the Derby players we COULD see. We couldn't even see all of their players, so the full picture could easily have shown it was an even sillier decision than it already looks.

• @the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:

Having watched Wycombe numerous times this season I've noticed his awareness is almost non existent, unfortunately looks like Hearts have sold you a pup.

What a mad post.
    He's the single reason we're not fearing the dreaded day Bayo has to retire as much as we would otherwise be.

• @Malone said:

@the_wanderer said:

@prufrock_91 said:

What a mad post.
    He's the single reason we're not fearing the dreaded day Bayo has to retire as much as we would otherwise be.

Yup, absolute drivel, nowt wrong with your main striker being a bit greedy.

• Back on the offside issue. Anyone know when the flag went up? In real time I seem to remember the whistle going about the time Horgan shot but it seemed to me the two defenders had half stopped a little bit before.

I don’t think the keeper knew it was offside, but I wonder whether if the referees assistant hadn’t flagged that Horgan may have had a little more pressure on him.

Not to dismiss a brilliant bit of quick thinking on Mehmeti and Horgan’s part and an awful offside decision

• For the lino to have any chance he needs to be in line with Horgan as furthest forward attacker looking back at play. He's not even in the bloody photo's.

• @the_wanderer said:

Thank you for your most insightful comment - now, like good little Troll, please scurry off back under your wooden brings as I believe there is piece of rotten fruit awaiting your return !

• @Ceefax_Striker said:

@the_wanderer said:

Thank you for your most insightful comment - now, like good little Troll, please scurry off back under your wooden brings as I believe there is piece of rotten fruit awaiting your return !

Bridge

• @bookertease said:
    Back on the offside issue. Anyone know when the flag went up? In real time I seem to remember the whistle going about the time Horgan shot but it seemed to me the two defenders had half stopped a little bit before.

I don’t think the keeper knew it was offside, but I wonder whether if the referees assistant hadn’t flagged that Horgan may have had a little more pressure on him.

Not to dismiss a brilliant bit of quick thinking on Mehmeti and Horgan’s part and an awful offside decision

It definitely felt like the pressure had disappeared, as we all suspected it'd be stopped for whatever reason. Even if the reason had been taking it too quickly etc.

Maybe the "cute" reaction of the centre backs is what fooled the linesman. As well as the infuriating "well he looks miles off, so must be" gambling.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    For the lino to have any chance he needs to be in line with Horgan as furthest forward attacker looking back at play. He's not even in the bloody photo's.

Because he was on the other side of the pitch!

• I love how he chose the shortest player on the pitch!

• @HCblue said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    For the lino to have any chance he needs to be in line with Horgan as furthest forward attacker looking back at play. He's not even in the bloody photo's.

Because he was on the other side of the pitch!

Lol, fair enough. Maybe he was just incompetent rather than slow and incompetent.

• Reckon @micra would have also saved that pen that Stocko saved. A gentle pass to the keeper’s shoulder.

• Unless he flopped to the ground about two seconds before the penalty taker reached the ball