Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Derby

1679111214

Comments

  • I wonder how the linesman who was running the line is reflecting on his evenings work.

  • Let’s win at Millwall and then a magnificent win at home against Reading. We are now really competing and hopefully GA will stick with this starting 11.

  • BTW - Stockdale with last minute penalty save for Stevenage last night to earn them a vital 1-0 away win. He also was named in the League 2 team of the week last week.

  • Best performance by Obita IMO last night.Has slotted in quite well

  • The ref was good, the assistant poor and guessed...maybe he just didn’t like the quick free kick?

  • @yorkyblue said:
    I wonder how the linesman who was running the line is reflecting on his evenings work.

    Probably a Wayne Rooney fan so might be delighted!

  • @Forest_Blue said:
    The ref was good, the assistant poor and guessed...maybe he just didn’t like the quick free kick?

    He was doubtless taken by surprise by the quick free kick, wasn't properly concentrating and took a guess, erring on the side of caution. And, of course, got it horribly wrong.

  • edited February 17

    I'm less sure than previous posters about the wrongness of the offside decision. The still shot is not taken at the point of contact with the ball - Mehmeti is on the downswing, Horgan is on the move while the defender is not, and it is not clear from the photo angle where the offside line is. It looks close to me and it is certainly far from clear one way or the other.

  • That's what I think happened. I suspect he wasn't looking, only looked up after the ball had been played and guessed

  • @Blue_since_1990 said:
    BTW - Stockdale with last minute penalty save for Stevenage last night to earn them a vital 1-0 away win. He also was named in the League 2 team of the week last week.

    Can we still recall Stockdale ? Give a chance for Allsop to remove those concrete boots and soothe his feet !!

  • I think most people would agree that Allsop has had an outstanding season and has made more saves than any other keeper in the division.

  • @AlanCecil said:
    Need to see it again but there is feeling that Kazim was in an offside position, and interfering, when the winning goal went in.

    I've just watched it, it was a valid goal

  • @glasshalffull said:
    I think most people would agree that Allsop has had an outstanding season and has made more saves than any other keeper in the division.

    You've been watching football for decades and must have seen more top class goalkeepers than any of us. As a preference, do you prefer a keeper that commands his area and pushes his defenders up, or one who always stays on his line meaning centre halves often end up defending within their own six yard box?

  • Hard to tell from highlights if Horgan was offside or not as the quick free kick beat the cameraman as well as the lino.
    Looks to me though like the free kick was taken about five yards back from the position of the actual foul. Is this an offence?

  • Great performance overall yesterday and desperately unfortunate to lose. I hate the whinging about bad refereeing decisions but that offside call was so pivotal to the game and was blatantly just panicked guesswork.

    Was surprised that Admiral didn't come on to play up top with Uche for the last twenty minutes when the game was there for the taking. He seems to have fallen out of favour since the Spurs game which is odd as I thought he'd looked pretty good.

  • edited February 17

    @HCblue said:
    I'm less sure than previous posters about the wrongness of the offside decision. The still shot is not taken at the point of contact with the ball - Mehmeti is on the downswing, Horgan is on the move while the defender is not, and it is not clear from the photo angle where the offside line is. It looks close to me and it is certainly far from clear one way or the other.

    I don't know if you're mistaking Mehemti's black glove as being his boot on the image posted on the previous page.

    Click on the image, and you'll clearly see on the bigger image, that the still perfectly captures ball to foot.

    Horgan is well onside. If you doubt the line drawn, use a ruler. Clearly without any doubt onside.

  • Four Derby supporters I work with all think Horgan was clearly onside. Meanwhile, we've got supporters arguing that he wasn't. Peak Gasroom!

  • The perfect goalkeeper would be adaptable to the system his team plays. Remember the days of the β€˜sweeper keeper’ pushing upfield? Now we want keepers to be good with the ball at their feet and play out from the back.
    If you believe that Allsop’s weakness is coming for crosses, you have to admit that he excels in other areas.

  • My thoughts on Allsop are well documented!

  • But I don't particularly enjoy watching our centre halves head away crosses from deep within our six yard box whilst opposition attackers wait on the edge of the penalty area to have another shot, no

  • Regarding the Horgan β€˜goal’, I was at the game in the media section right opposite the free kick and I don’t know how anyone can think he was offside. Mehmeti’s speed of thought and accurate delivery caught out the Derby players to such an extent that Horgan took possession in yards of space and I can only think the assistant assumed he was offside because there was no opponent near him. It was a very poor decision.

  • @Blue_since_1990 said:
    BTW - Stockdale with last minute penalty save for Stevenage last night to earn them a vital 1-0 away win. He also was named in the League 2 team of the week last week.

    @eric_plant

  • He's looking like a superb loan signing for Stevenage

  • @glasshalffull: you do know how anyone might argue it was not clearly offside. Everyone except you had only the limited camera footage to base opinion on.

    @arnos_grove: I've not seen anyone argue it wasn't offside.

    @malone: you can't put a ruler on the screen to measure offside if it is not clear at what angle the ruler should be placed, especially when, as here, the camera provides a limited amount of perspective and is not in line with the event. I take your point about the still being at point of contact.

  • @glasshalffull said:
    The perfect goalkeeper would be adaptable to the system his team plays. Remember the days of the β€˜sweeper keeper’ pushing upfield? Now we want keepers to be good with the ball at their feet and play out from the back.
    If you believe that Allsop’s weakness is coming for crosses, you have to admit that he excels in other areas.

    Apart from reasonable kicking not sure what other area's Allsop excels in ?
    Awful on commanding his area and dealing with crosses, Parrys far to many shots back out into the danger area, slow movement of feet that makes it difficult for him to respond sharply, never gets near any penalty.
    Admit he has shown improvement in some areas, his punching was quite positive yesterday.
    But like Mr Plant, I don't think Allsop is a particularly good goalkeeper.

  • Another Allsop pile on today I see from the normal contributors.

    Interesting that his wall set up for the winner last night was probably his biggest downfall. Had the sides smallest players in it when a shot was a more likely option to a cross. Having a shot go over the wall and hit the base of the post shouldn't have happened.

    The winner was off side by the way. By the letter of the law anyway. In reality I'd have been annoyed if we'd have scored it and off side had bern given. Also the Derby striker was so in our centre halves pockets he couldn't have been described as influencing play at any point. He even did a better job of a defensive header than Uche when even a Sunday morning player would have been slated for not scoring.

  • @glasshalffull said:
    I think most people would agree that Allsop has had an outstanding season and has made more saves than any other keeper in the division.

    He has certainly outperformed my expectations and is certainly not the worst keeper in the division. His save percentage is 67.4%

    Interesting to see the percentage saves of the top 5 teams. Krul Norwich 81.1%, Woodman Swansea 80.0%, Bachmann Watford 84.2%, Raya Brentford 73.2% and Bergovic Bournemouth 79.6%

  • I’m with Eric and Chas on the Allsop debate. I was concerned with the huge gap he had left to his left at that last free kick and said as much to my wife. The free kick was at such a distance that it was easy to get it up and over the wall. If he had placed himself in the centre of the goal he could have parried that shot out...you could see what was coming by the way he positioned himself. He made a similar positioning mistake to let in the first goal in the last match. I’d agree he had a reasonably good game until then, but he never inspires me with confidence and never has. He moves around his goal area like he’s wading through mud. And why oh why does he check the sole of his left boot at almost every kick out. Habit thing I suppose.,

  • Hands up who was slightly less confident than normal with Uche stepping up to take that penalty?

    Slotted it in great but I miss JJ so much.

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Another Allsop pile on today I see from the normal contributors.

    Interesting that his wall set up for the winner last night was probably his biggest downfall. Had the sides smallest players in it when a shot was a more likely option to a cross. Having a shot go over the wall and hit the base of the post shouldn't have happened.

    The winner was off side by the way. By the letter of the law anyway. In reality I'd have been annoyed if we'd have scored it and off side had bern given. Also the Derby striker was so in our centre halves pockets he couldn't have been described as influencing play at any point. He even did a better job of a defensive header than Uche when even a Sunday morning player would have been slated for not scoring.

    It really wasn't.

    "It is not an offence to be in an offside position."

    He didn't impede any Wycombe player's attempt to play the ball, nor did he move towards the ball with any intention of playing it

Sign In or Register to comment.