Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• @ChasHarps said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@davecz said:
    Allsop should have done better. Saw the shot coming all the way for the first shot that hit the post. Poor goalkeeping.

Oh please. It was a good save. Their centre half did a great finish and was allowed to as he was not picked up. Tired brains. When you give away a free kick like that when you are knackered it was a foregone conclusion. Sadly

Save ? It hit the post, due to Allsops slow feet once again. Should have comfortably got across.
    At fault for the first, should have called and claimed. And just before Derby's winner, he was rooted to his line for what should have been a regulation catch, fortunately the Rams player made a hash of it.

Thought he got a hand to it. Commentator was too busy screaming his utter joy that Wayne Rooney Utd had fulfilled his dream to clarify.

• Unfortunately we need points not just performance and this is a real kick in the teeth Theofficials are god damn awful in this league nearly as bad as some of the posters on here who think they know football .

• @Doober48 said:
    Unfortunately we need points not just performance and this is a real kick in the teeth Theofficials are god damn awful in this league nearly as bad as some of the posters on here who think they know football .

Football probably isn’t for you...

• Already looking forward to Saturday after the last two games.

I think we've found our best line up now as it's getting our best players on the ball in forward positions. Horgan, Mehmeti and Ikpeazu in particular were excellent tonight and the more they play together the better they will get.

Play like that on Saturday and we'll win

• I think our "wall" was on man short the extra man could have covered the near post better.
    As a keeper you cover the goal not protected by the wall.
    Great display tonight. Gutted to lose.
    3 points at the new den Saturday

• Midfield was awesome tonight.
    Mehmeti's forward drive
    Knight fabulous talking and. Over
    Wheeler up and down the pitch - great support to Uche

• Fantastic quick thinking from Mehmeti for the disallowed goal. He is a real gem.
    So many good performances tonight,
    Ikpeazu, Mehmeti, Horgan and Knight we excellent.

• How many times were Derby forced into an error. I’ve got to say I think we’ve found our best formation , my only concern is the psychological effect of the defeat. If team can get over that we will scare the shit out of some teams this season

• @deanoblue said:
    I think our "wall" was on man short the extra man could have covered the near post better.
    As a keeper you cover the goal not protected by the wall.
    Great display tonight. Gutted to lose.
    3 points at the new den Saturday

The wall was simply too small. Needed at least one of our taller players in it. It was always going to be a shot with that set up.

Enjoyed the game tonight. Horrible off side decision in the first half but a great response until we faded in the final few minutes.

• Wayne Rooney said that we deserved the win

• But we didn’t win @Wanderers82.

• Rooney has mastered the flaming obvious he might make it as a manager yet

• @micra said:
    But we didn’t win @Wanderers82

yes but we are looking do much better and enjoyable to watch...building got league 1

• The last two games have been a massive step up from previous weeks. Uche, Knight and Mehmeti have been excellent. Is it a coincidence that this has happened after Rob’s meetings with management ?

• Need to see it again but there is feeling that Kazim was in an offside position, and interfering, when the winning goal went in.

• Rather than coincidence I like to think of it more as a timely meeting of minds.

• If I may venture a negative... Mehmeti being subbed for Gape was an odd decision when we were chasing the win. It meant playing Gape as an attacking, creative midfield when he's not known for either role. We lost our shape at that point and with it, the momentum. Of course, there's only one player that we have who could have worked as a like-for-like sub for Mehmeti. And to channel my inner @Shev, he's now playing for Leyton Orient. It's a shame we've changed formation after loaning Freeman out, we simply don't have anyone to sub in for Mehmeti in that role for the rest of the season. Would have been great to have stuck with him and had options in that role now.

• Spot on, @aloysius - the truth will set you Free(man).

• @Wanderers82 said:

@micra said:
    But we didn’t win @Wanderers82

yes but we are looking do much better and enjoyable to watch...building got league 1

Agreed @Wanderers82 but be careful not to talk about building for League 1 within earshot of Mr R Couhig (assuming that’s what you were saying).

• @davecz said:
    The last two games have been a massive step up from previous weeks. Uche, Knight and Mehmeti have been excellent. Is it a coincidence that this has happened after Rob’s meetings with management ?

Is this your new catchphrase @davecz ? Just

• More to the point, that’s what can happen when you don’t have VAR.

• Agree with @aloysius with regard to Mehmeti being subbed he still looked full of running and was a worry for Derby. Knight should have pushed up if Gape was coming on.

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:
    The last two games have been a massive step up from previous weeks. Uche, Knight and Mehmeti have been excellent. Is it a coincidence that this has happened after Rob’s meetings with management ?

@Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

Just asking the question. I’m sure there are a lot of people thinking why have we not be playing like this more often.

• @davecz said:

@Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

@Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

Just asking the question. I’m sure there are a lot of people thinking why have we not be playing like this more often.

Surely it’s because we haven’t played this 11 before?

• I said last week...pick our best 11 and worry less about formations....quality trumps formations

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    How many times were Derby forced into an error. I’ve got to say I think we’ve found our best formation , my only concern is the psychological effect of the defeat. If team can get over that we will scare the shit out of some teams this season

I think it made a big difference that David Marshall always seemed to struggle under pressure. He rarely found his own players with long kicks. Other teams in the division adapt better to that pressure on the keeper, either through better footwork from the goalkeeper himself, or both centre backs splitting either side of the box for a short pass. As a result, the formation we played with the high press doesn’t always work as some teams can’t pass around it.

• *can pass around it

• That was harder to take than getting thumped by Brentford. So many good performances and so unlucky to lose. Keep playing like that and we will surely win a few more games. It’s important that the players don’t lose confidence after such an undeserved defeat, so Gareth and Dobbo need to work their magic and lift them up off the floor.
    Noticeable how much better PL referees like Stroud and Friend are than some of their EFL counterparts, but a pity the assistant had a bad night.