Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Literally couldn't make it up, that we think for a brief second we've got away with it hitting the post, and then ricochets straight to their man.

• I can’t believe we lost that. At the same time I said to my companion that Derby would score as soon as the free kick was given!

Well done to them and all that - and I can’t believe K-Richards didn’t score a few minutes earlier - but we were so much better than them tonight. Ho hum.

• Another cruel nail in the coffin, though we're going down with a fight. Uche with another barnstorming performance leading the line, one of those long-range thunderbastards have to go in at some point.

• Less than one visit a week to the Gasroom and that’s the best you can come up with @DaveyK . You must be the only Gasroom poster who is smiling after that kick in the teeth.

• That was really typical of some of the games in the autumn in which we played well and got some rough luck - a close offside denies us the lead and the last kick of the game goes through Knight’s legs for the winner.

It was an excellent performance overall. The high press on the Derby keeper meant they kept punting the ball straight back to us and we spent large parts of the game on the front foot. Needed to be more clinical in the box though. Most of our shots on target were from range and, to Derby’s credit, they defended resolutely inside the 18 yard box.

We lost some momentum in the final 10-15 mins as Uche tired and Gape couldn’t replicate Mehmeti’s performance. Shame we didn’t have Bayo available for the last five minutes, although I’d have been tempted to bring on Samuel for some energy.

• Last week when we drew with Birmingham I wanted to scream at the tv in despair. Tonight hurt. It hurt a lot. But by Christ we gave it a go. Sure we will go down. But let’s keep swinging. A competent set of officials will be appointed soon and our day will come

• @davecz said:
    Allsop should have done better. Saw the shot coming all the way for the first shot that hit the post. Poor goalkeeping.

Silly comment. Alsop didn’t concede directly.
    Don’t single out players after a good performance.
    Especially when you don’t understand the game

• @arnos_grove said:
    You can always rely on @davecz to find the negative.

I thought it was an excellent performance but it was poor from Allsop.

• 3 points at Millwall on Saturday - and maybe even a goal direct from a corner to make up for another refereeing disaster from earlier in the season and all will be forgotten. Fantastic performance tonight and hope that last minute goal doesn't have a seriously negative effect to the dressing room.

• What a sickner! How have we lost that? A dominant display against in form opposition, just seems incredible we ended up losing.

On to Saturday. We have a good record at Millwall, so let's go and get a win.

Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, that's a hell of a good side we have shaping up for next season.

• Why did we sit back and let them come at us for the last five minutes? That's what cost us the match.

• @Glenactico said:
    That was really typical of some of the games in the autumn in which we played well and got some rough luck - a close offside denies us the lead and the last kick of the game goes through Knight’s legs for the winner.

It was an excellent performance overall. The high press on the Derby keeper meant they kept punting the ball straight back to us and we spent large parts of the game on the front foot. Needed to be more clinical in the box though. Most of our shots on target were from range and, to Derby’s credit, they defended resolutely inside the 18 yard box.

We lost some momentum in the final 10-15 mins as Uche tired and Gape couldn’t replicate Mehmeti’s performance. Shame we didn’t have Bayo available for the last five minutes, although I’d have been tempted to bring on Samuel for some energy.

Sorry, did I miss a close offside as well?

There was a very very non close offside. Miles on one if you mean that?

• @micra said:
    Less than one visit a week to the Gasroom and that’s the best you can come up with @DaveyK . You must be the only Gasroom poster who is smiling after that kick in the teeth.

Good lord @micra! Never seen you get that fighty, even when that troll challenged you to meet him I’m real life and say something to his face.

• We missed Mehmeti when he went off.

• He’s got up me nose even more with his latest “contribution” !

• @drcongo said:

@micra said:
    Less than one visit a week to the Gasroom and that’s the best you can come up with @DaveyK . You must be the only Gasroom poster who is smiling after that kick in the teeth.

Good lord @micra! Never seen you get that fighty, even when that troll challenged you to meet him I’m real life and say something to his face.

The big man is getting more and more fighty as the weeks go on.

You love to see it.

• @micra said:
    He’s got up me nose even more with his latest “contribution” !

I'm just struggling with two negative posters with dave in their name chuntering between themselves.

It's similar to when glasshalffull and halfempty go at it, or when username and username123 get involved.

• @micra said:

I’m smiling because of the performance. The visual cohesion to see we are growing and understanding as a team.

Micra. Fitting name! Like the car you're just here! Pointless and miles behind... haha

• @DaveyK said:

@davecz said:
    Allsop should have done better. Saw the shot coming all the way for the first shot that hit the post. Poor goalkeeping.

Should have got to the first shot. It was an excellent performance and I do understand the game and therefore have the right to comment.

• Horrible way to lose but a certain inevitability about it (thought our luck might hold after that awful miss a couple of minutes earlier).

But what a difference from last week. From being unwatchable it was a transformation. Can’t wait until the next game now.

How different this season could have been with a fit Uche.

• Absolutely gutted, didnt deserve that.

But we played so well, and even if we keep on losing can we at least keep playing like this for the rest of the season please, as someone else said I'd rather lose playing better football, than lose playing badly. It was only a couple of weeks ago we had to sit through that Birmingham game, we look a different team now.

• The foul for their winning free kick was similar to the penalty appeal for Fred, surely if one is given then both have to be.

• Uche and Mehmeti are certainly excellent acquisitions. Valuable assets indeed.

• @davecz said:

@DaveyK said:

@davecz said:

Should have got to the first shot. It was an excellent performance and I do understand the game and therefore have the right to comment.

Fair comment mate. As you do!
    I don’t believe alsop could do much more

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@davecz said:

Oh please. It was a good save. Their centre half did a great finish and was allowed to as he was not picked up. Tired brains. When you give away a free kick like that when you are knackered it was a foregone conclusion. Sadly

Save ? It hit the post, due to Allsops slow feet once again. Should have comfortably got across.
    At fault for the first, should have called and claimed. And just before Derby's winner, he was rooted to his line for what should have been a regulation catch, fortunately the Rams player made a hash of it.

• Brilliant performance, well done lads. Be proud tonight, not disappointed and ‘go again’ Saturday. Stay together and next season could be a lot of fun if we can perform to those standards. Thought almost everyone was great today, genuinely (McCleary still not quite himself). Obita looked a very good player for the first time (rather than just solid). Uche was absolutely magnificent.

• I really don't think there's any need to go looking for a scapegoat tonight. That was a great performance against an in-form side and if we're going down, we're going down swinging.

So many great performances tonight but Daryl Horgan really hit the heights at last and Jordan Obita certainly looked the part. And Josh Knight? Off the scale.

• @ChasHarps said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@davecz said:

Oh please. It was a good save. Their centre half did a great finish and was allowed to as he was not picked up. Tired brains. When you give away a free kick like that when you are knackered it was a foregone conclusion. Sadly

Save ? It hit the post, due to Allsops slow feet once again. Should have comfortably got across.
    At fault for the first, should have called and claimed. And just before Derby's winner, he was rooted to his line for what should have been a regulation catch, fortunately the Rams player made a hash

@ChasHarps -totally agree , slow feet. Was too slow getting down. Should have comfortably got across.

• Suprised people think Allsop could have done better. The first was too flat for him to come and get and the free kick was whipped with pace and any keeper would struggle to get over. I do think he could have come for the cross whereby their striker missed a sitter with 5mins to go however. Real shame, we looked like a team with a completely different DNA to one we’ve been used to watching.

• He was certainly rooted to the line for that Derby cross. Kazim-Richards should really have scored.
    I think everyone is aware that he fails to come off his line for crosses. Good shot stopper and he has made some excellent saves this season but his failure to command the box is a weakness that gets punished in this league.