Skip to content

Top Scorer race

The lack of goals so far this season means the race for top scorer could get interesting, though Scottie still has the lead:

Current table (goals and assists)

Kashket: 4 - 0
Jacobson: 2 - 4
McCleary: 2 - 1
Wheeler: 2 - 1
Tafazolli: 1 - 0
Mehmeti: 1 - 0
Bloomfield: 1 - 0
Stewart: 1- 0
Own goal: 1 - 0

I was going to attach a poll, but I assume Scottie and JJ would still be the prohibitive favourites, with Garath as a dark horse. For me, it will be interesting to see if Uche and/or Bayo can enter the reckoning from their current score of zero.

Comments

• Not exactly a red hot battle so far is it!

Top scorer on 4 half way through the season :)
    I'm sure at least 2 of those Kashket goals were utter goalkeeping howlers too.

• @Malone said:
    Not exactly a red hot battle so far is it!

And penalties aren't real goals either apparently.

I'd still say Bayo, Uche and Horgan would be in with a shout but I'm going for our Sean Devine style January loan signing.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

I'd still say Bayo, Uche and Horgan would be in with a shout but I'm going for our Sean Devine style January loan signing.

Oh they all count.
    I'm never quite sure why people place penalties sub par to tap ins.

Tap ins are often easier, as they're closer, and have less pressure build ups.

• One thing looks probable - JJ would win any tiebreaker with his assists.

• I always think a professional footballer missing a penalty is a disgrace. But im not a professional footballer

@Malone said:

God, imagine having Sean devine in his hay day sign for us now ...

• If we include the EFL Cup, Horgan also has a goal, with Scottie an assist.

• I think “race” is pushing it.

• @drcongo said:
    I think “race” is pushing it.

True - "Walk through quicksand" might be closer!

• Wonder what our lowest top scorer has been in well..league and non league days.

Surely no-one got double figures that season we almost went to non league?

• Had to check. Matt McClure got 9 in 2013-14. So six more for Kashket to avoid worsening that then!

• edited December 2020

Harriman and Thompson with 7 in 2015/16 is surely the lowest of the League era?

• Wiki has Harriman as 6 and Thompson stand alone as 7...but yes the stakes have been lowered then!

Just 3 more for Kashket then!

• edited February 2021

Thought I would update this for all competitions. With JJ out for an uncertain amount of time, Uche may be the favourite now? Such a shame we did not benefit from a full season from him - he would have got to 10-15 goals, surely.

Kashket: 4 - 1
    Jacobson: 3 - 4
    Fred: 2 - 2
    Uche: 2 - 0
    Horgan 1-2
    Admiral: 1-1
    Mehmeti: 1 - 0
    Knight 1-0
    Samuel: 1-0

• Where are you getting your stats from? I've got Jacobson with 2 in the League but may well be wrong.

• This is all comps, so that penalty in the cup would count. Relying on the beeb, though.

• Ah sorry, I thought the second figure was cups. Just read original post, cheers

• Really heating up now!

Jacobson: 4 - 4
    Fred: 2 - 2
    Uche: 2 - 0
    Mehmeti: 2 - 0
    Knight 2-0
    Horgan 1-3

• I thought Memessi had made a couple of assists but perhaps I’m thinking of “assists” which, like too many, didn’t lead to a goal being scored.

• Just because it is a slow Friday afternoon...

Jacobson: 4 - 4
    Fred: 3 - 2
    Uche: 3 - 0
    Knight 2-0
    Horgan 1-3
    Stewart: 1- 1

This could get pretty thrilling. Poor Scottie and JJ have not had the chance to add to their leads (with the recent penalties, JJ might be on 6 if so), and both Fred and Uche have climbed to within one.

I would have to make Uche the hot favourite now, unless JJ somehow makes it back soon.

• Can't be many seasons where a striker misses half of the season but is still just one goal off top.

• Didn't Sean Devine reach top goalscorer after joining in February or March? Or has that become a myth in my head?

Not sure there is another team in our league with so many goalscorers in such a narrow grouping. The race is on and anyone could win. Even own goals

Didn't Sean Devine reach top goalscorer after joining in February or March? Or has that become a myth in my head?

Not sure there is another team in our league with so many goalscorers in such a narrow grouping. The race is on and anyone could win. Even own goals

I think that's right. 8 in the last twelve games that kept us up.

• 98/99 top scorers (because it's a wet saturday morning!)

Devine 8
    Baird 7
    Carroll 6
    McSporran 5
    Scott 5
    Brown 5
    Simpson 4
    Read 3
    Stallard 3
    Lawrence 2
    Mohan 2
    Ryan 2
    Emblen 2
    Bulman 1
    Cornforth 1
    McCarthy 1

I didn't realize the goals against Wigan and Lincoln were Emblen's only two of the season.

• Will always remember being at the Reading away game, when Devine scored his first goal.

2-0 down, crowd getting frustrated, none so more than my mate who shouted as Devine picked the ball up 25 yards out, "well do something with it then".

Seconds later, he'd done just that and smashed a superb shot in.

We all traipsed out thinking relegation was a definite though, before that incredible comeback.

Always remember Cousins bravely storming in to score a header away at Bristol Rovers, and having to come off injured.

• We left Reading five points off 23rd and eight points off 20th. It’s never over till it’s over.

Matty Lawrence’s 40 yard daisy cutter at Macclesfield is the goal that stands out in my mind.

• @floyd said:
    We left Reading five points off 23rd and eight points off 20th. It’s never over till it’s over.

Matty Lawrence’s 40 yard daisy cutter at Macclesfield is the goal that stands out in my mind.

That sounds an epic one, but not one I remember for some reason.

The Russell Martin strike in the 4-5 game v Macclesfield I remember well, up there with the best ever strikes I've seen live.

• Jacobson: 4 - 5
    Uche: 3 - 0
    Knight 2-0
    Tafazolli: 2 - 0
    Horgan 1-3

JJ being found out as predicted. Just the 9 goal involvements including a chunk of missed games.

Taffs staking a late claim? This race is a thrill a minute. It will take at least 5 total to beat the lefty Welsh Wizard...

• Uche's to lose?

Jacobson: 4 - 5
    Uche: 4 - 0
    Knight 2-0
    Tafazolli: 2 - 0
    Horgan 1-3

• @Malone said:
    Will always remember being at the Reading away game, when Devine scored his first goal.

2-0 down, crowd getting frustrated, none so more than my mate who shouted as Devine picked the ball up 25 yards out, "well do something with it then".

Seconds later, he'd done just that and smashed a superb shot in.

We all traipsed out thinking relegation was a definite though, before that incredible comeback.

Always remember Cousins bravely storming in to score a header away at Bristol Rovers, and having to come off injured.

Weirdly similar, at that Reading game, I said something like “he was pony at Fisher” about five reckons before Devine smashed that home. Bloke in front rightly turned on me as part of his celebration as did several others. Also weird as he wasn’t bad at Fisher really.

Remember that moment clear as day but couldn’t tell you half the results this season.