Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Comments

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Just had an enjoyable read of the Huddersfield match day thread. It opens with some pretty disparaging remarks against our club and players, that go into overdrive when they are two up. I won’t give any spoilers about how it ends

That Huddersfield commentator certainly got quieter and less proud as it went on.

Our boys may have sorted the sound out a little, but I like to think it was the growing gloom that did it.

• @Shev said:

I don't think Mehmeti is going to be the answer every game, as he is still young, which is why I wish we had Freeman. Not the same player, but that creative fulcrum role is so vital to our chances.

I Like freemen, I really do. But for me there’s one big difference between him and Mehmeti. Delivering on their promise.

Freeman has always been close but never quite delivered for me.

Mehmeti is delivering in the championship. He needs nurturing and he won’t deliver in every game. But he’s delivered when needed while Freeman has only ever shown flashes.

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Dreaded wheel of death for me, anyone else?

What time did you sign in? Just recently? Seems to be more of a risk than if you sign in 30mins early for some reason!

Apologies @Malone only just seen your enquiry.
    Signed in about 3/5 mins before KO. Every other time, usually circa 20 minutes beforehand, which would give credence to your theory about signing in too close to the kick off.

• @TheDancingYak - I agree Mehmeti has more potential, perhaps, but he going to blow hot and cold, and to me it was ideal to have two options, whether you are sold on Freeman or not. Freeman looked good in that role the last couple of chances he got.

I think the sky is the limit for Mehmeti, but where is our fallback if he has a bad game? Even if you are not sold on Freeman (and evidently few are) was it really more important to bring in Nnamdi than have two creative options?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Dreaded wheel of death for me, anyone else?

What time did you sign in? Just recently? Seems to be more of a risk than if you sign in 30mins early for some reason!

Apologies @Malone only just seen your enquiry.
    Signed in about 3/5 mins before KO. Every other time, usually circa 20 minutes beforehand, which would give credence to your theory about signing in too close to the kick off.

I'm certain it makes a big difference, as at times, I've run ifollow with Sky/BT/Netflix on another screen at the same time.
    Yet if i sign in late, I can barely get a decent stream with nothing else open, even a second internet tab for the gasroom.

• Easy to pick out Mehmeti as he is the kind of player that excites and we pay to watch. One aspect of his game I particularly like is his surprising pace. Good midfielders in that roll can do fantastic things with a 5 yard sprint that gets them a different angle or past an opposing player. He has quick feet too and a great eye. Genuinely struggle to think of one of OUR players that looked so promising. Even going back to John Cornforth.

• edited February 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Easy to pick out Mehmeti as he is the kind of player that excites and we pay to watch. One aspect of his game I particularly like is his surprising pace. Good midfielders in that roll can do fantastic things with a 5 yard sprint that gets them a different angle or past an opposing player. He has quick feet too and a great eye. Genuinely struggle to think of one of OUR players that looked so promising. Even going back to John Cornforth.

I might be mis-remembering Cornforth, but wasn't he a stocky, pretty slow, ball player, who was so immobile that fans at the time christened the centre circle the "Corn circle".

• @Shev said:
    In the Nnamdi thread you directly sniped at my comments about the need for a creative fulcrum.

I don't think I have ever "sniped" at you, but if I have inadvertently done so, then I apologise.

My opinion is that Freeman, whilst creative, is not Championship standard and it is much better for him to be getting games at Orient than sitting on the bench at best with us. All teams need a creative element, but they have to be effective and have some end product. Whilst they are totally different players, I feel that Nnamdi would overall bring more to the team than Freeman.

Mehmeti is 5 years younger than Freeman and already delivers a positive end product. He has more natural skill and "possibly" a better goal threat. He should be a regular for the rest of the season and hopefully we can tie him down longer term.

We all have different view on players. For instance the majority rate Horgan very highly, whilst I think he flatters to deceive. I think we need to agree to disagree on Freeman!

• Horgan had a superb game today I thought

• @eric_plant said:
    Horgan had a superb game today I thought

That is the good thing about football we all have different views. I thought Knight and Mehmeti were the standouts.

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Easy to pick out Mehmeti as he is the kind of player that excites and we pay to watch. One aspect of his game I particularly like is his surprising pace. Good midfielders in that roll can do fantastic things with a 5 yard sprint that gets them a different angle or past an opposing player. He has quick feet too and a great eye. Genuinely struggle to think of one of OUR players that looked so promising. Even going back to John Cornforth.

I might be mis-remembering Cornforth, but wasn't he a stocky, pretty slow, ball player, who was so immobile that fans at the time christened the centre circle the "Corn circle".

Cornforth was a shadow of the player dazzled for Swansea by the time he arrived with us. Would be interesting to see what letters would be given to him by the new Football Manager style position people.

Still so happy we won today. So well deserved by so many people. Not all interested in the squabbles over who said what player was better. We won

• @mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

That is the good thing about football we all have different views. I thought Knight and Mehmeti were the standouts.

I thought they were both superb as well, as was Uche

• @mooneyman - fair enough, and a very gracious reply from you too, cheers.

Obviously we all want the same thing either way. Maybe I have become a little too frustrated by feeling like we need to play a certain way. It's easy for something else to be the answer when we have been on such a bad run.

• I don’t care whether we stay up (I obviously do, but for the purposes of this post) but that second half was back to Ainsworth’s Wycombe. So much fight, great tackling, moving the ball well at times, direct rather than hopeful long balls at others, and relentless pressure on the opponents in possession. Huge credit to the players and management as I thought we looked like we were running on empty again for a lot of the first half (energy and closing down wise, we actually played some decent stuff at times).

Knight had a good game in the middle - if he gets a run of games there he will only get better as well as his fitness for the position increases. Mehmeti really was excellent, a lovely player and a cracking goal today. We must get him on a long term contract, an absolute priority.

Along with many others, I’ve been asking for Horgan and McCleary out wide for a while and it was great to see them both out there. I actually don’t think personally it was either of their best games and Garath particularly does seem to still be struggling a bit physically, presumably after Covid. But their ability is superior out wide to what else we have and we perform better and have more threat with them out there.

And Uche....oh Uche. He really is a joy to watch. Get quality ball into his feet or chest with his back to goal and he is absolutely fantastic, a dream of a player. He can turn and drive at opponents and is such a threat. We must keep hold of him.

And great game JJ, hope he’s ok for Tuesday.

It’s still a massive long shot to stay up but win on Tuesday and you never know. Can we put back to back performances together though.....most importantly today we saw the fight and togetherness back which bodes well for 21/22, whatever division we are in.

• It's funny - no matter where you are on the pessimism/realism/optimism spectrum, it just takes one win for all of us to have that little feeling..."we couldn't, could we?"

• @mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

That is the good thing about football we all have different views. I thought Knight and Mehmeti were the standout

for.me.Uche was by far the best player on the pitch and.i Bet most of the HTFC would agree - he was unplayable

• I have to be honest, I didn’t see that’s second half coming at all. Where we found that belief and confidence I do not know and great credit must go to the team and management. The goal before HT was obviously key but it must have been quite a half time team talk nonetheless.

Hopefully the turnaround to win from 2-0 down has a dramatic impact on spirit in the group. In the last 5 minutes we saw the kind of fight and desire we’ve become accustomed to from this team and now need the same again on Tuesday.

We’ve had comebacks like this in previous seasons which have proved pivotal and triggered an unbeaten run. We now need to find incredible form to get back in touch with the group ahead and I expect that is beyond us. But today’s result could still be a turning point even if we do ultimately get relegated.

Happy to say that the midfield proved me completely wrong, with Mehmeti and Knight grabbing crucial goals. Shows what I know.

Uche continues to show how absolutely crucial he is going to be to our success over the next few seasons. What a fantastic centre forward performance today. Well done that man!

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Just had an enjoyable read of the Huddersfield match day thread. It opens with some pretty disparaging remarks against our club and players, that go into overdrive when they are two up. I won’t give any spoilers about how it ends

I cannot wait to hear the opposition view on RITB ??

• A couple of people have mentioned if JJ is ok - I was in the kitchen when he went off! Did he hobble / limp off? Or was it more like a sensible thing to do to switch him with Obita on his 1st game back?

Either way, having the option now to bring on fresh legs with a left foot to give impetus when we need it is a good thing to have in the squad. In my opinion the subs were spot on and at the right time today by Gaz - who has been criticised for the substitutions lately.

• @username123 said:
    A couple of people have mentioned if JJ is ok - I was in the kitchen when he went off! Did he hobble / limp off? Or was it more like a sensible thing to do to switch him with Obita on his 1st game back?

Either way, having the option now to bring on fresh legs with a left foot to give impetus when we need it is a good thing to have in the squad. In my opinion the subs were spot on and at the right time today by Gaz - who has been criticised for the substitutions lately.

He wasn’t hobbling but he didn’t look comfortable as he walked off. Could just be tiredness though.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Got a link @Morris_Ital ?

I tried to post but it’s disappeared in the ether.
    However if you google search “Huddersfield town fans forum” it’s the first pick and look for match day thread

• Freeman to me is the equivalent of that 10 year old bottle of Malt Whisky from Skye that has sat at the back of the cupboard for the last 5 years. You know it tastes okay but to fully appreciate it you know the timing and mood needs to be just right, but just now and then it really hits the spot.

In front of it is the bottle(s) of Bushmills (and I agree Blackbush is best) that are always within reach and can usually be relied on.

It always feels good knowing that that bottle of malt is there for when you do need it though.

Not sure replacing it to make space for yet another bottle of Bushmills makes too much sense to me

• AOTD, @bookertease (a for analogy)

• Wait, is Mehmeti the Bushmills? He seems to me an Albanian brandy. You know you're taking a chance when you buy it in the duty free but it's cheap and perhaps worth the risk. You take it home, try it and it blows your mind. Soon it becomes a go to drink. But you rave about it so much that soon everyone wants it and once the trendy magazines start writing about it the resell value shoots up...

• Indeed Huddersfield fans very upset for some reason.

• Gosh, I sooooo miss Vital and the Opposition view.?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Gosh, I sooooo miss Vital and the Opposition view.?

Same

• I’m no vital but here are some of my personal edited highlights

Let's make this clear: Wycombe completely deserved their win. And that's the most galling thing. A side with a fraction of the budget but with a million times the heart and desire. Technically limited, but physically giving their all. Who can we say did that for us? None.

said:Injuries my arse. We have spaffed £200 million and now have team worth less than a second-hand toothbrush.
    Recruitment is awful.
    Wycombes budget for this season is £4,5 mill

said:THAT WAS AN UTTER F###### DISGRACE ! - SHAME ON YOU TOWN AND SHAME ON YOU COBERAN FOR ALLOWING A 2-0 LEAD SLIP AWAY TO A SIDE PROMOTED LAST YEAR FROM A LEAGE WHERE YOU WILL BE MANAGING NEXT SEASON. Assuming you last that f###### long.
    Get a f###### grip and sort yourself out Coberan and sort the shower of shit you call a team out as well !
    Learn a plan B that when you are winning you change your tactics to defend ! - and PLAY A FORMATION that isnt something the under 5's play on their local rec on a Sunday morning.

Either that or f### off back to Beeston !

• Just to reiterate, this is Wycombe we are talking about. The worst team in the league. Absolute trash. Town have a home game against them and people are shitting themselves. Anything less than a win is going to be a huge embarrassment. I predict a victory, a small one at that, otherwise Town will be a laughing stock.