Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Comments

• Almost a first choice team there...apart from the
    knight/thompson surprise...players in the right place doing what they should be doing. Great stuff.

• JJ coming back in helped as well.
    Easy to forget he was missing since Tottenham.

• Let’s hope he’s not injured again.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@kiscokid said:
    Second half Knight was a monster. Mehmeti is our most skilful baller since .... Freeman !

Probably the main reason Freeman was deemed ok to loan out.
    Two superb goals this season, and a much higher ceiling.

A lot of revisionist history going on here. Five minutes ago we did not need Freeman OR Mehmeti, and those of us crying out for midfield creativity were obsessed.

I don't remember anyone saying we should boot Mehmeti out.
    He was superb today, but we still have to nurture him.

Yeah you’re right, we shouldn’t run him into the ground so we’ll need to bring our other silky, ball holding midfielder in from time to time.

Oh, hang on.

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:

@kiscokid said:
    Second half Knight was a monster. Mehmeti is our most skilful baller since .... Freeman !

A lot of revisionist history going on here. Five minutes ago we did not need Freeman OR Mehmeti, and those of us crying out for midfield creativity were obsessed.

Where has anyone said we didn't need Mehmeti? He is younger than Freeman, more mobile and has much greater potential.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@kiscokid said:

I don't remember anyone saying we should boot Mehmeti out.
    He was superb today, but we still have to nurture him.

Yeah you’re right, we shouldn’t run him into the ground so we’ll need to bring our other silky, ball holding midfielder in from time to time.

Oh, hang on.

I always know a burn is coming my way when I see you quoted :)

• I like Freeman, but Mehmeti is operating on a different level. The kid is fantastic

• Seriously? A handful of us were very clearly explaining why we needed creativity in that role, and that getting rid of one of the two midfielders who could play that way was not a good idea. Not only that, but we have been stating how we should have been playing this way for a while. Composure on the ball in the middle, enabling us to pick creative forward passes in and around the centre of the area.

I'm not going to dig out all those posts on such a happy day, but it's amazing how quickly people forget these conversations.

• edited February 2021

@Shev said:
    Seriously? A handful of us were very clearly explaining why we needed creativity in that role, and that getting rid of one of the two midfielders who could play that way was not a good idea. Not only that, but we have been stating how we should have been playing this way for a while. Composure on the ball in the middle, enabling us to pick creative forward passes in and around the centre of the area.

I'm not going to dig out all those posts on such a happy day, but it's amazing how quickly people forget these conversations.

We didn't win just because of Mehmeti today. We had a range of superb performers, of which he was one.
    Knight going into midfield was a huge gamechanger, as it allowed Mehmeti to do his thing in a way he may not have been able to otherwise.

We also fielded Horgan and McCleary as a pair for the first time in ages.
    It all added up beautifully, and I hope we can bottle today's magic and use it again.

• Amazing result. Mehmeti is going to be a fantastic player. Knight in midfield looks good . The front three will cause teams problems. Yes @glasshalffull we do need to tighten up defensively. Sloppy goals. Hopefully the win will raise confidence all round.

Bollocking from Rob every week please.

• Football, bloody hell

• @Shev said:
    Seriously? A handful of us were very clearly explaining why we needed creativity in that role, and that getting rid of one of the two midfielders who could play that way was not a good idea. Not only that, but we have been stating how we should have been playing this way for a while. Composure on the ball in the middle, enabling us to pick creative forward passes in and around the centre of the area.

Ok. Ok. It was all down to you. Can we enjoy the win without the arguments?

• Freeman is not even near the class of Mehmeti - not that there’s any shame in that. I’ve never seen him get involved and dictate things like Anis did today. He has taken his opportunity in a way that Freeman never quite managed.

• What a performance by a young man who was playing non league football only last season. He’s a great prospect and when he gets stronger and more experienced he is going to be some player.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Garath has really stepped it up this half. He, Horgan, Mehmeti and Uche look cracking this half.

Agree, they could be building a very good understanding. I think they (and Fred) are our most comfortable players in possession, especially in the final third.

Notable how well we played the ball around the Huddersfield box today. Pick your best players and the formation matters less.

• What an utterly joyous result!

• Please can we start Horgan and McCleary together every week? They are both class players.

And it worked playing Ikpeazu as a solo striker rather than adding Kashket or Admiral alongside.

Well done Gareth, brave line up today....especially to pick Mehmeti ahead of Thompson.

• I got a ‘lucky’ set of football themed socks for Christmas. My daughter carefully selected a pair for each game so far since and nothing has worked as painful defeat followed painful defeat.

This morning I picked up an old pair, the kind that could have been worn on a cold Adam’s Park afternoon when we came from behind against Carlisle, or Doncaster. The kind of pair that keeps going and going, never knowing when to give up, even when faced with an imminent retirement or an old injury scar here and there.

There’s still space for this pair in my drawer for many a match yet this season. Believe.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I got a ‘lucky’ set of football themed socks for Christmas. My daughter carefully selected a pair for each game so far since and nothing has worked as painful defeat followed painful defeat.

This morning I picked up an old pair, the kind that could have been worn on a cold Adam’s Park afternoon when we came from behind against Carlisle, or Doncaster. The kind of pair that keeps going and going, never knowing when to give up, even when faced with an imminent retirement or an old injury scar here and there.

There’s still space for this pair in my drawer for many a match yet this season. Believe.

It’s why they originally called it socker, apparently!

• Thing is, early on Mehmeti was taking too long on passes, was weak, and overplaying, yet still stood out hugely. When he gets a good run and gets properly in form, he will be immense

• Will certainly be an interesting next team selection.

Can we put the same line out again? I'd hope so.

• I think it depends if JJ is injured or not

• With Mehmeti I think the adage of if he's good enough he's old enough is a good one. How do they get better or more experienced with ten minute run outs? He played 95 minutes today and got better as the game went on. I can understand it to a degree with defenders for whom mistakes can be costly...but an attacking player playing with no fear is worth a misplaced pass or two. I think we saw it before with Phillips...he was in and out being nurtured when we needed some style under Taylor.

• I thought moving Knight to midfield was inspired. eh> @Blue_since_1990 said:

Keep Knight in midfield, he made such a difference.

He put me in mind of a certain Tommy Doherty. Totally bossed it today.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:

We didn't win just because of Mehmeti today. We had a range of superb performers, of which he was one.
    Knight going into midfield was a huge gamechanger, as it allowed Mehmeti to do his thing in a way he may not have been able to otherwise.

It all added up beautifully, and I hope we can bottle today's magic and use it again.

Apologies for choosing your post to pick on, @Malone - I always find your posts interesting.

I don't think Mehmeti is going to be the answer every game, as he is still young, which is why I wish we had Freeman. Not the same player, but that creative fulcrum role is so vital to our chances.

• At the start of the season, I refereed a couple of B team matches in which Anis Mehmeti played. When you’re out on the field and running close by these players, you get an innate sense of their talent, close control, their ability to pass, turn, dictate. I saw all of this and remarked as much to Dobbo after both matches. There are a couple more out there too. You have to give the coaches credit for finding these guys. But credit Anis too for his remarkable progress.
    So hope Wycombe can keep hold of him. Others will undoubtedly be sniffing but he would be immense wherever the club find themselves next season.

• @mooneyman said:

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@kiscokid said:

Where has anyone said we didn't need Mehmeti? He is younger than Freeman, more mobile and has much greater potential.

In the Nnamdi thread you directly sniped at my comments about the need for a creative fulcrum.

• edited February 2021

@Shev said:

@Malone said:

@Shev said:

Apologies for choosing your post to pick on, @Malone - I always find your posts interesting.

I don't think Mehmeti is going to be the answer every game, as he is still young, which is why I wish we had Freeman. Not the same player, but that creative fulcrum role is so vital to our chances.

Don't worry - I got you mean in general, as opposed to be specifically :)

I wonder if Mehmeti might have been the player we turned a bid down for. Maybe he's not quite been noticed yet though. A couple more goals like that though, and he'll be on people's shopping lists for certain.

I'm still unsure on Freeman. He still strikes me as being someone who only suits certain games, and not in the same way as with Mehmeti.

As others say, I think the quality level is different now, let alone if Mehmeti develops.

I also think McCleary has the quality on the ball and is a different option as well.
    Horgan I genuinely can't get a handle on. He's got something, but I'm not sure it's the flair we all thought.

• There's a world of difference between Freeman and Mehmeti. Just because they play broadly the same position and in a similar style doesn't mean they have a similar impact on games.

At 20 years old Mehmeti is already streets ahead of Freeman who is 100 games into his professional career. Which is no insult to Nick, he's clearly a talented player and will still hopefully have a long career in the game, but he just isn't at the required level the club currently find themselves at.

• Just had an enjoyable read of the Huddersfield match day thread. It opens with some pretty disparaging remarks against our club and players, that go into overdrive when they are two up. I won’t give any spoilers about how it ends