Skip to content

Rob Couhig message to supporters

Comments

• What a shame he didn’t send this email out a few weeks ago.

• I think he needs to to do one every week now .... crank up the heat. Best performance so far in the champ. Barely any hoof. Mehmeti sublime.

• He’s a gambler, Rob. And it’s paid off here. I bet everyone (with a few exceptions on here) is buzzing tonight.

• edited February 2021

We may still not stay up, but if we can put anything like that in regularly, we'll at least have given it a real go.

• Just so pleased with the reaction of the team to the rallying call. This spirit and togetherness is what took us so far

• Let’s please not give anything other than the tiniest credit to this email for today’s win. It was all down to the players and management today. Keeping going at 2-0 down, frustrating the opposition style and finally taking over the game. I know many hadn’t given up on them but to those who had maybe you’ve changed your mind

• I quitke liked the fact that PC was joking about it all the way through the game as well. Defusing any thoughts of bad feeling. Will Rob be bollocking before every game and will STs get an email after every one?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Let’s please not give anything other than the tiniest credit to this email for today’s win. It was all down to the players and management today. Keeping going at 2-0 down, frustrating the opposition style and finally taking over the game. I know many hadn’t given up on them but to those who had maybe you’ve changed your mind

Absolutely. Credit for this win is to Ainsworth and the players, not Couhig.

• Glad the nonsense about how Dobbo had decided solo on those 2 wins earlier in the season can be put to bed now too.

• @Malone said:
    Glad the nonsense about how Dobbo had decided solo on those 2 wins earlier in the season can be put to bed now too.

Why do you think it can be put to bed?

• @aloysius said:

@Malone said:
    Glad the nonsense about how Dobbo had decided solo on those 2 wins earlier in the season can be put to bed now too.

Well maybe not in your mind. But you do have a very "individual" take on things.

• @aloysius said:

@Malone said:

Because it’s not true despite your stubborn insistence to the contrary.

• @glasshalffull said:

@aloysius said:

@Malone said:

Are you betraying the privilege of inside knowledge there?

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@aloysius said:

@Malone said:

Are you betraying the privilege of inside knowledge there?

Certainly not. It is an accepted fact that Gaz and Dobbo are a partnership who have the greatest respect for each other. It was mentioned by both men that Gaz had an input to team selection and tactics for the games he missed because of his back injury, so your question is wide of the mark.

• I think his tongue was in his cheek when he asked it...

• I am under no illusion that RC’s email got us a win today. But the fact that GA, AH, and others referenced it is telling. The meeting may have been a joint rallying cry rather than the bollocking some outsiders thought. Whatever, we seemed as unified as we did in July. And that’s just fine with me

• I feel that this is how RC behaves and inputs to his concerns (legal or business) and it's a measure of the man and his wider family. Thank you for your involvement Rob and long may it continue.

• Yeah, Why not give RC a bit of credit alongside the team and management? Yesterday was brilliant and in sharp contrast to what even the most optimistic of us thought we were going to get for the next few months. Important they keep the focus and that we don't then hammer them when we inevitably lose a game to someone better than Huddersfield are or make a bad pass or tackle. Sure, he didn't play or set the team out but he tackled a problem head on, set a standard and maybe galvanized us for the challenge ahead. Definitely gave us a bit of light. He gambled and won yesterday and was getting plenty of stick in the first half that would have escalated if we lost or if Gaz and team had taken it badly. A certain poster suggested he'd made the situation infinitely worse.
    Seen a bit of it on here but had to laugh at the FB page this morning. In short: It's either Gaz or Robs doing entirely depending on who you like best. If you slagged off any aspect of the team previously you are massively vindicated. If you didn't you are a fool. Everyone who played is Championship class and must play every week unless they were in anyway to blame for the goals in which case they are non-league or past it like everyone in the squad who didn't play.

• That pretty much sums up the standard of discourse online these days.

• I heard this wonderful description of the standard of discourse on Twitter by England rugby coach Eddie Jones: ‘The people who used to write on toilet walls now write on Twitter.’

• You're right @StrongestTeam I wasnt sure about Rob's message but the fact Pete and Matt were joking about it during commentary meant it was not something intended to instill fear and it probably helped Gaz to enthuse the side and even encouraged changes cannot be discounted. So kudos to whole management team.

• Not sure if that is meant as a compliment or a criticism, but either way I found his jibe amusing and with an element of truth.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Not sure if that is meant as a compliment or a criticism, but either way I found his jibe amusing and with an element of truth.

As in I totally agree. Sorry was not suggesting any nut based slight.

• @Wendoverman said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Not sure if that is meant as a compliment or a criticism, but either way I found his jibe amusing and with an element of truth.

As in I totally agree. Sorry was not suggesting any nut based slight.

?

• This is fascinating. Some people (me included) think Matt and Pete were fairly obviously joking about elements of Rob's position, others believe they were in fear of being banished to the gulags.

It just goes to show that we all look for (and find) words, inferences and even plain old wishful thinking, to support the position that we've already decided upon.

• I speak with Rob about his email to fans on this week’s RTB

• edited February 2021

I enjoy how the Gasroom manages to debate rationally and respectfully the big themes of football, society and politics. Debate is more respectful than it is in any other fora.

So: Republican Louisiana US Senator Bill Cassidy voted that Trump was guilty of Incitement to Insurrection yesterday. He was one of only two Senators to change his mind during the Senate impeachment trial.

I know not if Rob Couhig, as a prominent republican lawyer in Louisiana, has contact with his state's US Senator. I can hope that Rob has used his influence there to make a small impact in the result in the US Senate, Certainly did use his influence here with a determined attempt to impact yesterday's game and the rest of our season.

I pose the question because I believe that Rob's experiences of working with Wycombe Wanderers can only have been positive with regard to the sincere way that the club acts to tackle racism, the way the club uses a spirit of working and caring for each other to defy established expectations and how the club achieves much with with a well directed budget. For me Trump exemplified the exact opposite of all three of these values.

Few of us get to have much influence in really big matters, like our first season in the Championship and the nature of western democracy, I wonder if our owner has given both a nudge in the right direction.

Not suggesting that @bluntphil should have asked him, although sometime it would be interesting to know what Rob thinks he has learnt from his ownership of our club.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I heard this wonderful description of the standard of discourse on Twitter by England rugby coach Eddie Jones: ‘The people who used to write on toilet walls now write on Twitter.’

But can anyone tell me where the prophets who used to write on _subway _walls write now? The silence is deafening.

• Cassidy was reelected to the Senate a few months ago so has 6 years to assume people will forget what he did. Not that many people know what he did anyway.