Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Comments

• How smug is Rob Couhig feeling right now?! What a game!

• Absolutely brilliant stuff. Bold formation/ selection from Gareth pays off! The come back starts here ! ?
    Up yours @Wanderers82 - I hope Wigan stuff you at home tomorrow!!!

• Sensational scenes. Uche is absolute quality. The best we’ve been all season in the second half and we look like a team of players who’ve actually played together. Same side on Tuesday please.

• The belief is back, well done lads that was incredible ?... Ainsworth really went for that in the second half, fantastic stuff!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Keep Knight in midfield, he made such a difference.

Am hoping we've finally stumbled on the line up to maximise returns.

• It is impossible to single out players in that game. What character to come back for 2-0 down. Everyone in the right place, doing what they should be doing. Confidence just oozing at the end with tackles flying in everywhere.

I am so pleased for Gareth, the players and (almost) all of us! Have a fantastic night people ? ⚽️ ?

• Best half of football we’ve played all season and even if we can’t stay up, at least it feels like we’re back to the Wycombe way of not giving up.

I won’t give all credit to Rob C, clearly it’s the players and the management staff that are in control on match day, but I also do think it’s funny sometimes what a rallying call from a leader can do, regardless of whether everyone agreed with the approach, sometimes you need to make people a little angry to get a result.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:

For someone who has publicly said he doesn't like playing in midfield, he certainly looked at home.

• That's the resilience that took up top of the table last season and the never say die tenacity that has been missing of late. I know they say don't get too high and don't get too low, but we need to wring every last bit of positivity and confidence from this result and bring it into the next game.

• Second half Knight was a monster. Mehmeti is our most skilful baller since .... Freeman !

• @jessvl1 totally agree. I’ve worked in places where we’ve got down, felt sorry for ourselves and deserved a small kick up the arse / rallying call. No need to get so stressed about a bit of straight talking and I’m sure the characters in our team will come through unscathed.

• Delicious. What a class pair Uche and Mehmeti are.

• I really hope Mehmeti signed more than a one year deal or has some sort of clause in his contract that means we can extend at our discretion.

Because if I was his agent, I’d be seeing this guy as a payday come the summer.

• Nothing beats a classic Wycombe comeback win! Terrific performance, absolutely dominated that 2nd half. Brilliant stuff from Uche and Mehmeti!

• @mooneyman said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

For someone who has publicly said he doesn't like playing in midfield, he certainly looked at home.

He did didn’t he. And he’ll get more goals.

• @Brownie said:
    And that's game over before half time.

???????⚽️?

• @kiscokid said:
    Second half Knight was a monster. Mehmeti is our most skilful baller since .... Freeman !

There’s belief in himself too and he is more than a few tricks and clever touches. He’ll make errors but he’s young and going places. He may, just may, take us with him this year.

• @drcongo said:
    I’m starting to see what so many find so frustrating about Horgan.

@Wendoverman said:
    Mcleary and Horgan best games for us so far? Great to see them both on the pitch i think.

My favourite minute of today’s match day thread

• @arnos_grove said:

@Brownie said:
    And that's game over before half time.

???????⚽️?

And never have I been more happy to be proven wrong!! Love this team.

• That Knight goal was quite like the one he scored against us for Peterborough last season. He did well though let's not write off Thompson in that role, he's not had the chance to play in such a balanced formation yet this season.

Today shows what you can do when you play with a team of players at their prime rather than trying to shoehorn in Bayo, Bloomfield or Charles. It also shows what you can do when you play with width, and allow creative wide players to jink into the box, chip in balls and play to feet alongside a creative central talent.

I'm delighted for the win tonight. But also a little sad at what might have been if we'd tried to do this earlier in the season. While it wouldn't have worked until Uche returned that that was a couple of months ago now. But hey ho - at least we're finally learning how to compete at this level.

• Never understood the ‘2-0 is a dangerous score line’ epithet.
    I do now.
    When they write the history this will be right up there. Well done lads, onwards.

• halle bloody luya that more like it

• Looking forward to playing Huddersfield again next year.

• @kiscokid said:
    Second half Knight was a monster. Mehmeti is our most skilful baller since .... Freeman !

Probably the main reason Freeman was deemed ok to loan out.
    Two superb goals this season, and a much higher ceiling.

• What a performance!

Spot on from Ainsworth today. I think we played pretty well first half and were a little unlucky to be 2-0 down. Their first goal Bacuna was offside when the first ball was played to Campbell, we played an excellent high line, so disappointing the official missed it.

Great finish from Mehmeti, two ball winners behind him and he can do his magic. Finally Horgan and McCleary were holding the touchline a lot more and helping our full backs out a lot of the time. The five across the park worked really well allowing us to battle in the midfield and also out wide.

We showed we can pass the ball at pace and interchange that with some direct play. The second half was everything I think a lot of posters have been convinced we could produce given the encouragement.

Well done Gareth and Dobbo, thoroughly deserved with the change in tactics. A rocket from Couhig looks like it's had the desired affect! COYB!

• Happy days ,well done boys ,I can watch the football league show on quest for the first time in months

• @Malone said:

@kiscokid said:

A lot of revisionist history going on here. Five minutes ago we did not need Freeman OR Mehmeti, and those of us crying out for midfield creativity were obsessed.

• I don't think that particular team - bunch of heroes - has been available together until today.
    JJ was important. All three goalscorers were wonderful. Uche was very very good. And we have missed Stewart at his best.

Of course it was Pete's commentary that really did it.

• @aloysius said:
    That Knight goal was quite like the one he scored against us for Peterborough last season. He did well though let's not write off Thompson in that role, he's not had the chance to play in such a balanced formation yet this season.

Today shows what you can do when you play with a team of players at their prime rather than trying to shoehorn in Bayo, Bloomfield or Charles. It also shows what you can do when you play with width, and allow creative wide players to jink into the box, chip in balls and play to feet alongside a creative central talent.

I'm delighted for the win tonight. But also a little sad at what might have been if we'd tried to do this earlier in the season. While it wouldn't have worked until Uche returned that that was a couple of months ago now. But hey ho - at least we're finally learning how to compete at this level.

Charles?! How have you managed to have a go at Charles in a wycombe win?

• @Shev said:

@Malone said:

@kiscokid said:

A lot of revisionist history going on here. Five minutes ago we did not need Freeman OR Mehmeti, and those of us crying out for midfield creativity were obsessed.

I don't remember anyone saying we should boot Mehmeti out.
    He was superb today, but we still have to nurture him.