Skip to content

Fans in Stadiums

Just seen Boy George announce that he can have 3000 people in the SSE Arena Wembley which holds 11000 on 19th December. When will football fans be allowed in?

Comments

• That does seem quite a startling thing to announce with 2 weeks of lockdown left, and no guarantee it'll be lifted.

Didn't the Couhig's seem surprisingly optimistic that fans would be let back in over Christmas though? Maybe there is something agreed in the background.

• @davecz said:
    Just seen Boy George announce that he can have 3000 people in the SSE Arena Wembley which holds 11000 on 19th December. When will football fans be allowed in?

Are you saying he’s allowed 3000 people as long as they’re not football fans?

• @drcongo - don’t give up your day job!!

• I would imagine it's an opportunity to pilot the mass testing programme. Much easier to do at a one off concert than it is at 40-odd simultaneous football matches.

Instead of moaning, you could see it as a positive step in the right direction? If it works and infection rates don't increase, it makes it much more likely the technology will be rolled out sooner and football can can get back to allowing spectators in.

• Harsh to blame just him... that's all politicians in general

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Harsh to blame just him... that's all politicians in general

Not sure anyone is just blaming him also he is supposed to be in charge, and it's probably not actually that harsh to blame him if you take even a quarter of a second to look at his record on this or anything else in his career

• edited November 2020

Is it just me me or is the amount of chat in the media about clubs in financial trouble quite liw compared to the period when the closures of last season were discussed.
    We've all played roughly the same number of games cancelled in the lower leagues and all without crowds. I really hope the lack of nouse is good news but fear it might not be. Ryan Reynolds can't save us all.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Is it just me me or is the amount of chat in the media about clubs in financial trouble quite liw compared to the period when the closures of last season were discussed.
    We've all played roughly the same number of games cancelled in the lower leagues and all without crowds. I really hope the lack of nouse is good news but fear it might not be. Rtam Reynolds can't save us all.

I think there's been some allowance from HMRC , either just to not chase for a bit cos covid, or on the basis a saviour is coming (Prem crumbs), Rob mentioned it the other day and suggested several clubs are not paying due tax at the moment as well as any borrowing.

Have only heard about Southend recently but they have ongoing issues.

• It was interesting (and somewhat surprising) to see a crowd watching the cricket in Chennai this morning. The proposal was for 15,000 and at times, with air horns blaring and typically noisy Indian fans, it sounded as if there might have been that sort of number. Not much evidence of social distancing though.

• I was surprised as well @micra . Wonder what happened to the ball on the few occasions the crowd threw it back ?

• There was no attempt at distancing and the ball just appeared to be tossed back into play.

• I reckon the third umpire will struggle to carry out his Rupee laden brief case at the end of play today.

• Saw that tweet and was briefly hopeful for a second. Then saw it was from November!

Otherwise, the papers seem to be talking about very gradual unlocking, and May seems to be bandied about as being back to the equivalent of tier 2.

Therefore, I suspect the best we can hope for is getting a single game in May back in the ground.

• Ah yes @ChasHarps. The curtailed review. Scandalous. But Rahane obviously accepted that he’d gloved it and sacrificed his wicket. Yeah, right!
    But we did get the review back.

• Very cautious Boris...led by Sage scientists who are all on full pay

• I tend not to believe anything Bozzer or his government say. Notice how its the government vaccination scheme (actually run successfully by the NHS) and the NhS test and trace (ruinously run by the government)?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Very cautious Boris...led by Sage scientists who are all on full pay

Weird post. He's been a shambles throughout. Cronyism, Dithering and delay. And why would we not want our scientists on full pay?

• I tend not to call Johnson by his ‘character’ name either.

My other half, who works for the NHS, has the grim pleasure of chaperoning Private Pike himself, Gavin Williamson, this weekend. Ministers out there performing ‘essential work’ by basking in vaccine centre glory.

• edited February 2021

• Williamson once touted as Tory leader. Yes. Steve coogan looky likey...Gavin. god help us.

• There will undoubtedly be some showbiz stunts as we approach the delayed elections in early May. And football gives a posh tory the perfect opportunity to go full on ‘man of the people’.

Johnson will want to cast himself as the Churchill-esque vanquisher of Covid, spreading fun and joy to all (before probably locking us down again).

So I’d say we’re nailed on for an April return.

• That looks to be a lot more positive stance than the one I read earlier.
    Hope this one is the right one!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Forest_Blue said:

Weird post. He's been a shambles throughout. Cronyism, Dithering and delay. And why would we not want our scientists on full pay?

The thread is titled ‘fans in stadiums’. I believe that Boris being cautious throughout (especially after his own hospitalization) and sage scientists on full pay (while working at home) are two factors that mean this government will not rush to reopen stadia.

All Public sector workers are all on full pay (no furlough) and many have been working from home for a year. I believe that these people are less affected by the lockdowns and that this affects the opinion polls where so many seem to favour continued lock downs. These are killing the economy, affecting mental health, adding to non-COVID deaths and hurting our young people and children massively.

Finally Boris is led by opinion polls and the advisers mentioned above. There is nothing Churchillian about him.

Do you disagree?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@Forest_Blue said:

The thread is titled ‘fans in stadiums’. I believe that Boris being cautious throughout (especially after his own hospitalization) and sage scientists on full pay (while working at home) are two factors that mean this government will not rush to reopen stadia.

He was anything but cautious at the start. Took ages to shut things down the first time.

Also boasting about shaking hands with everyone, even when it was known that was a risk.

• You think Johnson has been “cautious throughout?”

Is that a serious view? If so certainly one I strongly disagree with.

In my view it’s his failure to have been appropriately cautious up until the cock up with schools going back in January that is leading to an excess of caution now.